Author Topic: What am I missing / my plan of attack? Updated with results.  (Read 4544 times)

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
So, the whole house has been sick and I am the last one to catch it and I don't let colds get me down. So, I fully plan to take advantage of a little break in work to head out on Sunday to go fishing and to drag my unsuspecting wife onto the ice. She asked if she had a pink rod, and I said why yes, you do. Fortunately I found one yesterday so I was able to fulfill that request.

Equipment.
Shanty
Auger
Ice Cleats
Spikes x 2
Leash for my son (just kidding)
2 regular sleds to pull equipment.
2 Jaw Jackers
3 Jigger Totters
7 ice poles of varying length and action all strung with lines to match.
2 regular long pole.
Snacks, food, water, sunscreen, lunch, chairs,etc.
change of clothes for everyone.
Hand warmers.
Heater and propane

Now I love to catfish, so I plan on setting two long poles up with some cutbait on the bottom to see if there are any channels waiting for a snack. I know channels are occasionally found up there, though I don't believe it is all that common. Since we will have the capacity, why not.

I have a selection of jigs, swedish pimples, jigging raps, and a few jigging spoons. Plus I have all my trout gear and I hear that you can jig kastmasters and I have a ton of those. Worms, maggots, meal worms, salmon eggs (wife insists). My PK order won't be here in time I don't think. Not sure. If it does make it then I have a bout 15 other PK lures to chose from.

My plan is to have the jaw jackers set up for trout and the jigger totters set for perch.

As you can see, I have no idea what I am doing on the ice, but I do go all out. A couple weeks ago I didn't have any ice fishing gear and now I have enough to get in trouble.

The plan is to go up to the boulder creek section to start and maybe stop by the southern portion on our way back depending on how we did. I would like to bring enough perch home to have a perch dinner and a couple decent size trout. The little 10" ones are a pain and it would be nice to catch something bigger.

What am I missing, or what tips do you have?
James

Offline Phission

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: What am I missing / my plan of attack?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:18 AM »
Depending on your wife's tolerance for cold, you may want to add a Buddy or similar heater to your list. It will warm the shelter nicely. That will give her a place to warm her hands and toes if the temps are very cold or the winds kick up!

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:22 AM »
ice scoop
sonar (game changer)
minnows for perch
minnow heads to tip jiggin raps for walleye if they're in the water where you're headed
portable heater if it's really cold. Wouldn't want the more cold sensitive people in your group to want to make you leave because they're cold.
Hand or toe warmers are a more affordable, quicker solution for the cold blooded and they work wonders.

Sounds like you know what you're after species wise but remember you may have to downsize your presentation for cats through the ice. They're very much a warm water species and get lethargic in winter and might not want to eat much or at all. I've landed them on small jigs tipped with a wax worm. And a perch head only once. Good luck and tight lines!
Selective harvest works!

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:29 AM »
ice scoop
sonar (game changer)
minnows for perch
minnow heads to tip jiggin raps for walleye if they're in the water where you're headed
portable heater if it's really cold. Wouldn't want the more cold sensitive people in your group to want to make you leave because they're cold.
Hand or toe warmers are a more affordable, quicker solution for the cold blooded and they work wonders.

Sounds like you know what you're after species wise but remember you may have to downsize your presentation for cats through the ice. They're very much a warm water species and get lethargic in winter and might not want to eat much or at all. I've landed them on small jigs tipped with a wax worm. And a perch head only once. Good luck and tight lines!

Thank you. Have the ice scoop. Would love to have a sonar but I will have to wait on that one. Brining the big buddy heater to provide warmth and have a ton of hand warmers that can also be dropped into boots. I bought the shanty specifically to keep those ones happy because if they are happy, daddy is happy.

I've kicked around the idea of buying a sled, but it also looks popular to build one with some old skis.
James

Offline spud bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:29 AM »
Only 1 thing that I can think of. Walking boots. Depending on your desire for success, I wouldn't plan on setting up shop until you find some perch willing to play ball. You've got all the tackle you'll need, except for a flasher. So my suggestion is punch a few holes, and if you don't get any takers in 10 minutes, time to move. Then move some more. A week ago I hit all my best spots, and it took 2 hours and some new territory to get into them. Just don't get locked into one spot, unless you're lucky enough to set up right on top of some feeders. Let us know how it goes for you guys, and have some fun. Good luck!

