Author Topic: Tip ups  (Read 728 times)

Offline icefever

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip ups
« on: Nov 13, 2018, 09:11 AM »
What size line and what type of line does everyone rig there tip ups with? Mostly fishing northern and bass and possibly perch on mine. Would like to get away from using leaders if possible?? My heavy 30 lb line always comes off the spool coiled like a slinky.. how do you get away from that?

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2018, 09:16 AM »
Black or green braided Mason Tip-Up line in 20#-30#. I attach it to a 6” black steel leader with a single size 2 VMC Barbarian treble. No issues ever.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2018, 09:25 AM »
I run 30# mason tipup line with mono leader of choice.i run 20 pound mono with size 4 or 6 round gap treble hooks for northerns and have caught them up to 40” without breakoffs.for panfish same setup but with 4 or 6 pound leader with jigs.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2018, 09:35 AM »
I take old 65-80lb Power Pro off my Musky reels, works great.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2018, 10:27 AM »
I run 30# mason tipup line with mono leader of choice.i run 20 pound mono with size 4 or 6 round gap treble hooks for northerns and have caught them up to 40” without breakoffs.for panfish same setup but with 4 or 6 pound leader with jigs.
Same here, I like a little "stretch" in my leaders.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2018, 07:46 PM »
Dacron! As the main line or backing. Lightest weight  your comfortable with.  Flexible in the cold and  doesn't  rot much over the years. Easy to tie, even bad knots hold somewhat. I fish Northerns with 30 lb.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2018, 08:03 PM »
Dacron with 20#  7 strand uncoated leader
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2018, 11:01 PM »
I use 30# Dacron on my Jack traps.  Chase Pike with a 4' fluro leader attached to a 6" red wire and a #6 treble.  Seems to work so far.
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Online Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2018, 07:51 PM »
30 pound Dacron also, with a quick strike rig about 24" long made with 12 or 18lb uncoated sevenstrand wire. I also like white Dacron for the line so I can see which direction the fish is running.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.