The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Georgetown Slowdown?  (Read 854 times)

Offline Hard Water Lover

• IceShanty Rookie
Georgetown Slowdown?
« on: Mar 03, 2011, 07:31 PM »
I am planning on bringing up some buddies form Idaho who have never ice-fished before on my spring break in Mid-March.  I've never fished G-town that late in the year.  Is it worth my time or will the fishing have slowed down?  Thanks for the info.

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
Re: Georgetown Slowdown?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2011, 09:15 PM »
The koke's bite lighter but you can still sight fish them and the rainbows put on the feed bag before the spawn.  I can catch fish any day of the year up there it seams.  There is always a hungry or curious fish some where.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline natedogg18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2011, 11:19 PM »
Just my opinion. If your buddies havent gone before, Georgetown might not be a great first experience because it can get slow at times.  Take them where there are some perch.  If fishing is slow, usually you can still get perch most times. Lake Mary Ronan or Noxon.

Offline solostone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2011, 11:48 AM »
I'm planning to meet some buddies on Georgetown tomorrow as its kind of in the middle of where we all live.  Problem is we've never had a lot of luck on Georgetown.  Anybody have suggestions for where on the lake we should try tomorrow?

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2011, 11:50 AM »
it depends what kind of spring break..you have in mind.....going to the flathead...fishing lmr/etc...and if you got it budgeted,,a ski excursion at lakeside or whitefish followed by a little kalispell/whitefish nitelife could be fun!!!!!! georgetown has been slower than normal for the salmon..stinking at times...but  in the least you should always be able to locate a few trout.....have fun...

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2011, 12:01 PM »
I'm planning to meet some buddies on Georgetown tomorrow as its kind of in the middle of where we all live.  Problem is we've never had a lot of luck on Georgetown.  Anybody have suggestions for where on the lake we should try tomorrow?
are you going to be in a hut????? a hut is crucial when the salmon are being picky..and really helps to see the trout as well....denton and comers bay have been producing some lame to average numbers of salmon....but you need to get out there at first light and it usually quits before noon....the trout come and go all day...going out in the bay slightly south of 7 gables should get you some trout in 15 to 20 fow..remember you can keep 2 brookies now.....also there is a good chance fish and game will be checking licenses during the first weekend of the season....so your idaho buddies should have their licenses...i beleive the fines are in the neighborhood of $150 plus $75 per fish...good luck...

Offline solostone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2011, 12:45 PM »
Thanks for the info.  We will have a hut and will give those places a try.  Have gotten a few trout out there, but not much luck on the salmon.  Is there a certain depth or bait that works best for salmon? 

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2011, 02:17 PM »
Salmon are usually right under the ice.  In the 4-8 foot under the ice range in 12-20 FOW. 

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.