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:37 AM »
do note that catfish dont always stay on the bottom i have seen them 4 feet off the bottom and channel cats sometimes even higher also look up videos on youtube about icefishing for channels plus you will need a bucket or bag to put your fish in (pliers to unhook catfish that swallowed the bait)
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:40 AM »
do note that catfish dont always stay on the bottom i have seen them 4 feet off the bottom and channel cats sometimes even higher also look up videos on youtube about icefishing for channels plus you will need a bucket or bag to put your fish in (pliers to unhook catfish that swallowed the bait)

Good points all around. I know they will hit jigs and I need to shrink the bait.

I should note, that I am bringing my regulat fishing gear meaning forceps, knife, clippers, etc. All the normal stuff that goes with me during my softwater fishing trips. I fish a lot throughout the year in lakes, ponds, rivers, etc so I have all the normal stuff. Ice fishing is new for me and perch is new for me.
James

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2014, 12:04 PM »
Since we can't use live bait, what kind of minnows should I be buying?
James

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2014, 12:10 PM »
I wouldn't worry about minnows or dead ones for that matter. Worms and maggots are fine.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2014, 03:56 PM »
I wouldn't worry about minnows or dead ones for that matter. Worms and maggots are fine.

Yeah around here I haven't had much success with minnow heads except on bodies of water with jumbos, when I was out on cascade, I did really well with the smallest jiggin rap in chartreuse with the red head, tipped with a wax worm on the treble hook.  You will probably have to order in wax worms, although tackle toms had some on Sunday when I went in there he was running low though.

The best presentation for the jiggin rap seemed to be holding it about 3 feet off the bottom with an aggressive jerk up then a slow decent, then aggressive jerk up then slow decent, the smaller fish did not respond to the bait, they would investigate but not bite, the keepers would stay on the bottom and jet up to the jiggin rap with authority and then slam it! Fish on!  That was the best way I found to get the bigger fish to bite without having to unhook 80 perch before a keeper!

If you want to try the minnows, I buy these (remember live fish are illegal to use in Idaho):
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magic-Emerald-Shiner-Minnows-Small-Pouch/17133790

They never go bad and they're cheap enough to always have as an option!

Offline FishingSpud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2014, 04:29 PM »
Chocolate! Sorry, I have no idea what it has to do with ice fishing, but chocolate always seems to make things better according to my wife...can't hurt!  ;D

Offline spud bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2014, 05:51 PM »
Well if you're going that route, then some home brewed apple pie is in order ;)

Offline FishingSpud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2014, 06:08 PM »
Not to belabor the obvious, but don't forget the fishing licenses for everyone that needs one...I know it should be a given, but I almost forgot that I had not renewed my daughter's fishing license the last time I was going to take her out...just about forgot completely. The rest of your list looks great to me at least. Best of luck to you!

Offline cyclocoastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:15 PM »
Holy Crap man! You ought to think about the kitchen sink too! Leave the minnows and take the night crawlers. They're cheaper and plenty effective. Tipped on a horizontal jig, you'll be good to go.
Jesus was an ice fisherman...

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:58 PM »
Holy Crap man! You ought to think about the kitchen sink too! Leave the minnows and take the night crawlers. They're cheaper and plenty effective. Tipped on a horizontal jig, you'll be good to go.

Yeah, I don't do things halfway. I didn't plan on outfitting myself to that level. It just kind of happened. I did stay with a manual auger this year. Maybe a fish finder and power auger will find homes in the storage unit in the offseason.

I'll skip the minnows this time as I have plenty of options to throw at them.

