Author Topic: Rod for Jaw Jacker  (Read 15447 times)

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Rod for Jaw Jacker
« on: Nov 28, 2016, 09:56 AM »
I've looked around and did some research, and it seems that lots of guys like the ugly stik rods for their jaw jackers, but then see that many like the past model and not the current gx2 model. Is there any reason for this? I'm looking at picking up a couple rods hopefully today with the 25% off at dsg.

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Rod for Jaw Jacker
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2016, 01:35 PM »
I have a mixture of the two in light and medium, I like the feel of the cork handles the best but both seem to perform about the same.  I like the medium for the jawjacker the best.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2016, 01:46 PM »
I've looked around and did some research, and it seems that lots of guys like the ugly stik rods for their jaw jackers, but then see that many like the past model and not the current gx2 model. Is there any reason for this? I'm looking at picking up a couple rods hopefully today with the 25% off at dsg.
I bought a couple of GX2's when they first came out as backups for my old school Stiks. The GX's may be a very nice little soft jigging rod but they just don't have the oomph you need in a JawJacker to drive that point home. If somebody has any old style UglyStik ice rods, I'll take a couple off your hands at a favorable price.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2016, 03:56 PM »
Do you guys know of any other affordable rods I could use. I used a No. 8 combo last year, and it snapped on the hookset on a pike. looking for something much more durable. They would be mostly used for pike and bass, occasionally walleye. Think the medium GX2 would be too soft?

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2016, 04:09 PM »
I use the Ugly Stiks myself, but I'm ordering a few of these direct from JawJacker's site. Good luck this season.

JawJacker Ice Rod 29" M Spinning Panfish/Kokanee
$24.99

Add to Cart

This rod is ideal for guys who like to use light lines and small jigs for small to medium sized fish. This rod has a softer tip and midsection to protect light lines but still enough backbone to set the hook well. It's a great JawJacker rod for jumbo perch, big crappie, and kokanee salmon. Learn More
| Add to Compare

JawJacker Ice Rod 31" MH Spinning Trout/Walleye
$25.99

Add to Cart

This rod is a good all purpose JawJacker rod. This rod is a little stiffer and longer than the 29" M . It won't protect lighter lines as well but it allows you to set the hook harder on bigger fish. I've been using this action and length of rod for 5 or 6 years now and it's the one I use the most since I mainly target fish in the 2- 10 lb range. Learn More
| Add to Compare

JawJacker Ice Rod 35" XXH Spinning Pike/Lake Trout
$29.99

Add to Cart

This rod is definitely a heavy hitter for big fish like pike and lake trout. It works great for setting large hooks in deep water for fish like lake trout, burbott, and big walleye with the JawJacker. It's hard to find a decent ice rod at a good price for big fish weather your using it with the JawJacker or Jigging. A lot of heavier ice rods for big fish are stiff fiberglass poles with no real action or taper. The graphite rods I see for pike and lake trout seem to light to handle a 30 - 40 lb fish to me and they are definitely to light to set a 1 ounce jig in a big lake trouts mouth in 90 feet of water with the JawJacker. The 35" spinning XXH Pike/Lake trout rod provides all of this at an affordable price. Learn More

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2016, 07:43 PM »
I've got the GX2 model. This will be my 4th season with them.
No complaints yet.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2016, 11:19 PM »
Store around me was going out of business they had 2 random 29" med Berkeley Cherrywood rod and reel combos for maybe 10 apiece, was hoping to run them on the jawjackers, will they last? Or should I keep shopping?

Offline JawJacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2016, 05:23 PM »
Hi, this Matt from JawJacker.  If I am looking in the store at a rod to use in the JawJacker I bend it over and see how stiff it is and see if it takes the strain of being bent over. I broke a rod once in the store. I thought I would be in trouble for snapping the rod but the fishing manager said not to worry about it.  So bend the rod over and see how much strain it can take and judge weather you think it will have enough power to set the hook well enough on the type of fish you are fishing for.  I would stay away from more brittle higher modulus graphite. I have had a couple of those snap.  Most fiberglass rod should hold up.  I have heard of a lot of guys using ugly sticks with good success which are a fiberglass rod I believe and fairly cheap but I don't know if they are quite as stiff as they use to be.
       I have used the 32" berkley lightning  baitcaster and spinning ice rods in MH and Heavy and they have stood up to the stress and they Hook up well. They are a stiffer rod and I have used the berkley lightning rods for larger walleye and medium sized pike  on the high JawJacker hook setting angle.  You could drop your hook setting angle down to medium or low for smaller lines and hooks and it should do fine.  I have hooked and caught 10 lb pike on them with 12 lb test using 3-4 inch live minnows on a 1/4 oz. Jig head in 15 -20 feet of water and they have set the hook well and held up well so far.  And they are cheap too. I took a good look at the blank and can't tell what it's made of.  They almost look like aluminum under the paint and decals, but they have to be some sort of fiberglass. My favorite rods are lower modulus graphite rods, and I like a quality cork handle so that's why I came out with the JawJacker rods that masoneddie mentioned. They are a little more expensive than a fiberglass foam grip rod but It's more expensive to manufacture a ice rod with a solid cork handle, IM7 graphite blank, and ceramic guides.
     I tried a Jason Mitchel  34" baitcaster laker rod. It wasn't as heavy as I expected it would be for a lake trout rod. It set the hook decent with 1/8 and 3/16 jig heads(# 6 and #4 hooks I believe) but I  didn't think it had enough power to set at 1/4 oz. jig head well enough in deep water.  And they are more expensive rods.
     I don't want to toot my own horn here but if you are going after larger pike and lake trout the 35" XXH JawJacker rod was designed for just that.  I couldn't find a good rod to use with the JawJacker with for big pike an lakers. The best thing I could come up with were the HT ice blues rods but only the shorter 28" rod would fit in the JawJacker not their 36" rod and the rods were too stiff and had no action for fighting the fish after you hooked it.  I had a prostaffer of mine, Butch Emuhman( I believe that's how to spell his last name) catch a 30 pound laker jigging with the 35" JawJacker laker rod in Alaska. He said the rod did well. 
  So there is some info for you, probably more than you wanted, but good luck finding a rod that works for you with the JawJacker and hopefully this info helps out.

