Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2018  (Read 71815 times)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2018
« Reply #510 on: Mar 24, 2018, 07:28 PM »
3/24/2018

CH and I headed out today to get her caught up to her best....she needs 2 more to tie her personal best.

Got to our spot and put out 2 tipups then set up the portable. After getting the portable set up, flag went off and CH was able to get 1. Saw lakers on the camera but mostly chum eaters. Normally I don't put out much chum if any but today decided to. Mistake......
I was able to pull up one and when i got him on the ice, he puked up 2 big smelt. 1 from my jig and the other I realized from CH's tip up. Apparently he ate her smelt on her tipup, we didn't see the flag (too close to the portable) and the laker came over and hit my jig. It must of been real hungry. It really should of been hers but i got it instead. Should of paid more attention to our tipups.

Nice day and i don't think anyone got skunked today. Breezy but not too bad. In the afternoon the wind died down and it was great. Very little propane used today. Still 16" of ice on the lake. Launch access seemed good, frozen this morning but seemed to be getting soft in the afternoon. Bridge is still in place.

Back at it tomorrow.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #511 on: Mar 25, 2018, 07:34 PM »
2/25/2018

CH and I went a bit north of where we were yesterday, in 35fow. Wind seem to be less than yesterday and at times when it stopped it was pretty warm out. Today CH was able to beat her all time season best catching 5 lakers today bringing her total up to 32 lakers for the season. Tippin ruled the board with 6 but CH was doing her best to catch up, unfortunately couldn't pull it off.
I got skunked :(

CH made us some english muffins with eggs, cheddar cheese and sausage. Hit the spot later in the morning to kill our hunger pains.

We fished outside of the portable for a while in deeper water but got nothing. All were caught on smelt, nothing on sucker meat.

Last weekend approaching.......

some pics of CH's fish

CH's ice hole...........

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #512 on: Mar 27, 2018, 05:37 AM »
CH doing what she does....

On her way to her personal best season.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #513 on: Mar 27, 2018, 05:43 AM »
Congrats to you both on your seasons...

Thanks for the vid.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #514 on: Mar 27, 2018, 06:14 AM »
Nice video Jiggn.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #515 on: Mar 27, 2018, 04:30 PM »
Thank you for the video Jiggin. Congratulations to CH and you on both setting new personal best records on lake trout caught in one ice fishing season.
Steve

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #516 on: Mar 30, 2018, 07:32 PM »
3/30/2018

Rough start to the day. Got the Argo loaded and decided to go across some open water to get onto the ice. Deeper than i thought and it wouldn't climb onto the ice. It did float though but with the tracks not touching the bottom it didn't want to move too well. Eventually i got it to back up and onto shore but ended up breaking one of the 4 chains (to the 2 rear tires on one side). Had it in low gear and didn't put it back to high gear while giving it throttle. Low gear is only for doing tight donuts, turn on a dime. My bad. Will need to fix that this summer.

Went back home to get the wheeler and back onto the ice around 10:30 am after transferring ice fishing stuff from one trailer to the next.

The bridge is holding up nicely. Was very foggy on the ice and no wind until the afternoon when the wind picked up. Was a warm wind so not bad. Hit 4 different spots today bouncing around the lake. Ended the day with 4 lakers and missed 2. No camera today, just the fish finder to keep things simples.

Tomorrow is the end of Lake Trout season. The Newfound Circus will get together tomorrow for a last Hurrah!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #517 on: Mar 31, 2018, 04:55 AM »
J, Enjoy the last 'hurrah" for the circus !

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #518 on: Mar 31, 2018, 01:24 PM »
Jiggin, sorry about the broken chain! I’ve read the best way to get up on the ice from water is in reverse as the engine weight is all in the front and
Ice cleats help too. They sell them as a kit to add to the rubber tracks.
Congrats on a stellar season!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #519 on: Mar 31, 2018, 05:16 PM »
03/31/2018

WOW What a season ender.......

Stopped at my bait box to clean it out this morning on the way to the lake......grabbed the rest of my suckers, smelt and redfins to pass out.

Bridge held up nice overnight and was able to get across no problems, met up with Psycho and set up in 35fow. Tippin was the first on the board today while Laker Taker bounced around the lake. We saw them but couldn't get them to commit.

Just before noon we heard Laker Taker say on the radio he just pulled up a 33"er. He brought it over to show us before takin it in for a certified scale weight at Newfound Grocery store. It was all there, nice laker! After the official weight, it was 13.75lbs. Nice Lake Trout!

Great way to end his season, We were both tied at 163 each and then he broke the tie with this laker putting him at 164. Way to end your season ol buddy! Welcome to the over 10'lber (double digit) club too. You certainly deserved and earned it.

Shared plenty of good food and laughs today talking about our Epic Season. Everyone did well this year with personal bests and I think it had to do with having good ice that allowed up to travel to places we haven't been able to get to over the last several years.

