Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2018  (Read 71810 times)

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2018
« Reply #480 on: Mar 02, 2018, 07:15 PM »
Well done, boyz!  :flex:

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #481 on: Mar 03, 2018, 07:38 PM »
3/3/2018

The bridge seemed to work out well for those on ATV's this morning. I took the Argo around to prevent damage to the ice.

Was surprised that i needed creepers as the top of the ice was hard. Not till later in the day did the top layer get soft around 2 pm. Got to the house and there was almost ankle deep water on the underneath and the south side of the house. North side was tight.
Windy today, approached 20 mph. Warm around 40F but the wind chill kept it slightly below freezing.

Cooked a pork tenderloin on the grill for lunch.

Ended up having a fish off with Laker Taker today as it seemed the rest of the lake was slow. Caught 2 lakers then Laker Taker caught up and passed me by 3, then 4 and then 5. I managed to catch up and tied him at 6 each but then was able to get another bringing me up to 7 for the day. Only need 4 more to hit 150 lakers for the season.

Ended up pulling Laker Takers ATV to shore, it wouldn't start and bumped Ladybugs and Jonesy house outta a big water hole. Ice is going fast but still had 16". Bumped the house off the holes before i left, tied it down but left it on the ice not jacked up on blocks. Tomorrow i'll fish in it then bounce it to Whittemore point, back where it was before i moved to where i am now. Hate to leave CH's hump but gotta start thinking about being a bit closer to an exit just in case. Hoping to finish out the season with the house on Newfound.

I believe the UNH School of Marine Science and Ocean Engineering team went back out again today. It was windy yet they still did their work, gotta hand it to them, they did good. Also hope it went well for them and they got what they needed for data.

Harry the Bald Eagle was watching Laker Taker and i, waiting for us to chuck out a fish. He did have a couple of Sucker remains that seemed to keep him occupied while waiting for a fish from us.     

More tomorrow.

Offline Will I am

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #482 on: Mar 03, 2018, 07:44 PM »
Be up in morning best way off the lake with the house?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #483 on: Mar 03, 2018, 08:03 PM »
Be up in morning best way off the lake with the house?

How big and where is it located?

Offline Will I am

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #484 on: Mar 04, 2018, 09:08 AM »
10 x 12 and it is by Wellington.

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #485 on: Mar 04, 2018, 10:27 AM »
First off hope all is good second off thanks to the guys that spent there time and efforts for putting that bridge together to help others and not only them self's out and because of your efforts it allowed myself and uncle to enjoy the day out thanks

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #486 on: Mar 04, 2018, 02:10 PM »
J, 150 lakers is a good season ! congratz

Offline Chefmike64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #487 on: Mar 04, 2018, 03:16 PM »
How are the conditions getting on the ice? Trying to go out on Tuesday
Here fishy fishy

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #488 on: Mar 04, 2018, 06:11 PM »
3/4/2018

Got up early but took my time getting to the lake. Yesterday before I left, I bumped my house over just to get it off the holes.
The ice was fairly hard until later in the afternoon which soften the top layer. Was a little windy so the soft ice acted like a drag or break when I finally went to bounce my house to whittemoore point. Hated to leave CH's hump but need to start migrating back close to an exit point.

I was able to get 6 lakers today which put me at 151 lakers for the season. They were hitting on a kastmaster and smelt. Nice to jig them up instead of the spring line.  Pasted Laker Taker for the season ( he's stuck at 149) and now the first person to break 150. Good day. Sorry Laker Taker.

The boat launch is holding up but not sure for how much longer. You have to use the bridge we built to get on and off the launch. We left it there so we can check houses on Tuesday or weds. We might need to move it over as the ice turns cruddy.
Easiest place to remove bob houses would be at the foot of the lake and not the launch. Eventually that's where I will probably exit from unless the weather shifts. I plan to hopefully get another 2 weeks w the bobhouse on the lake. Still plenty of ice but it's going fast. The edges is what we need to keep an eye on.

Sad the season is coming to a close so quickly.

More later.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #489 on: Mar 05, 2018, 05:31 AM »

Congrats on breaking 150...