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2016, 11:28 AM »
Thanks for the post JawJacker. Great info there.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2016, 01:04 PM »
Thanks for all the info! I'll let you know what I settle with

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2016, 09:18 PM »
You won't go wrong with buying the jaw Jacker rods. I ordered a few from Matt and they fit much better than the Ugly Stik rods i have. What I mean by fitting better is that I can put the jaw Jacker rods in the holder the whole way and still have the correct round Bend that is needed for a proper Hookset. These rods are well-built. Hats off the Matt for another quality product

Offline Icepants2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2016, 04:57 AM »
I have long since loaded up with rods for my JJ's. So I can't comment of the  JJ rods. But if you can find the old Ugly Stik  Lite ice rods with cork grips they are great. The ML cover all my trout and bass needs. However they are no longer made. I agree with the poster who said the new GX2 rods don't have the guts. A good new rod is the Shakespeare "Wild" rods. They are a little softer than the old lite rods so I had to move up to a medium for the same usage. I also found the kids Dockmaster rods work great. They are cheap I have found bundles (5 rods) on an auction site  for ten bucks. They have the guts and work great. If you notice all these rods are or contain fiberglass. I have seen to many people with higher end graphite rods complain about their rod tips splintering. They don't understand that graphite does not like to be over compressed

Offline esoxer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2016, 09:41 AM »
I also found the kids Dockmaster rods work great. They are cheap I have found bundles (5 rods) on an auction site  for ten bucks. They have the guts and work great.

Do you mean the Zebco Dock Demon? Haven't seen a "Dockmaster" rod anywhere online

Offline Icepants2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2016, 04:56 PM »
My bad, yes it's Dock Demons.

Offline Brozy21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2017, 05:47 PM »
I got a good deal on a Abu Garcia  Veritos 29" M and I liked the long handle for a dead stick rod and possibly the jaw jacker.  Has anyone tried this rod with the jacker?

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2018, 11:17 PM »
I got a good deal on a Abu Garcia  Veritos 29" M and I liked the long handle for a dead stick rod and possibly the jaw jacker.  Has anyone tried this rod with the jacker?

I can let you know next week because I got a good deal on a 27"  med light one I have to line and I'm going to try on it. I have about 20 rods ( 15 of them I bought in a garage sale bundle but most are small lights, Ultra Lights, heavy which are super stiff and I think a couple med gander mountain brand).  I have a old Mitchell 36" med I believe ( it does say what it is for action on it haha it's old) I'm thinking of trying for bigger fish.

Offline efka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2018, 03:14 PM »
any fiberglass rod, the carbon might snap in a clod weather or sudden hookset.
the original ugly stik is unbreakable.

Offline jawi.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2018, 08:44 PM »
Love my jaw jackers.  I run the jaw jackers 29 med. rods for panfish and trout with very good results.  I don't loose very many .  Also use good quality spinning reels with 4lb. line.  Have taken northerns also but they can cut the line sometimes. Good drag is a must for the big fish.

Offline titan666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2018, 11:03 PM »
I use the dock demon rods as well. Super cheap and set the hook well even on ling in deeper water. I have thrown decent reels on them though, the ones that were on there didn't quite cut it for me.

Offline Brozy21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2018, 01:23 PM »
I can let you know next week because I got a good deal on a 27"  med light one I have to line and I'm going to try on it. I have about 20 rods ( 15 of them I bought in a garage sale bundle but most are small lights, Ultra Lights, heavy which are super stiff and I think a couple med gander mountain brand).  I have a old Mitchell 36" med I believe ( it does say what it is for action on it haha it's old) I'm thinking of trying for bigger fish.

I have used the 29" a few times and it has been working well.

Offline Walleyewacker007

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2018, 04:21 PM »
I have 5 jawjackers and run a couple of different setups in them. I have 2 Cabelas brand Prodigy ml rod/reel combos that were $35- $50 each and work great. I also use a few different models from Tuned Up Custom Rods including the Percision,  Power Percision and Commander all with Pfluger president reels. These rods also perform well with the jawjackers, although at a much higher cost.($100- $125/rod, $50/reel) These rods are not strictly deadsticks and were purchased for species specific jigging as well. The only rods I have personally had issues with were a Berkeley that split near the handle (fixed with electrical tape and lower setting on jacker)that I no longer use and noodle tip rods that lack the backbone necessary to get a quality hookset consistently like the stiffer rods. I run 8 lbs braid with an 8 lbs fluoro leader tied directly to jig/hook. This has been effective on panfish, trout, salmon and other species, very low stretch even in 50'+ FOW. I love fighting fish on a rod vs hand over hand. Best tip up by far for the $. :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.