Author Topic: Triggering a Strike  (Read 3612 times)

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
Triggering a Strike
« on: Dec 29, 2010, 10:55 AM »
I've been chasing eyes pretty hard this year and I'm getting few small ones so I guess thats a start.

I am wondering if anyone has some pointers on triggering strikes when jigging.

No live bait so I'm stuck jigging.  I've been throwing everything and fishing the mornings and evenings.  I've marked a lot of fish but the trick I can't figure out is getting them to strike.  I've raised the jig a foot or so after a fish has come in, I've jiggled it, I've sat still, I've tipped it with perch eye and not tipped them too.  Jiggin raps, buckshots, marabou jigs, frostees, large small variety of colors but can't seem to get them to hit it.

Any pointers???
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Triggering a Strike
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2010, 11:07 AM »
Sounds like you are doing a lot right. I use jigging raps for the most part, and I keep raising them with short hops as far as I can get the fish to go, if he follows I will keep moving up. When he stops below I give is a jiggle, maybe a soft lift, and that does the trick. Try to stay above the fish, I find the bite goes down if I drop the lure even with or below the fish.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:10 AM »
Slowly shake the rod, while pulling away from the fish, this makes the fish think that the bait is trying to escape.

I usually have one bait to attract fish, and another rod setting "dead stick" so if a fish doesn't like my first offering they may hit the second.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline SISIF

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ^ Every good and perfect gift is from above.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:24 AM »
I recently started using a flasher and I can't imagine going without it.... but that's the one 'down side' is seeing a big fish check out your bait and leave. Then again I'd still rather know what happened down there.

I'm still experimenting as to whether the hesitant ones coming off the bottom want me to jiggle it away or lower it to their face and jiggle it.
And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” -Matthew 4:19

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:32 AM »
At least with a flasher you know they're down there!

It lets you know that you are in the right spot, now all you have to do is wait for the bite.

Wiener

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:40 AM »
it lets you know that you are in the right spot, now all you have to do is wait for the bite

agreed, without the flasher you would have no idea there was fish in the area, and may have moved on. When in reality the fish was down there, and you just needed to adjust your presentation.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2010, 03:22 PM »
Thanks guys, I should be heading out tomorrow evening again I hope.  Might have to work though.  I will have to try those ideas.  I always fish just a single rod even though I can use two mostly because its one more thing to set up/pay attention too.  I will have to try it though.  Also I had only been raising it up a foot or so but I might as well try moving up as far as he wants to go.

Off the subject a bit but do you think a guy could have any luck with just a nightcrawler on a hook below a tipup?

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:41 PM »
although i am by no means an accomplished jigger, i do have to agree with ice junky and wiener..whenever i drop the bait down to them they shoot off like a rocket. if i can move it up, they usually follow.. then its just seems to be fine tuning on getting them to bite.. im just starting to figure it out and i basically do the same thing these guys are saying.. good advice.. also if the humminbird is left at home, then i am not jigging... no way (the bird is always with me though ;)  :tipup:
When hell freezes over Ill Ice fish there too

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2010, 09:07 PM »
   Slow down the drop a few feet above the fish and FISH/jiggle on down until they rise a little. And don't "flinch". Keep the same jiggle they rose to and start to fish it away. Good luck.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2010, 11:23 PM »
I always fish just a single rod even though I can use two mostly because its one more thing to set up/pay attention too.  I will have to try it though. 

If you're fishing in a shack, give a rattle reel a try.

Here's a pic of how I set one up in my portable.

Works same as a deadstick, only the rattle tells you when you got a bite.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2010, 12:11 PM »
what I do if I can't get a fish to bite even after bringing him up a ways is to switch my methods a LOT.  If I was lightly jigging him and getting him to come look but he won't take it I will start snapping the jig hard and fast trying to get a reaction bite out of him.  I have found that with negative fish sometimes getting super aggressive with them will trigger a strike.

Offline SISIF

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ^ Every good and perfect gift is from above.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2010, 09:14 PM »
Good ideas.