Sunburnt a bit today....warm wind and warm weather. Great friendship and good times. Sad but really nice to see everyone together as it started. Smiles....

On the way back to the bridge, the ice let go. Psycho and Tippin went through in 4' of water (not on their wheeler) but while walking up to it to check it.
We readjusted the bridge and helped everyone over the bridge walking then carryed stuff across to lighten the load. Then the wheelers and sleds went over. Not bad, Bridge sank down on the deep end and was solid coming back onto the launch. Good team work right up till the end!

Want to thank everyone on the Newfound Circus for being a part. What fun and adventure....all the while doing it together in some form. This was our EPIC season that we will talk about for a while. You had to be there.......
Thanks too to all those that contributed to this thread...it makes for a good read I think. I hope you all liked it. Till next season...............

That concludes our Newfound Circus Season 2018. It's in the books (and videos). Stay tuned for more videos from this season during the summer.

Cheers!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #520 on: Mar 31, 2018, 05:52 PM »
Wow! Congrats Laker Taker! What a beauty! Any pics of the whopper?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #521 on: Mar 31, 2018, 06:51 PM »
Laker Taker's Trophy

Great Season Buddy!

Offline YT125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #522 on: Mar 31, 2018, 07:13 PM »
Thanks to everyone that takes time to post on this thread, it’s great to have a group of folks to keep us posted on conditions, weather as well as ideas and suggestions. I probably check the thread everyday to hear the stories and get updates. Good luck to all on the soft water! I’ll be looking forward to fishing the deep blue ocean this summer! Thanks!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #523 on: Mar 31, 2018, 09:26 PM »
You guys are hard core!
Huge Congrats, Laker Taker on both your season and last laker of.
You did alright too, Jiggin!  ;)
Nice job getting everyone off the ice albeit a couple wet ones. 

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
« Reply #524 on: Apr 01, 2018, 04:44 AM »
All I can say is WOW, what  beauty! Congrats L T. 

Really missed being part of the circus this season. Hope to be back next year.

To all a good and safe Summer.

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #525 on: Apr 01, 2018, 05:31 AM »
wow, what a hog ! way to go out with a BANG  :o
 that s why they call u laker taker
 congrats to all of the circus on a great season
tim  ;)

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #526 on: Apr 01, 2018, 05:59 AM »
Giant for sure..glad you had a great season..seems like it just started ..thanks for the posts and take care..jibbs
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline ChiselHead2012

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #527 on: Apr 01, 2018, 07:29 AM »

He brought it over to show us before takin it in for a certified scale weight at Newfound Grocery store. It was all there, nice laker! After the official weight, it was 13.75lbs. Nice Lake Trout!

Too bad it had to die.  Another genetic freak removed from the gene pool. Too bad the clowns in the circus can't see past their own self-interest for the greater good of sport fishing sustainability.

Offline winnisquamtrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #528 on: Apr 01, 2018, 08:18 AM »
Jealous much......Nice catch!!!!!!!

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #529 on: Apr 01, 2018, 08:31 AM »
Nice laker, great way to end a season.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #530 on: Apr 01, 2018, 10:07 AM »
Too bad it had to die.  Another genetic freak removed from the gene pool. Too bad the clowns in the circus can't see past their own self-interest for the greater good of sport fishing sustainability.

As a possible one in a lifetime catch, I have no problem with anyone keeping a trophy fish like this.
Only a “clown” would chastise an experienced fisherman for choosing to keep a trophy in my opinion. You’re entitled to your opinion but don’t come around here to insult someone you don’t know because of his choice.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #531 on: Apr 01, 2018, 11:29 AM »

Great name for a rock group "Genetic Freaks".

SHOWTIME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #532 on: Apr 01, 2018, 11:48 AM »
As a possible one in a lifetime catch, I have no problem with anyone keeping a trophy fish like this.
Only a “clown” would chastise an experienced fisherman for choosing to keep a trophy in my opinion. You’re entitled to your opinion but don’t come around here to insult someone you don’t know because of his choice.

And staying within the law.

Well said mowbizz. This guy deserves no internet shaming for an epic fish. Awesome way to end the season.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #533 on: Apr 01, 2018, 11:50 AM »

Offline wentworth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #534 on: Apr 01, 2018, 11:56 AM »
Not that I have many post,but someone comes on here with 18 post ,with that crap,my word.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #535 on: Apr 01, 2018, 12:02 PM »

Did PETA lose a member? 

Great fish and awesome way to end the season. 

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #536 on: Apr 01, 2018, 12:09 PM »
Not that I have many post,but someone comes on here with 18 post ,with that crap,my word.

Since 2014?

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #537 on: Apr 01, 2018, 12:13 PM »

I get your point,but to pigeonhole all of us as “CLOWNS” in a demeaning manner classifies you as a piece of crap !
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #538 on: Apr 01, 2018, 12:14 PM »

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.