The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: swan lake  (Read 4039 times)

Offline fishonice

• IceShanty Rookie
swan lake
« on: Jan 05, 2010, 11:54 AM »
does anyone have any info on swan? going to try and fish it this weekend. never been there and unsure where to access it for best fishing.

TIGHT LINES

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
Re: swan lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:15 AM »
I'm curious if the entire lake is even frozen over yet...  When I went by there about 2 weeks ago, there wasn't even any ice on the large southern end of the lake and the weather hasn't been real cold since then...be careful and let us know what you see...

Good Fishing :tipup:

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:22 AM »
Last week there was enough ice to walk on. Not sure about the south end. If you go, make sure and post a report. Either the fishing is really good and people are just tight lipped online or nobody fishes this lake.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:27 AM »
Fished the end near the bird sanctuary and did ok for bull trout, pike and perch. Tip ups for pike and swedish pimples, green for perch. Fished in 20' FOW down to 10'. Drilled tons of holes to find ones that would produce.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:55 AM »
Da-Jigger, that is the south end of the lake...

How thick was the ice and how far out did you go???

I have fished Swan a couple times, and caught Pike both times, also perch, Lakers, Bull trout, and Kokanee...  Very underutilized fishery in the winter...

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2010, 10:05 AM »
I grew up on the lake and miss it a lot. The lake has changed so much with the pike and lake trout that I no longer know where to fish. Or at least that's my story (all my usual access points are private anyway).

RE access: The south end has a campground for public fishing access. The grassy area to the south (long walk) is where most people fish for pike in the summer. You also might be able to get there from the bird sanctuary road south of the lake?? Or maybe the "Swan Dive" bar in Swan Lake. (Maybe Da-Jigger will let us know). The Terrace Restaurant about mid-lake probably also has access. (I don't hot spot, but there is no sense in people wasting time trying to find access points that aren't there... it is mostly private).

You can also pull over in at least two spots along the highway. The southernmost pull-off is where the lake trout supposedly spawn, but I don't know if they hang out there in the winter. If you find where the lakers are please let me know. I'd also like to know how the ice is; maybe I'll head up to my dad's place with the kids.

rg

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2010, 10:11 AM »
When I go I put on at the boat launch and 4 wheeler to location. People also just walk from boat launch to the right and set out tip ups, if it's pike your fishing for.  ???
Live Free Or Die.

Offline fishonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2010, 10:43 AM »
how long a walk is it from the boat launch to over in front of the inlet?

TIGHT LINES

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2010, 11:39 AM »
how long a walk is it from the boat launch to over in front of the inlet?
Inlet??  Where the crick runs in or do you mean where the river runs in...the river is straight across the lake on the other side.  Boat launch is on the east side and river comes in on the west side.  Probably over a mile straight line...

Offline fishonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:10 PM »
Inlet??  Where the crick runs in or do you mean where the river runs in...the river is straight across the lake on the other side.  Boat launch is on the east side and river comes in on the west side.  Probably over a mile straight line...

more curious about that creek that comes in to the south of the launch. from satellite photos and contour maps it looks like that whole south bay might be good pike territory??
Anyone know how to go about trying to catch some of those bull trout, i've never caught one.   

TIGHT LINES

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:24 PM »
I caught em on smelt and tip up, got a nice one on swan, over 12lbs. The area you are talking about is the same area I was trying to guide you to. Creek comes in just east of refuge? How big were vanns smelt? Over 10'' would be what I'm looking for, Thank You.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline fishonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2010, 11:26 PM »
they have some packages with the biggest smelt i have ever seen. i grabbed a package of 8-10" with a couple smaller. there was a package that had quite a few 10"+ fish in 'em.
i was pretty sure that was where you were talking about. how was the ice there?

TIGHT LINES

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:58 AM »
Anyone know how to go about trying to catch some of those bull trout, i've never caught one.   
Bull trout are picivorous. I used to use a jigging spoon with a small belly strip of fresh peamouth on the end but never got anything close to 12 pounds! I bet a jiggin rapala would work very well too. Now you guys got me wanting to go up there.

rg

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2010, 09:09 AM »
Wondering if you would be willing to bring some of those packs of smelt over to Helena on your way through? I would take 4 packs of the largest they have if you'd be willing.