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #490 on: Mar 05, 2018, 12:12 PM »
Shobizz and I pulled the house off this morning.
When Jiggin says “it’s going fast” that was enough for us! Been crappy fishing for us anyways...no lakers in the last 3 outings 😖
We checked out Wellington but now it appears there is a lot more “open” water at the launch. Wasn’t going to risk having the bobhouse tip over with one runner on the ice and th other over what appeared to be dark open water. So off to Cummings beach to see if that was a possibility...
Dropped the house after attempting to haul it up that steep incline with the Argo and almost got it up until I started losing traction in the deeper snow at the top. Backed down the hill and left the house on the beach.
Ran back to Wellington to fetch the truck and trailer then hauled the house up to the parking lot with the truck.
Winched the house onto the trailer, loaded the Argo and off we went for some breakfast! Was a fun season while it lasted! Be careful out there as it appears the beach at the foot of the lake is losing its edges too.
Too bad the state won’t put up signs for the derby to ban trucks and road vehicles from using the launch. It really roached access for the rest of us.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #491 on: Mar 05, 2018, 08:40 PM »
3/5/2018

While at work today got a message from Tippin he was going to go out and check the edges around the lake. After hearing his report and up coming weather forecast, we all decided it was probably best to take the houses off and finish up with the portables.

Tippin and I unloaded our houses and then went back out and started hauling to the foot of the lake. Took Ladybugs and Jonesy house first then ours to the foot of the lake. Travel was easy and smooth, a couple of soft spots but nothing bad. Boat launch was toast and we'll need to remove the bridge later this week if not tomorrow. I agree with Mowbizz, i do wish they would shut the launch down to cars and trucks. We do have a vehicle access for trucks and cars just a bit down the road from Wellington but even when i suggested to folks to use it, they just drive right out on the launch. Of course those that do aren't any where around to help remove houses, nor build bridges etc etc to help out...all about themselves and what is easy for them at that time so it seems. It is what it is.

We took my house, Tippin's house, Laker Takers, Ladybugs and Jonesy house home tonight. Just got done. Tomorrow we'll go back and take care of Psycho's and Redfins house. Fish Hunter stopped by with his boy as they removed their house from Wellington parking lot and helped out. I think Frog and DaJew took theirs off too.

Sad sad day but still fun. Rest of the season is in the portable or open ice. I think anyone looking to go out should probably consider launching from Cummins beach or the foot of the lake. Still plenty of ice, just getting on is gonna get tricky. Maybe i can bounce the bridge over a bit and continue to use it instead of bring it home. We'll see......

More later.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #492 on: Mar 06, 2018, 04:51 AM »

Sorry to hear the big top is starting to come down...  though at greater than 150 lakers the ring master has had quite a season.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #493 on: Mar 06, 2018, 07:41 AM »
3/5/2018

While at work today got a message from Tippin he was going to go out and check the edges around the lake. After hearing his report and up coming weather forecast, we all decided it was probably best to take the houses off and finish up with the portables.

Tippin and I unloaded our houses and then went back out and started hauling to the foot of the lake. Took Ladybugs and Jonesy house first then ours to the foot of the lake. Travel was easy and smooth, a couple of soft spots but nothing bad. Boat launch was toast and we'll need to remove the bridge later this week if not tomorrow. I agree with Mowbizz, i do wish they would shut the launch down to cars and trucks. We do have a vehicle access for trucks and cars just a bit down the road from Wellington but even when i suggested to folks to use it, they just drive right out on the launch. Of course those that do aren't any where around to help remove houses, nor build bridges etc etc to help out...all about themselves and what is easy for them at that time so it seems. It is what it is.

We took my house, Tippin's house, Laker Takers, Ladybugs and Jonesy house home tonight. Just got done. Tomorrow we'll go back and take care of Psycho's and Redfins house. Fish Hunter stopped by with his boy as they removed their house from Wellington parking lot and helped out. I think Frog and DaJew took theirs off too.

Sad sad day but still fun. Rest of the season is in the portable or open ice. I think anyone looking to go out should probably consider launching from Cummins beach or the foot of the lake. Still plenty of ice, just getting on is gonna get tricky. Maybe i can bounce the bridge over a bit and continue to use it instead of bring it home. We'll see......

