New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Saratoga County Update...  (Read 4091 times)

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
Saratoga County Update...
« on: Nov 21, 2022, 09:24 PM »
Well, it has remained unseasonably cold for the last 10 days or so. The really small ponds and backwater areas have a skim coat on them, but nothing that could support weight. I don't see any reprieve over the next 10 days, so I'd say the ice season has officially begun! Another telltale sign is West Mountain was blowing snow over the weekend, they are gearing up for another ski season. I don't have my ice gear out of storage yet, but that will definitely occur this weekend. I'd think we may make it out by Christmas this year if the weather holds. I'm sure the North Country is a bit ahead of us in that respect, they may be out even earlier! Have a safe year on the hard water everyone! Stay on top and tight lines!
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
Re: Saratoga County Update...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2022, 06:12 AM »
The earliest that I ever got on the ice to fish was on this date, November 22 a few years ago on Lake Durant. 2012 was another year that had safe ice on several small lakes in late November. I think the Durant faithful would tell you that they have been on the ice there in the first half of November in specific years.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline TheWasp74

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2022, 11:18 AM »
I had the same optimism, but after this weekend warmer weather and all that rain last night Mother Nature quickly dashed all my hopes. Even before the rain the back water and ponds in southern Saratoga county all the ice was gone. I hope that isn’t the case now in  northern Saratoga.

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2022, 07:17 AM »
No love in Saratoga yet. Small ponds are locked up but Saratoga Lake, Glen Lake, Lake Lonely still had open water. Still some time to wait. I'm ready, let's go!

Offline Lorenw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2022, 12:59 PM »
I was on Lake Lonely yeaterday. 6-8 inches of hard ice on the north end. 5 huts out and a few guys w/o. Usual dinks all over but nice to scratch the itch

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2023, 09:40 PM »
Drove around the lake after dinner. It's not locked yet. We saw open water on the south end as well as out in front of 550 Waterfront. Damn, this sure is taking a long time!

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2023, 03:10 AM »
I'm sure the DU Tournament will have to be pushed back. I hope they don't cancel

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2023, 06:53 AM »
Access no more at Fitch due to bubbler?

Offline Petercos22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2023, 07:06 AM »
Drove around the lake yesterday and the majority was open water. It does look like the bubbler off Fitch road will make getting on there impossible.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2023, 09:51 AM »
I'm not so sure about this... I don't claim to be an authority on environmental issues, but doesn't it seem that that these bubblers could be some type of violation? Are these people required to get permits?   The danger alone that they pose for others should be enough to bring up some meaningful discussion.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2023, 11:17 AM »
I'm not so sure about this... I don't claim to be an authority on environmental issues, but doesn't it seem that that these bubblers could be some type of violation? Are these people required to get permits?   The danger alone that they pose for others should be enough to bring up some meaningful discussion.

To my knowledge there isn't much legally on the books that can prevent them at the moment. It's absolutely a danger though. There is an asshole next to Vets on LG that runs a bubbler right next to the access, doesnt even have a dock. What a miserable human being that person must be to intentionally run a bubbler just to ruin outdoor recreation for others.

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2023, 11:30 AM »
Agree with Adironzach, not much legally that can be done. While most shoreline owners say they’re doing it to protect docks from ice damage, the reality is that many of them are sick & tired of cleaning up trash left by others. Or, as he also mentioned, they’re just doing it out of spite.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2023, 08:57 PM »
Drove around the lake yesterday and the majority was open water. It does look like the bubbler off Fitch road will make getting on there impossible.
I know I saw this the other day too and I was like **censored**!!! I use to go to that spot all the time and no if does ice over its going to be real sketchy. Is there any other places in that vicinity we could walk on without getting in trouble?
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline chessieman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2023, 04:14 PM »
I met the owner of the house on the corner of Fitch last year, he was ripping mad about a car that was parked on his property (the shore front), he wanted to know if it was mine or someone I know - he threatened to have it towed - there was a No Trespassing sign that got run over - we are our own worse enemy - this is particularly bothersome to me as I have a bad leg an use the ramp to put in and haul out my sled - then park up the road - as usual, a few lazy, selfish people have ruined it for everyone - when will we learn? 

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2023, 05:51 PM »
I checked the Saratoga Lake camera this morning and saw people running around out there. Finally! Local ice season starting in February suuuucks!

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2023, 09:26 AM »
how thick is the ice in Saratoga?

Offline chessieman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2023, 07:57 AM »
There was about 5" off Fitch yesterday - and getting thinner - DO NOT access via the ramp - the bubbler on the dock to the south has made for thin ice there go west up the shore a bit

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2023, 07:45 AM »
Chessie....so are you saying walk up shoreline a ways at Fitch to access the lake. Isn’t that trespassing on someone’s private property?

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2023, 07:52 AM »
There’s ample parking at Waterfront Park. I’ve never fished off Fitch so I can’t say how close that park is to where people drill holes when they park on Fitch

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2023, 04:06 PM »
Where are they getting the power to run this bubbler at Fitch Rd. All the houses are on the other side of the road? :o

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 19, 2023, 06:18 PM »
Conditions are pretty bad in this area. What a disaster of an ice fishing year so far. Unreal. I sure hope the cooler temps this week get us in the game.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2023, 02:23 PM »
Toga is shot   The 5" that were there is now rotten, lots of open water, shorelines  gone    That bubbler is going to be trouble from now on at Fitch
  Does anybody know what conditions are on Cossayuna   I've never been there   Figure it might make a good scouting mission for the future

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2023, 03:51 PM »
Haven’t fished Coss in years. I did hear the other day though that the small bait shop up there moved so bring your bait with you if you decide to explore

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2023, 02:33 PM »
Curious about this one :   I see that the Quaker Springs Fire Dept had to cancel their tournament like others due to the poor ice conditions. It was to be held on the Cove on the Hudson
  Question.   How do you hold an ice fishing tournament on a "catch and release" only body of water. Seems like the local Encon officer would have been all over that one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.