Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Moorland pond  (Read 3600 times)

Offline fishunlimited(fu)

• IceShanty Rookie
Moorland pond
« on: Jan 19, 2013, 09:48 PM »
Anybody hit it today since the trout stocking? Five of us ended with 20 fished all day though.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Moorland pond
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2013, 10:56 PM »
A friend and I hit it up Tuesday during midday for four hours. We had never been there before. We ended up landing 6 and losing 4. The best method seemed to be dead sticking small jig/bait combos.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2013, 01:13 PM »
Just another update on this hole. Fished it again yesterday for 2 1/2 hours, leaving with our limit between two guys. Never moved once. Seemed to pay off big time to stay quiet and keep movement to a minimum.

Rat Finkee made my hands stinky!(once again)

I recognize the "pics or it didn't happen" thing, but I haven't a clue how to post them. Any help??

Offline fishunlimited(fu)

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2013, 08:28 PM »
I'm telling all of you once. If you want to catch trout there, fish in 4 FOW with a 1/32 ounce jig and a minnow hooked through the lips. All you do is look down the hole and jig from 1 foot off the bottom to 1 foot under the ice. Keep repeating this until you see a trout. Then at two foot down just jig the heck out of your rod and wait for the trout. It helps if you hit the ice with your scoop as it calls in the trout.

My cousin and I caught these ten in honestly 10 minutes. We fished for 4 hours in one spot and caught probably 90 trout. Saw one of the big ones too.
 I'm seriously not crapting you or pulling your leg or nothing. We didn't go 5 minutes without a trout I swear.

Offline adam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2013, 10:05 PM »
very nicely done thank you for the report!

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2013, 07:10 PM »
Anyone aware of.the ice conditions.here? Going tommorrow and wanted to make sure it was safe.

Offline walleyewarrior50595

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2013, 11:17 PM »
Probably rotten. Brushy was bad enough several people went through today

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2013, 08:06 AM »
Thanks much for the info walleye warrior!

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2013, 02:14 PM »
Decided to go anyway. Good 8 inches of ice. Caught 10 in about a two hour period. One on a Rapala rippin rap!

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2013, 05:39 PM »
Decided to go anyway. Good 8 inches of ice. Caught 10 in about a two hour period. One on a Rapala rippin rap!

thanks for the update. best to check things out yourself sometimes. lots of misinformation at times

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline adam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2013, 12:07 AM »
The mis information annoys the hell out of me. Thank you for the reports.

Offline icyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2013, 02:05 PM »
just got off the pond, while there is open water at the west end, we had a good 8" of ice under us wherever we drilled, caught 3, missed one at the hole, a lot of missed bites and stolen minnows, we were using swedish pimples, one tipped with minnows/heads and another tipped with waxies, could get a few to buy what we were sellin but that wasn't quite what they were lookin for

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2013, 02:24 PM »
They seemed a bit tougher yesterday for us. We used pink 1/32 oz jigs with minnows, totally deadsticking. I had another hole near with an aggressively jigged bait. Almost every time they hit the still jig instead. Fished in 6 feet of water.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2013, 02:53 PM »
Stirring the water under the hole never hurt in the last 33 years I been icing.  Some rickety old gal showed me that my first week ice fishing.

Lot of times I do that instead of moving.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2013, 06:45 PM »
The mis information annoys the hell out of me. Thank you for the reports.
Dont be lazy and get on the web to beg for a report then. My cousin fell through across from the beach and I've heard of several others. If you still got an attitude please go check it out, hopefully a nice swim will soothe your "cramps"  ;D

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2013, 08:13 PM »

Just proof I'm not bs'ing ya'll.  The crappie is not from Moorland though.

Offline adam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2013, 10:18 PM »
walleye warrior i didnt ask for a report online and i get my fair share of fishing in myself. ive read ur post about all the people catching fish at brushy and what not and i dont doubt that your cousin took a drink over by the beach. that area has been sketchy ice all season long but why would u get on the moorland pond thread and say probably rotten. also when you mention anything about brushy you failed to mention that there is still 12-14 inches of ice from the north boat ramp to midlake. i was just out there today if your wondering from when those ice reports are. i agree that people need to check themselves and not solely rely on the internet but ur post are misleading to outdoorsman that are just looking to get out and have a good time. tight lines and the best of luck to you the rest of the season with my only point being if your cousin fell through on the worst ice all year at brushy creek you shouldnt go on the moorland pond thread and say that there ice is probably rotten.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2013, 10:44 PM »
Ice around shore is getting rotten, any fool should know that. As well that brushy ice will be short lived based on the conditions on the north ramp getting on or thin ice around trees everyones not talking about.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2013, 11:14 AM »
Asking about ice conditions is a whole different thing than asking how or where to catch fish in said body of water.  No one wants to drive an hour only to discover unsafe ice.  If anyone asks me advice on local waters I always help. Seems like something you should do, one angler to another, even though for me, the search is half the fun.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2013, 05:55 PM »
Slaying rainbows as I write this!

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2013, 09:32 AM »
Finished catching trout, headed out on the highway and promptly shmucked a deer with my truck. Talk about going from high to low in a matter of minutes  :-\

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2013, 11:52 PM »
My 22 year old did that to my truck it sucks . How's ice up that way? Thinking about trying badger lake
Never to many short poles

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2013, 12:16 AM »
Seemed like a good 7" where I was drillin' here. But I was on a local gravel pit nearby home (sac county) as well yesterday and got into an area that only had maybe 3".

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2013, 08:58 PM »
Iced and released 28 trout today. Beautiful day to be out :tipup:

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 01, 2013, 07:57 PM »
Considering one more trip here. Anyone aware of ice conditions in the last couple days?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 01, 2013, 08:15 PM »
4" right up against the open water. Was sitting on ice and fishing through the skim

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 06, 2013, 05:02 PM »
Sorry for sounding like a broken record, but does anyone know if the ice is safe here? If not, any fish-able open water?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 06, 2013, 08:50 PM »
There was a fishable amount of open water by the aerator two weeks ago and ice should still be good I would think. :tipup:

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 06, 2013, 10:53 PM »
The info is much appreciated! Nothing looks good near me, gotta travel a bit.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Mar 08, 2013, 01:41 AM »
Caught and released a dozen today, ice was 8" or so on the east side.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.