Thank you and good luck
Live Free Or Die.

Offline mtjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2010, 12:00 PM »
Hey Da-Jigger, have you tried ocean beauty here in Helena. They have had some pretty big smelt in there in the past.
MT

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2010, 11:29 PM »
Hey what is the ice like out there??  Im thinking  of taking the kids fishing there on Saturday and want to know the ice depths and how the fishing is going...I'll probably try some pike and some Kokanee fishing...

thanks!

Offline fishonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2010, 10:33 AM »
When i was up there ice wasn't that great as the main lake was still freezing and creating some nasty pressure ridges. fishing was extremely slow and we couldn't make it to the south end. we went south of the access and 3/4 the way to the south end and ice was about 4"-5" with some soft spots that were easy to see. Hopefully the ice is much better. water clarity was not very good either.

TIGHT LINES

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2010, 11:02 AM »
That doesn't sound good or promising with this warm streek we are having... 

I'll probably stick closer to home then....

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2010, 11:14 AM »
Fished there last Saturday and ice was in excellent shape. Walked straight to the south end from the boat ramp. 5-7" ice the whole way. Fishing was very slow. Guys in the front of the boat ramp were catching a few small Bulls. We drilled a lot of holes in the south end and I marked 3 fish. Caught I huge perch and that was it.

Offline Rghnrdy_mt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2010, 12:06 PM »
Hit Swan on Monday, 10" of ice with some open areas on west side of lake. Fished shallow trying for pike, could only catch bull trout. One 26", the rest small. Anybody been having luck on the pike? We made swiss cheese out of the south end and couldn't even mark a fish on the flasher.

Offline Rghnrdy_mt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2010, 12:38 AM »
Was told today that the FWP gill netted over the summer trying to remove some lakers but ended up taking a ton of pike out as well. Any info on how the pike fishing is this year compared to past years?

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:31 AM »
this year I fished for pike 4 times during open water and never even saw one, let alone got one in the boat...  I've never had a hard time catching them in there before...

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:33 AM »
Anyone know where the lakers hang out? (summer or winter.)

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2010, 12:49 PM »
FWP was concentrating thier netting this summer/fall on the east side of lake where highway pullouts are just before you reach the gas station.  Due east from where the river comes in.  That is where they are spawning.  There was not much mention in the gill netting reports about pike in the nets...

We fished there several times this summer.  We caught bulls, lakers and salmon 60' down over 100-120 feet of water every time out.  Did not target the pike so can't help you there.  There are monster perch in there, but a lot like Ashley lake, you can fish for days without catching one, but when you do...
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2010, 03:23 PM »
ZooAngler,

Forget Swan tomorrow and join us at Lake Mary Ronan Lodge and Resort for the Fun Fest!!!  $10 and a food item for adults, $2 kids, and we are paying the top three perch by weight, the biggest kokanee by weight and also doing a poker "run".  Earn cards by taking a shot at the ice golf, ice horseshoes, ice shuffleboard and a football toss.  Also get a card for any perch under 5" or over 11".  We are hoping a couple hundred people show up and its a way better idea than going to Swan!!!

If you are still wanting to go to Swan, think big baits for the perch.  No secrets here, standard fare for Kokanee (trend towards orange) and glow baits for the perch (chartreuse)

Good luck, and if you come to Lake Mary, I will be the guy checking the fish in
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2010, 11:24 PM »
I heard last week they were catching 3.5 to 5lb. kokanee here at 105 feet.Has anybody had a chance to check this out? I can't go this weekend but am thinking about the next weekend.
The worse day fishing is still better than the best day working!

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2010, 07:01 PM »
I was still thinking about trying for the salmon in the deep water next Saturday and was wondering if anybody has had a chance to do so and how it was. Also hows the ice?

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 21, 2010, 05:29 PM »
Went to Swan on Saturday and fished where they said it was good. Fished in 125 fow and marked some at 90 and 105 feet and got our only bite just off the bottom. Pretty slow.There was 11 inches of good hard ice. Didn't see anybody around us catch any fish either. Talked to a guy who said it was good last week.

Offline justintee15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 21, 2010, 11:49 PM »
Hows the pike fishing been as of late in swan? Bulls?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.