Author Topic: nite fishing  (Read 4303 times)

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: nite fishing
« Reply #30 on: Jan 19, 2014, 12:49 AM »
yeah, it's a bullhead, i had tipups set out with cutbait and they got hit, but i didn't check often enough and i missed all the flags i got.
the rod i caught that guy on was intended for bluegill.

the only problem with your suggestion is that the cats in this particular pond average about a pound or less. they're way too small for even 2/0 hooks.

my rigs usually consist of three hooks, a size 4 or 6 treble on the bottom baited with a bluegill head, and then two size 4 wide-gap octopus hooks spaced a foot apart and baited with cutbait. it's caught me plenty of cats through the summer fishing vertical.

my biggest issue really was location, i was set in a corner on a transition from weeds to mud and gravel, which is good, but i needed something there to hold the fish for a bit.
there's a nice sunken log in another corner of the pond, but the ice was really sketchy around it, so i opted for another area. i'm hoping another cold snap will come through and freeze everything up solid so i can try again, last weekend's rainstorm did a nasty number on that pond, and i haven't gotten my cat fix for the winter.

Offline cuda

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 20, 2014, 01:47 AM »
Finally got out tonite we ended up going to hawkens and after 5 hours not even a bite however the lite worked great i used a pond lite from harber freight 10 bucks and powered it with my flasher  going to try for gills next but i have a question do u put the lite down the hole ur fishing or out a ways
Keep chill

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 20, 2014, 02:05 AM »
have any of you night fished upper twin or fernan lake
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline Bardic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:37 AM »
I would put it out a ways, so you are fishing the darkness at the edge of light. Most of the big ones should stay in the shadows at the outer edges, but they could also be below your light if the water is deep enough. You can see if you start to attract minnows darting around and bigger fish chasing those.

Offline cuda

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 20, 2014, 09:33 AM »
So if im fishing the dark edge of the light should i use glow jigs or uv? Also i have a lot of minnows to use any info on hooking those on a hook vertical or no
Keep chill

Offline Bardic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 20, 2014, 09:51 AM »
For crappie we had the best luck on white jigs and semi good luck on the same thing in dark green. Since fish tend to change color a bit to match their surroundings I would think a light colored jig or glow jig in the shadows would give the impression that it had wandered out of the light too far and the bigger fish would grab it. Regular minnows should be good too because they will see it clearly against the white of the light behind it.

Offline badlandspc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 26, 2014, 03:38 AM »
besides the green led lights, I have my really bright North Star Lantern outside my pop up shelter, to bring the fish in.

If I see a bunch of fish on my flasher and don't get bites the I turn the lantern down or off.

Sometimes it works to shut off the green lights and just use the lantern on low after I have drawn the fish in.

I usually use glow hooks, ratso's and ratfink's for kokanee and trout at night.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 04, 2014, 11:47 AM »
would anyone want to do a night fishing trip on avondale for jumbo perch and big crappies
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 04, 2014, 12:08 PM »
I might be interested. When were you thinking of going?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 04, 2014, 12:12 PM »
this wensday or weekend

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 04, 2014, 12:38 PM »
I am usually only able to get away to fish on the weekend. I think we are going to stay around the Pullman/Moscow area this weekend, but that does sound like a blast! Do you have a shanty and heater?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 04, 2014, 12:52 PM »
heater yes, more then one person shanty no,  just have a single person hut

Offline Hamstn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:24 AM »

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:29 PM »
i went night fishing last night at avondale and wished i had a camera i hooked a huge pike  im guessing a good 30 pounder i unhooked it at the hole so be ready for it and also hooked a few catfish(bullheads)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.