James

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:41 PM »
I would go out and check out the equipment and find fish as close to shore as possible on my own or with someone who can help you drill holes.  Then I would bring the troops and setup your shanty on a known easy to reach hotspot for probably perch and hope for lots of action while planning on doing very little fishing yourself that first time out.  Got to make the action fast or you can lose all but the most interested recruits.  If you do let someone else use your auger, I seldom do, make sure they know not to bounce or force it on the ice or you will dull the blades. 

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2014, 10:15 PM »
WEll, I'm back. We went up to Boulder creek today and nobody was there. Probably should have left and went down to sugarloaf but we stayed.

Let's back up a little. Was planning on getting on the road around10 this morning. MY wife ended upw orking a 12+ hour day yesterday so we left her but did not get on the road until almost 11. Stopped at Tackle Toms, asked a few questions and then we went out to Boulder. I so wish my job would allow me to live up there. MY wife could get work up there, but mine doesn't allow it. Oh well.

I think I bit off more than I can chew with this trip. First, we didn't catch jack. I got one bite that broke off my line. That rod had 4lb Trilene XL and it broke off above the swivel. I was busy trying to keep a 6 year old safe and occupied so I wasn't watch that pole. For all I know, the fish was on there for 5 minutes and cut it on the edge of the hole.

Learning:

Drilling through 16-18" of ice by hand is tiring. Holy crap!
Bringing a 6 year old  out on your first trip is a BAD idea. Bringing a 6 year old out at all is a bad idea if you have to drive 2 hours to get there.
I need to shed a BUNCH of gear and modify my sled to pull easier.
Focus on fewer things and doing them well.

I was all over the board so I wasn't able to focus on anything for any length of time. We needed to be out there earlier and I need to buddy up with someone who has a power auger until I get the chance to buy one. Getting holes drilled and the deadsticks in will then allow me to jig and learn how to jig in the tent.

I'm carrying way too much stuff. I brought my normal tackle box. I need to put up a small kit that is just for ice fishing. Yeah, it means buying another pair of forceps, clippers, etc., but it will remove a lot of weight from my sled, making it easier to pull. Speaking of my sled, I have a Cabelas sled and I need to put a frame under it and some skis as well as getting a better handle on it. Thinking tow rope handle for skiing. Would love to have a snow machine or quad, but it is not in the cards right now.

I jumped in too fast into ice fishing. A large part of that is the drive. I can fish a lot of places within minutes of my house, so softwater fishing is a no brainer.

I hope to get out one more time this winter if the schedule allows. It would be nice to just get some more experience under my belt and to do so without my son along. That way, when he is old enough to focus, I will know what I am doing to help him.

That's my recap.
James

Offline bentrodz

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: What am I missing / my plan of attack? Updated with results.
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2014, 11:06 PM »
 Should just go out to Lowell a few times to get some basics figured out. Its close and you can usually get some to bite.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:31 AM »
Sounds like the weekend wasn't wasted if you chalk it up to a learning experience. :)

Offline elkhunter1834

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:48 AM »
First few times are tough with the kids, I took my 4 year old to horsethief on his first trip caught lots of trout, now he asks everyday when i get home from work if we can go fishing, Keep trying you will get the hang of it. Good luck.

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:08 AM »
it takes some experience or going with an experienced fisherman..... too learn lake Cascade I was lucky enough too go with HooknHunter and Riverwanderer, now i'm the one giving advice....  :o anyway, a first good trip without a power auger would have been Horsethief but in my opinion boulder cr. is probably the next best place, can you give alittle more info. on where you went from boulder like distance and direction? Maybe depth of water? I think I have sent two other people there and I believe 1 of the two did well including a 2.5lb perch...
Matt
Duck-Slayers new nickname is "DUD-switch".  Just for the record......  BITE ME

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 
2012 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2012 Cascade Ice Cup Derby winner - Perch
2013 Hard Water Classic winner - Perch
2013 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2014 Hard Water Classic 2nd - Perch

