Author Topic: SE Idaho (pocatello preston soda springs)  (Read 8065 times)

Offline ripndalips

• IceShanty Rookie
SE Idaho (pocatello preston soda springs)
« on: Jan 08, 2008, 11:43 AM »
I am some what new to hardwater fishing and was wondering where in se Idaho I can get a mess of perch. Thanks 

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SE Idaho (pocatello preston soda springs)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2008, 10:27 PM »
when i was little i would fish mud lake and do very good, buts kind of a drive from pocatello. there is a lake down by Preston called onida res. that has perch but i've only fished it during the summer, i would think it would be good to! theres even some walleye in there!

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2008, 03:31 PM »
I would be careful on Onieda because from what I've heard the water level can drop quickly leaving a space between the water and ice...I sure wouldn't wanna be on that ice with air between it and the water :o ...a good way to end your fishing career in a big hurry :'(  But this is kinda 2nd hand info since I've never actually fished it, or even seen it...just want anyone who ventures out there to be awful careful :)

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2008, 08:51 PM »
I would be careful on Onieda because from what I've heard the water level can drop quickly leaving a space between the water and ice...I sure wouldn't wanna be on that ice with air between it and the water :o ...a good way to end your fishing career in a big hurry :'(  But this is kinda 2nd hand info since I've never actually fished it, or even seen it...just want anyone who ventures out there to be awful careful :)
wow :o....that would be somethin to be careful of!

Offline ripndalips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2008, 11:41 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  I actually went fishing to Alexander res by soda springs.  fishing was pretty slow.  caught a couple though.  There was six inches of slush on top of the ice.  but it was better than work.

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2008, 12:18 PM »
is that the lake just out of soda on the west side?

Offline ripndalips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2008, 04:31 PM »
moski,

yes that would be the correct body of water

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2008, 12:58 AM »
i drive by there all the time but never fished it! i hope to hit it this year but im so busy tryin to keep up with the macks down here on the gorge! keep a update if you fish it some more!

Offline idaho beerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2008, 01:33 PM »
Just joined into Ice Shanty--I'm a die hard ice nut living in Boise ID after having spent most of my life in Bozeman MT. Always looking for new water to ice fish. Just got a lead for waters down in SE Idaho so looking for some information on Twin Lakes and Glendale. Mostly interested in panfish---perch and hopefully crappies. Have been over to Magic last two weekends in a row and did fair on smallish perch but managed enough keepers to have a nice batch of chowder. Would appreciate any feedback.

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2008, 03:56 PM »
twin lakes has a lot of panfish! i have never fished it on the ice, just during the summer! i'm sure it would be killer thou! if you do go fish it leave a report! thanks moski 8)

Offline CuttemJack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2008, 07:33 PM »
Are there crappie in Twin Lakes? I know there are bluegill and I have heard they can be nice sized. What can you expect to catch on Twin on an average day?

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2008, 09:58 PM »
i know theres large mouth, blues, perch, cats and im pretty sure theres crappie but im not a 100% ???!there might be more but those are what i've caught out of it!

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2008, 11:02 AM »
Still doing well on Ririe.  Catching good perch everytime out and having many, many more lookers who are tight lipped.  Most folks dont seem to do too great out there.  You have to be willing to move to find active fish and you need to work your presentation to target the moods of the fish on any given day.  Yesterday the wind eventually blew me off at about 3 pm.  by that time there wasn't anyone out there without a shanty and even in my shanty I was getting blown around.  Took me a fair amount of time to figure the fish out but once i did i was able to ice some nice perch.  Having a vexilar was the key to success.  I would have done much better but I was unable to move to continually re-locate fish due to the wind.  I had to sit in one spot and wait for schools to move through :-[.  I didn't ice or even see any sure-signs of kokes.  Usually I'll have um come through on the vex, but I didn't see any school in 4+ hrs of fishing yesterday.  The kokes are funny, sometimes they'll show up and sometimes they won't ???

I've learned a lot about Ririe this year and I'm now pretty confident that I can hit the ice and be successful on almost any given day.  You have to be willing to relocate, try new presentations and find active fish and head out on your own.  Seems there are always active fish on any given day, you just must find them.

Offline ripndalips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2008, 03:34 PM »
I went out to Weston saturday.  Not too many biters. but the six that were caught were 8-10.  too slow for 8 hours of fishing. Did any one else get out this weekend and did anyone do any good.

