The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Fishing near Butte  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Sather19

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Fishing near Butte
« on: Dec 05, 2013, 09:29 PM »
Hey all,

Just moved to butte this year for school at Tech. Looking to do some ice fishing. Any suggestions for lakes to try around the area within a couple hours? Any kind of fish, preferably higher numbers of fish, size doesn't really matter because I am showing some new fishermen ice fishing. Pretty much the only lakes I know of are Delmoe, Georgetown and Clark Canyon as I have fished only rivers since I moved here.

Thanks!

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Fishing near Butte
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:03 PM »
Georgetown is hot right now and should be for another month. Delmoe is ok. Really had its on and off days. Lots of little lakes in the area too.

Offline Sather19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:32 PM »
What area of the lake would I go to on Georgetown, or does it matter?

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2013, 12:56 AM »
What area of the lake would I go to on Georgetown, or does it matter?
I don't fish G'Town a lot, but there's a few areas definitely worth trying. Comer's, RedBridge, Pumphouse, Stuart Mill Bay, & Denton's. I'm sure any of these would produce some action for you whether it be salmon, rainbows, or brookies.

Since your in Butte, Delmoe Lake is usually pretty decent fishing. I made a few trips up there last hardwater season and caught some nice cutthroats in the 14 - 18 inch range. The trips up there for me were definitely worth it and I'll be making a few more up there this season.

If you want to venture a little farther past G'Town, you can always give East Fork Reservoir a shot. Can be pretty slow fishing up there, but if you happen to ice a few they're usually real nice cutthroat or bulltrout. This is where I do most of my hardwater fishing. Call me crazy, but for some reason I just love fishing up there.

Check out last seasons posts for these areas, gather your gear, and hit the road. Best of luck to ya & keep us posted. - SpitzoMT

Offline Sather19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2013, 06:30 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys! looking forward to ice fishing Montana for the first time

Offline pump

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2013, 11:03 PM »
I took the kayak up to Delmo last Sept. Lots of mud and less than a 5' wide stream in the center. I don't have much hope for it this year.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2013, 06:34 AM »
I took the kayak up to Delmo last Sept. Lots of mud and less than a 5' wide stream in the center. I don't have much hope for it this year.
According to the posts in the other section, Delmoe is fishing pretty good right now. I'll be heading up there sometime within the next week & will post a report.

Offline Sather19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2013, 10:52 AM »
caught a couple nice ones at delmoe yesterday afternoon/evening

Offline The Rezerend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2013, 11:15 AM »
I'm going to try and wiggle in a quick trip to Delmoe this weekend some morning. Can't be out all day due to the inlaws in town but will let you know if you want to join or meet up.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day working.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2013, 11:47 PM »
caught a couple nice ones at delmoe yesterday afternoon/evening
Just curious..........How are the road conditions on the way in?? Is there much snow up there yet??

Offline Sather19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2013, 07:46 PM »
road was decent, looked like a few people had been up before us in the newer snow. maybe five inches on the edge of the road at the top when we went up.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2013, 12:45 AM »
road was decent, looked like a few people had been up before us in the newer snow. maybe five inches on the edge of the road at the top when we went up.
Sounds good......Thanks for the update.....A trip up there(probably Monday or Tuesday) is on my "want to do list" for next week, so hopefully it works out for me.....Let me know if any of you are headed that way next week and maybe I can make a trip.....Take care...............

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.