More later.

Wow that happened quickl! I guess we made a good call based on the fact that you and the others know the lake better than most! That old hardside dilemma of knowing when to hold em and when to fold em! I believe common sense ruled the day...

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #494 on: Mar 06, 2018, 11:57 AM »
Wow that happened quickl! I guess we made a good call based on the fact that you and the others know the lake better than most! That old hardside dilemma of knowing when to hold em and when to fold em! I believe common sense ruled the day...

Thanks Mowbizz, sorry we didnt get a chance to fish next to each other. Would of been fun. Yup, Tippin sounded the alarm and after some thoughts, he was right. Get moving while the moving is still good.
Originally i was thinking with the snow coming, that might have been a saving grace. The snow would protect the ice from melting (it would have to melt first) and insulate the ice too. But then Tippin mentioned the amount of snow both Weds and Possible Sunday. Much more than i expected. A good call by Tippin.

It was a late night last night and we still have a few more houses to pull off tonight but it'll be fun. Its always easier doing this together than alone. Again, I'd like to thank all that helped out last night, a team effort.

Btw, my season isn't over, it just changed from Hard Side to Portable and possibly other lakes later.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #495 on: Mar 06, 2018, 12:13 PM »
Thanks Mowbizz, sorry we didnt get a chance to fish next to each other. Would of been fun. Yup, Tippin sounded the alarm and after some thoughts, he was right. Get moving while the moving is still good.
Originally i was thinking with the snow coming, that might have been a saving grace. The snow would protect the ice from melting (it would have to melt first) and insulate the ice too. But then Tippin mentioned the amount of snow both Weds and Possible Sunday. Much more than i expected. A good call by Tippin.

It was a late night last night and we still have a few more houses to pull off tonight but it'll be fun. Its always easier doing this together than alone. Again, I'd like to thank all that helped out last night, a team effort.

Btw, my season isn't over, it just changed from Hard Side to Portable and possibly other lakes later.

Yes, it would have been fun fishing next to the "Master"
Give me a holler if you need help tonight. I cant use the Argo cause I busted the windshield support arms when taking it off my trailer yesterday (hard landing snapped the plastic pins at the bottom of the support.  I can help pushing and pulling houses onto trailers! Hate to see you out there with not enough help! I'll PM my number.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #496 on: Mar 06, 2018, 06:27 PM »
Thanks Mowbizz. Glad to have you in the Circus. Sorry to hear about the Argo. I wish you would of waited for us so we could of helped you load the house. Remember that for next year. We work together so it makes it easier for everyone.

Tonight we loaded Psycho's and Redfin's house. All easy peasy with enough help from Tippin, Laker Taker, Redfin and Psycho. More the merrier and easier. Good work guys. Delivered the houses to their home and all done.

Tomorrow after work I plan to bump the bridge over hopefully before too much snow fall so it can be used this weekend for foot travel, ATV's and Snowmobiles. I don't ride my Argo on it, i should be able to drive around and get onto the ice.

Learned today that we had several Personal Bests this season, Psycho got 30 lakers for the season, his best. Butterfly got her Personal Best for the season, Redfin got his Personal Best for the season, Laker Taker is still stuck at 149 :) but his Personal Best for the season, Tippin also got his Personal Best for the season. Sounds like it was a Personal Best season but CH is still behind. She is stuck at 23 Lakers but her Personal Best is 24 so she needs 1 more to tie and 2 to receive her Personal Best. Hoping she'll go out this weekend with me in the portable. If the snow storm is bad Thursday, i might drag her out with me.

I'll try to post up some videos or pictures of removing the house. Always a good time.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #497 on: Mar 07, 2018, 07:29 AM »
Thanks Mowbizz. Glad to have you in the Circus. Sorry to hear about the Argo. I wish you would of waited for us so we could of helped you load the house. Remember that for next year. We work together so it makes it easier for everyone.

Tonight we loaded Psycho's and Redfin's house. All easy peasy with enough help from Tippin, Laker Taker, Redfin and Psycho. More the merrier and easier. Good work guys. Delivered the houses to their home and all done.

