Author Topic: Inflatable life vests  (Read 3410 times)

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
Inflatable life vests
« on: Oct 15, 2017, 10:43 AM »
I bought a nice Cabelas self inflating life vest to wear on early ice and late soft ice. seems like a good idea as I become more filled with common sense.  Any of you's have one or plan to?  My buddy says if I fall through and die of hypothermia they can at least fine my body.  Nice.
Thread killer

Offline tapone

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Inflatable life vests
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2017, 10:47 AM »
Bought one for my wife to use on the boat. I have worn it and it is not too constrictive. I suppose it would work for on the ice... I personally bought a Frabill ice jacket last year on sale. It is a little stiff but I do like it. Plenty warm.

I hope you never have to see how the life vest works!
Born to fish, fish to live..... gotta drink something so it might as well be a cold beer!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2017, 10:49 AM »
Imo not a bad idea. I have a floatable suit but may not always wear it when it is warmer out.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2017, 10:57 AM »
I bought a nice Cabelas self inflating life vest to wear on early ice and late soft ice. seems like a good idea as I become more filled with common sense.  Any of you's have one or plan to?  My buddy says if I fall through and die of hypothermia they can at least fine my body.  Nice.
.         Get a floating suit, I have a striker, does the same thing, floats you , is warm in any conditions , and is also waterproof!

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2017, 11:07 AM »
I wear an inflatable also but am looking into a floating jacket.  No particular brand except I have heard that some of them are not as warm as others.  Just have to do some research, I guess.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2017, 11:27 AM »
Late ice it is hard to wear my Hardwater Ice jacket when it is 50* out.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2017, 11:38 AM »
Just unzip mine, have occasionally took jacket off even. They say just bibs will float you , don’t want to find out the hard way !!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2017, 06:00 PM »
I have both the inflating "vest" and the inflating fanny pack, I wear the fanny pack most of the time and I keep my pliers on it. I have been through a few times and always get myself out, but it is good to know if I needed it, it is there!

Online wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2017, 06:48 PM »
Used to wear an inflatable pfd on the ice, now have stryker bibs & jacket. Have heard the pfds might not inflate properly in the cold.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2017, 06:57 PM »
I used to laugh at people who had an outfit they wore specifically for ice fishing but after owning my striker suit all I can say is that they are worth it. Super warm, wind resistant and waterproof, if I fall in it floats. They are pricey but worth it. That being said if it's not in the budget a self inflating life vest would still be money well spent.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2017, 08:19 PM »
I wear an inflatable on the kayak during the heat of summer. It keeps you chest up and supports the back of your head like the old orange life vest. My only concern would be having to overcome the additional bulk in front of you and the fact that they don't immediately inflate. there is a slight delay. Fielders choice in my opinion.

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2017, 12:32 AM »
Used to wear an inflatable pfd on the ice, now have stryker bibs & jacket. Have heard the pfds might not inflate properly in the cold.

I have a Mustang inflatable (GREAT vest) but it says specifically in the instructions NOT for use on ice.  Be sure to check any pfd's documentation out thoroughly before relying on it for ice fishing.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2017, 12:06 PM »
I have a Mustang inflatable (GREAT vest) but it says specifically in the instructions NOT for use on ice.  Be sure to check any pfd's documentation out thoroughly before relying on it for ice fishing.

I wonder if they think you fall through it inflates and pins you under the ice?

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 16, 2017, 12:47 PM »
I wonder if they think you fall through it inflates and pins you under the ice?
. Would the ice possibly tear threw a inflatable vest?

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 16, 2017, 01:02 PM »

That would be part of my concern also, better than nothing, but if it malfunctions and doesn't inflate it's worthless.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2017, 02:17 PM »
U won’t go under the ice unless in a river with current, I bet!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2017, 02:38 PM »
could be mustang just trying to avoid a lawsuit. you could test it out in your freezer if you don't mid wasting the money for a life jacket recharge kit

Offline 77tech

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 16, 2017, 10:58 PM »
Might be they are afraid you might wear an inflatable under a coat.  I read someplace that if you wear an inflatable under other clothing it will asphyxiate you because as you exhale you will be unable to inhale again as it will continue to inflate as you exhale leaving no room to expand your lungs again

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 17, 2017, 05:11 AM »
like 77tech said, don't wear an inflatable under a coat. It is always to be warn on the outside.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 17, 2017, 08:10 AM »
Another good reason to use a fanny pack style inflatable...

Online wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 17, 2017, 08:23 AM »
 The inflatable type pfds may be slow to fill or only fill part way in the cold due to lower co2 pressure below 32* .  Read the labels or do a google search before you decide what to buy.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 17, 2017, 09:09 AM »
i wouldn't put my faith and trust in an inflatable in below freezing temperatures.  we used to do a lot of pellet rifle shooting and when it got too cold CO2 cartridges failed a lot.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.