The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Gallatin/Madison Walleyes Unlimited Upcoming Events  (Read 1746 times)

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
   A couple things coming up here in the near future. The First would be the stringing of the Christmas trees at Canyon Ferry on the 16th of February. Each year WU and FWP team up to place christmas trees in CF for spawning habitat.  We drill holes in the trees and run cable through them then put blocks on them. I would encourage any of you that fish there to come help out. It isn't to difficult just takes a little man power.  Another great way to me fellow fishermen and help the resource that we enjoy so much.
   Next our annual banquet is coming up on the 9th of March. Tickets are 30 each and includes a great walleye dinner and fun evening. We have a limited number of tickets for sale and they will sell out if you are interested in going PM me and I can get you hooked up. Fun night for a good cause.

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gallatin/Madison Walleyes Unlimited Upcoming Events
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:45 PM »
Saturday Morning 8 ish. Christmas trees are drilled(thats the rumor) now just a little man power to string cable and tie blocks on. Hope to see some of you there Saturday.
Also anyone thinking about going to the banquet, better get there tickets, we are getting close to sold out and once they're gone thats it.

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:52 PM »
Saturday Morning 8 ish. Christmas trees are drilled(thats the rumor) now just a little man power to string cable and tie blocks on. Hope to see some of you there Saturday.
Also anyone thinking about going to the banquet, better get there tickets, we are getting close to sold out and once they're gone thats it.

So 1 of my buddies friends went out n did this a few years back n said they put the Christmas trees in the north end of the lake is this true? If so y their? If all the perch r in the south end of the lake. I know its not just for perch.
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2013, 11:16 PM »
Helena Air National gaurd will bring a chopper out after the ice is off and drop the trees. They all go on the south end. They use to run them out on the ice but had problems with ice breaking up in the spring and trees floating other places(duck creek is where some of them ended up one year. My Aqua Vu has seen them ;) but no trees have ever been put on the north end that I am aware of. As far as I know they have always been place in a few different spots on the south end.

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2013, 11:47 PM »
Right on thanks. my buddies friend musta been talking out his u know what. Its a good thing u guys r doing keep up the good work.
Luv2strip

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2013, 11:43 AM »
They use cables to tie the trees together and not rope? I guess it is the bottom of a reservoir, but I've been involved in cleaning up enough well intentioned habitat programs to know not to leave a bunch of trash around.

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2013, 03:36 PM »
Rob sorry you feel that way. But the trees are working and putting a couple hundred trees on a rope to hook to a chopper just wouldn't work.  Anyhow headed out this afternoon and hope to see a few of ya tomorrow morning. If not good luck on the ice.

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2013, 09:20 PM »
Rob sorry you feel that way. But the trees are working and putting a couple hundred trees on a rope to hook to a chopper just wouldn't work.  Anyhow headed out this afternoon and hope to see a few of ya tomorrow morning. If not good luck on the ice.
It is not so much how I feel as deja vu. After 30 years of doing this the cables will be all over the place and will last for the next few hundred years. I don't know how deep they are put, but the reservoir could drop in the future or even go away.

You could create smaller roped bunches with each bunch tied to a common lifting point. This would be worth looking into... Oh well, hopefully it won't be much a deal.

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2013, 07:22 AM »
It is not so much how I feel as deja vu. After 30 years of doing this the cables will be all over the place and will last for the next few hundred years. I don't know how deep they are put, but the reservoir could drop in the future or even go away.

I sure hope CF doesn't drop or go away if so we'd all be in trouble if that ever happened. that would mean Missouri river would be gone as well. that would be not a good day.
Luv2strip

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.