Tomorrow after work I plan to bump the bridge over hopefully before too much snow fall so it can be used this weekend for foot travel, ATV's and Snowmobiles. I don't ride my Argo on it, i should be able to drive around and get onto the ice.

Learned today that we had several Personal Bests this season, Psycho got 30 lakers for the season, his best. Butterfly got her Personal Best for the season, Redfin got his Personal Best for the season, Laker Taker is still stuck at 149 :) but his Personal Best for the season, Tippin also got his Personal Best for the season. Sounds like it was a Personal Best season but CH is still behind. She is stuck at 23 Lakers but her Personal Best is 24 so she needs 1 more to tie and 2 to receive her Personal Best. Hoping she'll go out this weekend with me in the portable. If the snow storm is bad Thursday, i might drag her out with me.

I'll try to post up some videos or pictures of removing the house. Always a good time.
We didn’t keep strict tabs on them but looking back Shobizz jigged up 2, her personal best, and I caught 6 which was also my PB for a season.
(Not counting the old days when there may have been a dozen or so during a season all on tipups with smelt) still trying to figure out the jigging thang...😜

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #498 on: Mar 07, 2018, 06:21 PM »
3/7/2018

After work today, Tippin and I moved the bridge at Wellington over to better ice. Where it was was starting to get thin. Moved it more to the right of the launch if your facing the lake. Might have to shovel it out after this snow storm.

Should be all set for anyone wanting to fish this weekend, still plenty of ice on the lake. Other access points could be Cummins beach and the foot of the lake but not sure what this snow storm will bring in terms of amount of snow and ease of access.

I plan on portabling this weekend if the wind isn't too bad. If it is, ill fish outside.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #499 on: Mar 08, 2018, 05:20 PM »
3/8/2018

Well, we got around 13" of snow this morning so after i plowed out our door yard, then my daughters and then Laker Takers, I came home filled up the wood box for CH had some lunch then and went fishing. Didn't get out till around 1:30 pm.

Wellington was not plowed out but didn't have any problems getting into the boat launch in 4x4. Had the parking lot to myself and as far as I could tell, the lake too. Some wind, my guess around 9 - 10 mph so i used the Argo for a wind block. Launch was covers in snow but you could see the wet spots. Bridged looked good although i didn't use it. Should be all set for the weekend. It's to the right of the launch as your facing the lake.

After jigging with the jig stick, i decided to try to use my jig rod and reel. I missed 2 right off the bat when i switch over. Had to set the hook to the moon then finially hooked up but just barley. Came off as soon as i got it on the ice. Im using a 38" HT Laker Pro rod, Med - Heavy with a Shimano Bait runner reel. Fun but takes some getting used to. Like i said i had to set the hook to the moon then reel down. At least i didn't throw the rod and start hand lining them up. I'll get the hang of it.

Ended the day with 2 lakers bringing my total up to 153 for the season. Now hoping to hit 175 before end of March.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #500 on: Mar 08, 2018, 06:06 PM »

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #501 on: Mar 08, 2018, 08:32 PM »

That’s the way to get it done Jiggin!
LMAO at throwing the pole down and hand lining it...😀

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #502 on: Mar 09, 2018, 01:00 PM »
You Newfound Lake Circus folks have been busy between getting shanties/bob houses off the ice surface, building a bridge to help access the ice and fishing. Jiggin congratulations on the high total of lake trout caught this season all the time you put in each season paid off big this year. :clap: :clap: :bow:
 Thank you to all who post in this thread enjoy reading about your activities .
Steve

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #503 on: Mar 10, 2018, 07:03 PM »
3/10/2018

CH and i headed out this morning and met up with Psycho and Butterfly. Boat launch is still porked but the bridge worked for the wheeler and snowmobile. I took the side path with no problems but its very wet. Not too cold today until the wind started blowing. We got some good gusts today. It snowed on and off some too.

Headed out to where we left off last week. Got the portable all set up in what seemed like recorder time including the underwater camera with CH's help. Sorta like a Nascar pit crew (kinda but really nothing like it actually). Good work gurl.

