The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Lead Sinker Update  (Read 1876 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Lead Sinker Update
« on: Sep 05, 2017, 11:55 AM »
 Use of Lead Fishing Tackle on Inland Waters
Understanding the law
Fishing lead free is better for our lakes and our wildlife. Ingested lead fishing tackle is the leading cause of death for adult Common Loons of which there are around 4,500 adults across the state. Keeping lead sinkers out of Maine waters will increase the survival of these birds and will allow for continued population growth of this species across the northeast.
Lead Sinkers
The sale and use of lead sinkers not meeting the length (2.5 inches) and/or weight (1 ounce) requirements is prohibited. If a lead sinker is over 2.5 inches in length or it weighs over 1 ounce or both it is legal to use and sell or offer for sale.
If a sinker contains ANY amount of lead, it will be considered illegal if it doesn’t meet the length and weight requirements.
The Department will interpret the definition of lead sinker to include any tackle that is permanently manufactured to the lead itself. When measuring for a minimum of 2.5 inches, the manufactured tackle will be included in the measurement. This will not include any additional items that have been added to the original manufacturing device.
Please read the manufacturer’s label carefully to determine the weight of the lead sinker. If the lead is manufactured as part of other fishing tackle, the entire piece of equipment needs to be more than 1 ounce in weight. The definition of a lead sinker DOES NOT include artificial lures, weighted line, weighted flies or jig heads.
Bare Lead Jigs
As of September 2016 the sale of bare lead jigs not meeting the length (2.5 inches) and/or weight (1 ounce) requirements is prohibited.
NOTE: Effective September 2017, the use of bare lead jigs not meeting the length (2.5 inches) and/or weight (1 ounce) requirements will be prohibited.
For more information, please visit https://fishleadfree.org/
   mefishwildlife.com
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lead Sinker Update
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2017, 09:46 AM »
Well I had a response all type out but got logged out? ::)

Minnesota has been getting closer and closer to something like this but never goes through legislature.  I work in the Natural resources field and know the negatives of lead and harm to the environment, but also see the other side of banning lead; the alternatives are expensive and aren't as affordable to some people.  We need more people getting outdoors and enjoying different activities including, fishing. I'd hate to see someone not be able to try out/get into fishing due to basic lure costs... rapala's are already expensive enough  ;D

As someone who is directly impacted by this law, what are your thoughts/ what kind of feedback do you hear from others around the state?

Offline gola yona

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2017, 10:53 AM »
This is huge! A good step in the right direction. But a lot of people won't want the change I'm afraid.
Tight lines

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2017, 04:52 PM »
Have had the same split shot on my tip-ups for a good 25 years! I sure will miss ‘em.

Thinking I’ll powder paint the new stuff black. Yes?
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2017, 05:43 PM »
Use of Lead Fishing Tackle on Inland Waters
Understanding the law
Fishing lead free is better for our lakes and our wildlife. Ingested lead fishing tackle is the leading cause of death for adult Common Loons of which there are around 4,500 adults across the state. Keeping lead sinkers out of Maine waters will increase the survival of these birds and will allow for continued population growth of this species across the northeast.
Lead Sinkers
The sale and use of lead sinkers not meeting the length (2.5 inches) and/or weight (1 ounce) requirements is prohibited. If a lead sinker is over 2.5 inches in length or it weighs over 1 ounce or both it is legal to use and sell or offer for sale.
If a sinker contains ANY amount of lead, it will be considered illegal if it doesn’t meet the length and weight requirements.
The Department will interpret the definition of lead sinker to include any tackle that is permanently manufactured to the lead itself. When measuring for a minimum of 2.5 inches, the manufactured tackle will be included in the measurement. This will not include any additional items that have been added to the original manufacturing device.
Please read the manufacturer’s label carefully to determine the weight of the lead sinker. If the lead is manufactured as part of other fishing tackle, the entire piece of equipment needs to be more than 1 ounce in weight. The definition of a lead sinker DOES NOT include artificial lures, weighted line, weighted flies or jig heads.
Bare Lead Jigs
As of September 2016 the sale of bare lead jigs not meeting the length (2.5 inches) and/or weight (1 ounce) requirements is prohibited.
NOTE: Effective September 2017, the use of bare lead jigs not meeting the length (2.5 inches) and/or weight (1 ounce) requirements will be prohibited.
For more information, please visit https://fishleadfree.org/
   mefishwildlife.com

That line in red, what in the world does that mean?

Doesn't seem like a very far reaching reg. It basically covers smaller sinker and unpainted lead jigs. The way this reads you can still have a bucket full of tiny lead heads as long as they're painted. Heck, I clear coat some of mine because I like the "lead look" and it keeps 'em from oxidizing.

Believe me, I get the why and I'm fine with rolling with it. Legal wording can often be extremely goofy. Any attorneys or legislators out there care to translate some of this?
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline gola yona

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2017, 05:55 PM »

Doesn't seem like a very far reaching reg. It basically covers smaller sinker and unpainted lead jigs. The way this reads you can still have a bucket full of tiny lead heads as long as they're painted. Heck, I clear coat some of mine because I like the "lead look" and it keeps 'em from oxidizing.

Believe me, I get the why and I'm fine with rolling with it. Legal wording can often be extremely goofy. Any attorneys or legislators out there care to translate some of this?

Esox you should read our Fishing Law Book it reads about the same. Almost like they're saying "Gee I hope no one misinterprets any rules and gets fined for a law they misunderstood... "  *wink wink*
Tight lines

Offline Kevin in maine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2017, 01:53 PM »
Hasn't this been in effect for a few years now?

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2017, 05:09 PM »
Hasn't this been in effect for a few years now?

This year it comes into full effect.

Offline Bearseatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2017, 08:31 AM »
When in doubt before I buy a iffy item I call F&G and have them pull it up online to get the green lite. Just make sure you get their name, date and time you called as a CYA measure.
In winter we become gods and walk on water....

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2017, 12:24 PM »

It means that if there is something say like an eyelet molded into the lead than it will count towards the weight and length, but you can not twist a piece of wire to the sinker and call it 2-1/2".

-Dylan
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.