Author Topic: white perch  (Read 1914 times)

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
white perch
« on: Sep 29, 2009, 08:18 AM »
anyone have decent luck targeting white perch in winter? ive got them in summer but never was able to find the schools in winter. treid drop offs on rocky points to weedy coves. only get pics. and smallies.

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: white perch
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2009, 08:33 AM »
anyone have decent luck targeting white perch in winter? ive got them in summer but never was able to find the schools in winter. treid drop offs on rocky points to weedy coves. only get pics. and smallies.
   Find the bait fish/ You'll find the whities.(look in 30-40 FOW)....Lou
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2009, 07:39 AM »
thanks lou! i got them in the summer from one lake they were right full of smelt but i caught them 5ft. down trolling over deep water? they must be down near bottom w/ the smelt in the deep water in winter then? what about a lake w/ 17ft. max depth w/ no smelt in it? where would you try then? this lake has alot of rocky points and such.

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2009, 01:20 PM »
thanks lou! i got them in the summer from one lake they were right full of smelt but i caught them 5ft. down trolling over deep water? they must be down near bottom w/ the smelt in the deep water in winter then? what about a lake w/ 17ft. max depth w/ no smelt in it? where would you try then? this lake has alot of rocky points and such.
  I would concentrate in the deeper water......Just remember that the white perch act very similar to stripers.....They are strong swimmers & are continually Chasing Bait fish.... Alewife/ Shiners / Chubs / Smelts / Whatever is the forage on that particular body of water......Also remember that they don't stay in one area very long.....When the bait moves , They FOLLOW....I've had very good luck jigging them up w/ many types of spoons, such as swedish pimples/ Kastmasters/ Crockadiles etc. ....  Hope this helps?    Good luck,  Lou
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2009, 06:54 PM »
thanks again lou! ill let you know how i did. just need ice now! tight lines!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.