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2008, 01:38 AM »
i'm glad to hear fishin on ririe is good! are you fishin closer to the dam or the narrow?

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2008, 10:33 AM »
I'm fishing a variety of places on Ririe, but usually not too far from the launch since I don't have a quad or a sled.  Fish are located in a variety of areas and it usually doesn't take too long to find them.  If you aren't hooking fish then change presentations or move.  If you move and still aren't catching fish then move again.  Moving is a pain, but for me it makes 100% difference between catching 1/2 dozen fish and having constant action.  Find the fish...

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2008, 08:40 PM »
I have some freinds that have been doing well on perch at American Fall Res. They have caught some nice ones too . Two 10" one 11 1/2 " and one 13" and a bunch 6"to 9" In 15' of water just off the park at Aberdeen . If the wind slows down thats where I will be next Wednesday . I went to Twin Lakes Yesterday and caught 4 trout and one small perch .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2008, 03:06 AM »
how is the ice there? is the dam froze?

Offline ripndalips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2008, 11:54 AM »
I have some freinds that have been doing well on perch at American Fall Res. They have caught some nice ones too . Two 10" one 11 1/2 " and one 13" and a bunch 6"to 9" In 15' of water just off the park at Aberdeen . If the wind slows down thats where I will be next Wednesday . I went to Twin Lakes Yesterday and caught 4 trout and one small perch .

Curt,

Do you know what the catch rate was for your friends at American Falls. and what they were biting on. Thanks

Offline Big Mack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2008, 11:48 PM »
What works good for perch at ririe if ya don't mind me asking?

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2008, 09:40 AM »
I've had success with a few different jigs.  Usually I use hali jigs.  Like a swedish pimple with a chain that dangles below holding the hook.  If fish are really tight lipped try switching to a little ice jig like a genz worm without any additional weight.  It takes a long time to get the little jig to the bottom, but once it is there the fish will hammer it.  If you don't have spring bobbers, then get um cause last weekend I wouldn't have caught too many perch without them. 

I tend to use waxies, but if I'm not marking kokes I'll switch to perch belly meat since it stays on better and perch still eat it happily.

Offline Big Mack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2008, 10:29 AM »
Thanks for the info wingnutty, might head over next week if I can get some time away from work.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2008, 08:37 PM »
Curt,

Do you know what the catch rate was for your friends at American Falls. and what they were biting on. Thanks
It depends on the day . One day he caught 62 the next week he caught 35 . He is using a yellow jig and about 3/4" of night crawler hooked in the middle . The first day while fishing for perch he caught a 6 pound rainbow and the second time one 5 1/2 pounder  .  If the wind would slow down . I will be headed over there myself .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline ripndalips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2008, 12:57 PM »
Has any one fished chesterfield recently.  if so what were the fish biting on and was it any good. Thanks Dan

Offline Big Mack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2008, 08:53 AM »
A buddy of mine fished there last weekend and said he knocked em dead. Nothing huge but caught a lot. All rainbows.

Offline ripndalips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2008, 10:42 AM »
Fished Chesterfield and couldnt keep them off.  Bit was definatley on.  All small trout none with any size.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2008, 11:16 AM »
Went to American Falls yesterday and had a ball . Kept 36 pearch . The two biggest 10" and 11" . Didn't keep any under 7" . Caught them on spoons and jigs . Everyone was tipped with corn . Fished from 10:00 am to 4 pm.
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline ripndalips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 18, 2008, 01:11 PM »
fishied american falls as well on sat and did well on perch. Our auger broke but a guy was nice enough to drill us 3 holes.  we kept probably 20 perch nothing under 7 most 8-9.  great day.  Does anyone know where a guy can catch some eyes in se Idaho.  Thanks Dan

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 18, 2008, 10:19 PM »
fishied american falls as well on sat and did well on perch. Our auger broke but a guy was nice enough to drill us 3 holes.  we kept probably 20 perch nothing under 7 most 8-9.  great day.  Does anyone know where a guy can catch some eyes in se Idaho.  Thanks Dan
the only place i know is Oneida res. but i hear the water level changes a lot up there. ???

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 19, 2008, 10:09 AM »
Salmon Falls Res. has waleye . It is located between Twin Falls and Jackpot Nevada . There is a store at Rogerson that has 10 pounders hanging on the walls from there .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.