While we were setting up, CH's tip up went off but she lost it. Seen quite a few lakers until the 11 am to 1 pm lull. After that they seemed to be "shopping" around between Psycho / Butterfly's portable and our's.

Tip up holes kept getting snow blown filled and thats how CH lost her 2nd laker. While i was skimming her tip up hole out, i grabbed her line to move it out of the way and i could feel some weight on it so i gave her line back to her. When the fish ran, she set the hook and broke the line somewhere between the swivel and sinker..... Bummer. She lost another on her jig stick later that i got on video.  ;D

It was CH's and Psycho's day. They ended up having a fish off, Psycho caught up to her but couldn't pull the last one out of his Arse to take the win, nor could CH. They tied at 3 a piece. Butterfly and I tied at Zero each.....

Saw some folks flying a Kite, skiing behind it. Huge kites. Pretty cool. I think we had to lake to ourselves, certainly where we fished we did. Really surreal   looking around and not seeing anyones houses out or fishing. Quiet.

Back at it in the morning.

#NotDoneYet

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #504 on: Mar 11, 2018, 06:45 PM »
3/11/2018

Beautiful sunrise this morning. Sky was all red like on fire. Not much wind and wasn't too cold.

Met up with Laker Taker this morning and headed back to the same spot. Although i wanted to venture to a different area of the lake, he talked me into going back. I didn't want to fish in exactly the same spot, so we moved north a bit. Turned out we had to move the portable cause we set up right on top of some big rocks. Back to the same spot we went.

Slow day fishing, saw lakers "shopping" but wouldn't take. Laker Taker got his 150th while i was out tending to a lost laker on a Tip up. Congrats Laker Taker. Welcome to the 150 club.

Funny today, we had a small laker hanging with a bigger laker. The little laker was all excited about hitting our jigs. Back and forth he would go between us almost hitting the jigs several times until the bigger laker came in an chased the little one away. We were thinking it was a mother and baby the way they acted. Like a Little kid wanting something while mother protected the kid thwarting him off from biting. This went on for a little while. Pretty funny.

We ended the day with 2 lakers each. Im managing to just stay ahead of him:

Laker Taker = 151
Jigging = 155

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #505 on: Mar 15, 2018, 06:42 PM »
Anyone still fishing new found

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #506 on: Mar 16, 2018, 11:33 AM »
Anyone still fishing new found

Yes, i plan on going till the end providing i can still get on. I'll stop by today to check on the bridge. It's been below freezing at night this week so I'm assuming it'll be fine, fine, fine.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #507 on: Mar 16, 2018, 03:48 PM »
Just went by the lake and the wind is WICKED WICKED WICKED!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #508 on: Mar 17, 2018, 05:41 PM »
3/17/2018

Happy St. Paddy's day everyone!

Laker Taker and I ventured out today. Headed up the lake before it got too windy to get the portable set up. We decided to hide on the West side of the lake to get out of the North West wind expected today. Glad we did cause the wind was whipping....but where we were, it wasn't that bad. Used the Argo and wheeler to help block the wind as well.

We only had a couple of Lakers come through which only one hit our jigs. It went back and forth between us for quite a while and finially hit Laker Takers jig. He got one today and I got skunked...he's catching up on me.

Ribeye for lunch, nice day in the portable. Actually too warm.

The boat launch was frozen and able to cross without breaking through. Think i took my bobhouse home too soon. :(

Back at it tomorrow.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #509 on: Mar 18, 2018, 07:11 PM »
3/18/2018

Nice day although colder than yesterday but not as windy....it was windy but not as bad as yesterday.

Decided to hit the west side again today but a bit further north near a point. Got into 30fow and fairly flat with a hard pack bottom. Not much dust when pounding bottom.

Laker Taker ended up with 4, I got 1, Tippin i think got 3 and Psycho ended the day with 7 I believe last I knew. He was on Fire and ruled the board coming back from behind. Nice work Psycho!

Still plenty of ice on the lake with the snow protecting it from melting. The launch was still frozen and i was able to drive across without breaking it up. Hindsight, should of left the bobhouse on the lake :( and would be able to remove from the boat launch. Oh well, still able to bounce around in the portable. Hitting spots i probably wouldn't hit if the house was still out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.