New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Canada lake Ny. lake white fish?  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Ohspit

• IceShanty Rookie
Canada lake Ny. lake white fish?
« on: Nov 25, 2022, 08:50 PM »
I had a good year on this lake 2021-2022 but I just happened to look on the dec website and it lists lake white fish as a species. Does any one have any experience here catching them?

I would love to target them.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
Re: Canada lake Ny. lake white fish?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2022, 06:48 AM »
I have always wanted to catch a whitefish also, but I don't know if I have ever fished in a lake that has them. Lake Piseco and Pleasant, near Speculator have them also. I think each lake has its own regulations about keeping them. I believe they can be caught in the same depths and locations as lake trout as they are cold water fish, but I have no idea what size minnow they would go after, or what kind of lure or jigging technique to use.

In Michigan, they still have a commercial fishery for whitefish, and eating them is a religion there and you almost can't find a restaurant that does not serve it. I have eaten fried whitefish out there a couple of times - it is a mild, flaky white meat and nothing remarkable about the flavor at all. I would never trade my perch or crappie fillets for it, maybe not even my best pike fillets. It still would be an interesting catch for sure and a serviceable fish fry if you are allowed to keep them from the lake you are on.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Ohspit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2022, 02:26 PM »
I honestly want to just know if anyone has caught any out of any lakes near me.

As for what to use I believe they are a bottom feeder with a small mouth, so a small spoon with a chunk of sucker or minnow is what I'll try. Was told to bash the bottom and create a cloud to get them fired up.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2022, 02:56 PM »
I won't say they are not there , but I have fished both lakes for many years and have never seen one. you may want to focus on Otsego Lake near Cooperstown. I understand there is a die-hard bunch who spend a lot of time on that water in search of whitefish.   Can't tell you much about how to target them as I never have.   Good luck guys  !

Offline Ohspit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2022, 08:03 PM »
Well, I appreciate it guys. I wanted to do some traveling to new lakes this year anyhow! Good luck gentlemen.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2022, 09:05 AM »
Ive only caught them on champlain.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2022, 05:08 PM »
Based on the replies here and most people's experiences in NY at least, it seems that whitefish are not targeted and are an incidental catch out of trout waters. I have never heard anyone say they are going to get whitefish. If you are expecting to catch one in NY you might have a lifetime of disappointment by the sound of things. Best left as a surprise catch while trout fishing
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2022, 07:16 PM »
My buddy caught a small one at Chaumont.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2022, 07:54 AM »
Skaneateles Lake .....

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2022, 11:32 AM »
Did well on them years ago on a trip up to Lake Nipissing Ontario Canada.  Was fishing for perch and waldos but put a bunch of nice whitefish on the ice.  Water depth was just shy of 20 ft and i was using a small rocker jig with a buckeye (emerald shiner) head on it.

If you read up on them in the fish species section here the Canooks seem to like using pickerel eggs as bait for them up there.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2022, 07:17 AM »
Based on the replies here and most people's experiences in NY at least, it seems that whitefish are not targeted and are an incidental catch out of trout waters. I have never heard anyone say they are going to get whitefish. If you are expecting to catch one in NY you might have a lifetime of disappointment by the sound of things. Best left as a surprise catch while trout fishing

I catch them every year.  Open water and ice.  It can be done and relatively regularly but like everything else you have to kniw where.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.