Author Topic: Correct way to replace line on spool  (Read 996 times)

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Correct way to replace line on spool
« on: Nov 12, 2018, 12:36 PM »
Is there a correct way to put new line on a spool?
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Correct way to replace line on spool
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2018, 12:41 PM »
There's probably 6 correct ways ;) I put a pencil through the spool of line and reel it on keeping tension.  Easier to do with a helper to hold the spool. Seen some contraption the other day that supposedly does it the "correct way"

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2018, 12:43 PM »
It depends on how the retail spool is spooled up.  If it's precision spooling, I let the spool roll as I spool up just like for baitcasting reels. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2018, 12:47 PM »
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2018, 03:28 PM »
Open bail and tie to spool with an arbor knot.  Pinch line ahead of spool and start winding line with label up on its side. After 15-20 cranks keep line pinched / stop reeling and lower rod towards bulk line spool and look for unnatural twist and kinks in line. If it don’t look good flip spool over and repeat process.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2018, 03:32 PM »
Baitcaster is spooled with line coming off the top of bulk spool and winding on top of reel spool. Agin using an arbor knot.

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2018, 04:50 PM »
There is a video out there where a guy puts the spool in a pail of warm water. If the line starts to twist the spool turns over. I tried it and it works for me. I always did  like the idea of putting mono in warm water before spooling.
Oops! is too late.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2018, 10:19 PM »
There is a video out there where a guy puts the spool in a pail of warm water. If the line starts to twist the spool turns over. I tried it and it works for me. I always did  like the idea of putting mono in warm water before spooling.

How does that effect bulk line spools of 3000 yards over time?
Don

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2018, 08:10 AM »
something I have doing for years is to put cheap 10 lb.-15  clear line on about 60-70% of my spools first, then, tie on my line of choice.. When ice fishing I never get to the inside of the spool, if you do, the line is so coiled, it is useless.I also use a colored line so I can see if I am getting to the heavy stuff. If I then purchase an expensive line or flouro, on a 100 yd spool, I can do 3 reels, and because of the increased arbor size it stays less coiled. for me, a ice reel could have a larger arbor, and only 30 yd, capacity. I learned years ago when changing my line, prolly 70% of it was never used, and could not have been used as it looks like a slinky. That 10 lb stuff I mentioned has been on each reel for years, You can use heavier, it is just meant to make the arbor circumference bigger. So again, if you spring for an expensive floro, know that you are wasting 60-60% of it, good luck to everybody this year and stay safe

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2018, 08:35 AM »
something I have doing for years is to put cheap 10 lb.-15  clear line on about 60-70% of my spools first, then, tie on my line of choice.. When ice fishing I never get to the inside of the spool, if you do, the line is so coiled, it is useless.I also use a colored line so I can see if I am getting to the heavy stuff. If I then purchase an expensive line or flouro, on a 100 yd spool, I can do 3 reels, and because of the increased arbor size it stays less coiled. for me, a ice reel could have a larger arbor, and only 30 yd, capacity. I learned years ago when changing my line, prolly 70% of it was never used, and could not have been used as it looks like a slinky. That 10 lb stuff I mentioned has been on each reel for years, You can use heavier, it is just meant to make the arbor circumference bigger. So again, if you spring for an expensive floro, know that you are wasting 60-60% of it, good luck to everybody this year and stay safe
+1 that’s how most of my reels are set up. Where are you finding 100yd spoils of “ice” line?
 Except with my lake trout setups, I put just enough thick mono on to keep the braid from slipping. I want max line capacity since I’ll be fishing 100-200ft deep and need line for them to peel for the runs.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2018, 09:56 AM »

+2, summer and winter both, but I use crochet thread.  Have never been close to seeing this "backing" while fishing.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2018, 10:03 AM »
+3 gonna try splitting the 50yard spools this year.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2018, 06:48 PM »
+1 that’s how most of my reels are set up. Where are you finding 100yd spoils of “ice” line?
 Except with my lake trout setups, I put just enough thick mono on to keep the braid from slipping. I want max line capacity since I’ll be fishing 100-200ft deep and need line for them to peel for the runs.
  Bass pro

Offline ejdelvo28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2018, 11:18 AM »
If you refer to mono or fluorocarbon, a great way is to soak the spool in a bowl of warm water and leave it in there as you wind it on.  It allows the spool to roll freely as it needs to, saturates the line as it winds on, and the warm water relaxes the coils.

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2018, 04:51 PM »
 I used to work in a tackle shop - Spooled lots of reels using our machine set up. I tried spooling my spinning reels label up, label down...nothing really worked for me. So i got creative using my cordless drill I rigged up my own spooling station.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.