Author Topic: Bait tank location in MA  (Read 826 times)

Offline mattthehairy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a beverage here man!
Bait tank location in MA
« on: Nov 14, 2011, 06:16 AM »
I'm weighing the pros and cons of doing some bait catching this year, my only issue is that I don't really have a garage or any indoor insulated/heated space for the tank as we live in a small cabin.  I DO have a root cellar and plenty of space outside.  Provided I kept the water moving and got it out there soon you think I could go until January with it outside before everything started to freeze up? 

Would I be better off just doing it all in the root cellar?  I see a lot of guys keep the tanks in their garages both heated and unheated so I'm thinking I'd be ok....

I've also heard of people storing them in a body of water... I have access to a private river that cuts through our property but by the middle of winter it does freeze up.  Right now I'm leaning towards the root cellar.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

' \
                                 '   \
                                 '     \@
                                 '       \\
             --------------( ' )---------------
                                 '
                   ><:>      '     <:::><
                                 '
                   ><:::>   *

Offline MoreTroutPls

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bait tank location in MA
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2011, 08:15 AM »
I would use the root cellar.  Then you do not have to deal with getting the bait out of the river to go fishing. 

I keep my bait in the cellar (current temp is 60 degrees).  I usually put my bait in my car or in my unheated garage overnight to cool down slowly so the bait does not get such a large temperature shock.  An air pump keeps them well supplied with oxygen.

Everyone has to believe in something.  I believe I'll go fishing.
Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline ftwchopper

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Bait tank location in MA
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2011, 09:14 PM »
I keep mine in the barn and when we had a cold spell,my water pump froze.This year im adding a small aquarium heater,just enough to keep it thawed out during really cold days....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.