Is that rattle reel kinda like a tipup where it'll let the fish have it with no resistance until you set the hook?
And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” -Matthew 4:19

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2010, 09:32 PM »
yes it is.  it basically has a drag setting on it where you loosen a screw to adjust tension. obviously you loosen it till there is no tension and the fish feels no resistance.. they are very popular in northern minnesota.. actually more popular than tipups up there.. i think they are all just lazy and dont want to go out of the house. ;) i put mine in one corner of my hub style and is much better than having another rod with a bobber.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2011, 12:04 PM »
With out live bait, what does a guy have for options on a dead stick?

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2011, 01:42 PM »
not much at all.. you could try gulp or trigger x or something but i wouldnt bother. (for walleyes at least) my opinion the only way they would take that stuff is if it was moving and then it wouldnt be a deadstick.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2011, 03:28 PM »
Yeah I was going to try some gulp for kicks but don't have a whole lot of faith in it.  Hope to be out again soon, I'll keep you guys posted

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2011, 06:44 PM »
can you use dead bait? if so, pike sometimes prefer dead bait.. big dead smelt or ciscoes

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2011, 01:07 AM »
I would recommend adding scent to your lure.  I use the Gulp spray or Smelly Jelly.  It has made a big difference for me on those days when the eyes are in a off mood.  A dead stick is a must.  9 times out of 10, that eye that comes in for a look at the jig, hits the dead stick. 

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:00 PM »
so thanks guys....
I went out tonight and the first fish on the flasher I raised up and kept raising and kept raising Jiggle Jiggle.....THUMP!!  Fish on!
Problem was I had about 10 or so other fish come in and did the same thing and nothing.  Nonetheless was pretty stoked on getting a strike.  So....thanks to everyone for the feed back

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2011, 02:49 PM »
fishinwithbrittanies, can you use nightcrawlers? If so use one on a dead stick. I wouldn't hesitate to use a gulp type of plastic on a jig for a dead stick, I've caught quite a few in the summer with one hanging over the side of the boat.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:43 PM »
Yeah we can use crawlers...Haven't tried them yet.  I did try the gulp minnows.  2.5 and perch looking color but no luck.  I had two on last night but they both got off the rapala  >:(.  Went again tonight same stuff same place no fish.  I caught one small eye while jiggin for perch but that was it.

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2011, 03:20 PM »
You got a flasher, you got it made.  All you gotta do is Jig like a banshee (buckshot for sure) until you mark a fish.  then slow it down, pound the bottom with little thumps, lift it up and pause slightly. if no hit, give a couple of small flips, keeping the lure just off the bottom. As long as the fish is there, repeat this process. They like to hit when you just lift it off the bottom, alot of times they already have it in their mouth and all you feel is the weight.  Works for me anyways. And as far as dead sticking with no live bait a frozen minnow on a jig head about an inch off the bottom is just fine. Hope that helps and good luck!
Still counting.....

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2011, 11:11 PM »
Good ideas.

Is that rattle reel kinda like a tip up where it'll let the fish have it with no resistance until you set the hook?

Exactly. 

Set your depth, snug down the wing nut just enough to keep the minnow from pulling out line.

When a fish strikes, the wing nut loosens enough to allow line to unwind freely.  The little bells (or plastic balls) let you know when you have a bite.

Works great for Walleye, Crappie, Trout and Whitefish.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline rooster740

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2011, 08:59 PM »
fishinwithbrittanies I saw you, and those renegade dogs on Hylite Saturday. I am having the same problem with the walleye at Daileys. I have found a spot two nights in a row that do not have many perch, but the walleye cruise by consistently about an hour before dark. I tried every trick, and lure in the book. Most of them get real spooky as it gets closer to dark. The little guys will come in real fast and hit my Swedish pimple fish eye, but I can not hook them. I fish with a camera so I can see all this action and it is making me nuts!
Ya gotta be tuff when yer dumb

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2011, 05:03 AM »
I fish with a camera so I can see all this action and it is making me nuts!

This was one of the reasons I stopped fishing with a camera.   Too much excitement!

Wiener

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.