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:22 AM »
Put skis on the bottom of your sled . You can get them at any thrift store cheap . I use down hill skis . Also you can get a harness called a deer drag at Walmart for about 5 bucks to pull your sled it leaves your hands free .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline Bardic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:32 AM »
I'm probably about like you, take everything I think I might need and then some. I have a jump battery and a couple of fishing lights thrown in too, and a couple of chairs. I have the fish finder but no shanty yet, and I didn't get the sled, I've been MacGyvering it a little using a storage tub with a rope tied around to pull. My first one had a little edge on the bottom, worked perfectly on ice with a touch of snow, but at cascade I was fighting every cross track and it kept falling over, wouldn't hold the auger, made for a very frustrating trip. And like you, I didn't catch any :)

The new tub is bigger, fits everything but the auger with the lid on, has a smooth bottom, and the rope attaches beautifully. I still won't take it in any deep snow. I was going to make a ski frame for it today so I could, but decided it might be easier this summer and I can fish smaller closer places until then. So far I've been ice fishing on Roberts, McTucker, Little Payette, Boulder Creek at Cascade, Sugarloaf at Cascade, Lowell, and went to the Kuna pond and realized I had forgotten every one of my poles, and didn't even have line to tie to a stick.

Oh, and I second Lowell, that 10" ice was so much easier than Cascade. Cascade just about killed me even with a 6" auger, I think they make it extra hard somehow. Although the auger beats the ice spud alone, and the ice spud beats the hammer and chisel I used the first time at Roberts. Each trip gets better.

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:12 PM »
Lots of good tips which I appreciate.

Skis are a definite must. Hell, if I put skis on it I could probably sit on top and ride it all the way to my fishing spot.  I also wish I would have bought an otter sled. The rope connection points are lower which should lift the front end a little ensuring it doesn't dig in. They also seem much heavier duty than the cabelas version. Oh well.

Downhill skis or cross country skis, or does it matter.

Lowell is a good idea., just to get experience in jigging and the feeling of perch biting and jigging for trout as opposed to deadsticking. Also, 10-12" of ice should keep me from burning my arms out.

Maybe I can sneak out for a few hours this Sunday.

As for Boulder creek. We went down the boat ramp and out about 75 yards or so. Not too far. We could see up and down the lake and were fishing in 10-12 FOW.

I'm definitely not giving up, just adjusting my strategy so I don't keel over dead on the ice.
James

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:19 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0

This link will tell you everything you need to know. I did one a few weeks ago, spent $3 and took a couple hours to make. My wife told me I should do it after I pulled the kids gear and shack out and back. Tell you what the smitty sled is one slick contraption.

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:28 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0

This link will tell you everything you need to know. I did one a few weeks ago, spent $3 and took a couple hours to make. My wife told me I should do it after I pulled the kids gear and shack out and back. Tell you what the smitty sled is one slick contraption.

I've looked through that thread and there are some great ideas. I even thought of getting a Harbor freight wagon and converting it over. They are just a bit too heavy to use as a base. I have plenty of scrap wood so that is a non issue and I heard about the deer harness which for $4 should be good. I just need to finish the dog house and then I can make the sled.
James

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 04, 2014, 09:35 AM »
Get a 8 inch Nils and you can add a power head later.  Drills by hand like a hot knife through butter.  But the cover sucks so get a Cold Snap after market cover.

Offline elkhunter1834

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:35 AM »
Thats a great idea, I know what i am doing sat afternoon, on call for work this week end so can't leave far from home. I will call it improvement Sat.

Offline IrishnId

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:45 AM »
Sounds like me last year! I haven't changed much other than the hand auger. Picked up an Ion auger and love it. Next is a shanty and sonar. Good luck.

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 05, 2014, 02:30 PM »
Don't beat yourself up too much, everyone's gotta learn.  I was fairly frustrated the first few times out as well.  I agree with your "simple is better" approach, just find what is best for you and how you like to fish.  I have been out fishing and seen other people and said to myself, "man, I would never waste my time with...", and I've also picked up lots of good ideas from other people.  Just make it fun, and when you take the kiddos out with you, just focus on them and help them have a fun time and fish, don't worry so much about getting everything right with your lines, they would rather remember the fishing trip for catching the fish instead of Dad being a grump!  I love to take my kids and neices and nephews out, but it is limited to just a few trips!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.