Author Topic: Know how thick the new ice really is, make a ice measurer from a ruler  (Read 2292 times)

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This is a cheap easy way to know exactly how thick the ice is. I never go out without mine when ice is new. making a guess is not safe, better off to be sure

This is the most accurate system I have used. Sticking your fingers in the hole is just a guess. Here is a photo of my homemade ice measurer.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Now, THAT is very clever and simple......I'm making one for myself right now.
Thanks for the tip!!

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
My simple secret is now out, hehehehe....Now watch, someone will start selling them on ebay. I sell on ebay and I thought about it, but never did it. I hope this idea helps to make us safer on the early ice....

Also, I always carry a old spud bar on early ice. Walk along and use it like a cane. I jab it into the ice ahead of me as I walk. If the spud bar goes thru, I back out in a safe but fast motion.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline radzicto

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happiness is a big gutpile.
You can always mark one inch increments on your ladle. Catch the spoon part on the under edge and you have it. 

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
I've marked my spud bar and hook the edge of the chisel on the underside of the hole. 

Same idea, but one less item to carry on the ice with me.

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
Good idea but there are so many things to carry already :'(. Most new ladles already have measurements on them for that same reason so I don't bother with another item to carry.
    Jim

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
great idea and tip.  my ice scoop already has ruler markings on it.  i just cut a hole put scoop down and have instant reading on ice thickness.
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline Uncle Grump

• Team IceShanty Regular
Get some red & black electricians tape.

The blade on my chisel (spud) has a shoulder I can hook on the under side of the ice.

Placed a red band of tape on the shaft/handle w/ the top of the band at 2",
a black band of tape w/ the top of the band at 4".

Punch a hole in the ice, hook the blade, what do you see? Simple

UG

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I've always used my HT Chip-n-Dip skimmer  ;)

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
I can usually tell by looking at it or how long it take to drill a hole. there's be times when I fired up the auger drilled a hole before I even realized it I was through and running for shore
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I just use my spoon,marked with one inch lines with black waterproof magic marker,my new spoon has one inch marks in metal  handle.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Stanley Fat Max tape measure in 25 foot model has a HUGE foot on it that is more than capable to hook the underside of the ice. It also has gargantuan numbers for taking pics of fish to verify length. This comes in handy at tourney time. ;)

Offline Danny Boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pêcheur d'Esox
One more piece of ridiculous gear to carry out on the ice.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I can tell by how many turns it takes my Nils hand auger to go thru. 8 turns is 4 inches on my auger.
Ken                                          

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
I can tell by how many turns it takes my Nils hand auger to go thru. 8 turns is 4 inches on my auger.

is that an 8 inch? hmm lets see my icegator turns 300 rpms... ::)  wow thats a fast hole

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
is that an 8 inch? hmm lets see my icegator turns 300 rpms... ::)  wow thats a fast hole

My Nils hand auger is a 6", but if the 8" cuts the same...you'll be through 4" of ice with your icegator in 1.6 seconds. lol
Ken                                          

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
My buddy has a pretty fool proof way of determining if the ice is safe or not. He lets me go first with the Auger over my shoulder. Considering that puts me at 300+ lbs he feels relitively confident that his 150 Lb frame will be safe....wait a minute...what about me?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.