The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: .. Basic Auger Maintenance ..  (Read 90913 times)

Offline JungleJohn

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: .. Basic Auger Maintenance ..
« Reply #30 on: Dec 02, 2010, 06:37 PM »
Super great advice here to keep the auger in tip top shape. One thing I would like to add  is if your gas cap is "vented" keep an eye on the little washer, (gasket?) attached to the vent screw. I pulled my sled out about a mile to "get away from everyone else" and by the time I got my wind back from dragging the sled I noticed a gassy smell. My little rubber gasket called it quits and leaked all the gas out on the inside of the sled as well as my coat that I had tossed on the floor of it. Fortunately I had most of my gear in a 5 gallon bucket or it would have been coated with gas also. VERY glad I quit smoking about 15 years ago or folks might have reported a fireball out on the ice. :o

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #31 on: Dec 16, 2010, 02:51 PM »
does anyone know which jiffy models spin clockwise i have a bit for one and would like to find a power head the bit was given to me a year or so ago but my model 30 spins counter clockwise thanx in advance for info

Jiffy Lite model 50/T. This is what I have
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline berg285

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 21, 2010, 10:04 PM »
There was a discussion on another forum about auger gearbox lubrication. The author said he contacted Jiffy, and was told that very little grease was put in the gearbox when it was made, and it should be ran dry. Just for kicks I looked in my 30 yo jiffy model 30 that hasn't ever failed me, and there is no grease in it. Any thoughts on this. Thanks.

I have a model 77 2hp legend xt. It has 2 full season on it now.. i was prepping it for this winter a few weeks back checking everything over i pulled the gear cover off to inspect the bearings and clutch assembly everything looked good no real wear of any sort on the clutch drum or side play in any bearings.. There was grease on the gears not very much. I did regrease the gears with some " low temp" snowmoblie grease the kind you use on the chassis... I have well over 600 hundred holes with it never missed a beat. I just wanted to inspect everything in the gear case for good measure i dont want to have any issues on the ice i hope this helps  :tipup:

Offline Hunter25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 31, 2010, 06:11 AM »
I have a strikemaster magnum 2000 that will not start. Last season the pull cord broke 3 time on it. The last day of the season it broke again so when I fixed it, it was about 8 inches shorter. No problem starting it then. this season it will not start at all. all new gas and plug but nothing. I am wondering if it may be the length of the cord. What do you think?

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 31, 2010, 06:21 AM »
If your getting at least two complete turns of the motor it isn't the cord.
I'm betting your carb is gummed and not getting fuel to the cylinder.

Offline Hunter25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 31, 2010, 06:33 AM »
That makes sense. any suggestions?

Offline caught_the_fever

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 31, 2010, 09:49 AM »
LoneWolf - thanks for taking the time to post, some very good information in there for those of us with limited exposure to this equipment.

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 31, 2010, 09:54 AM »
That makes sense. any suggestions?

None except a cleaning. Pain in the butt I know. Just make sure you pay attention to how it came apart.
Clean all orifices and chambers. Make sure any screens are clean.
From what I'm hearing Seafoam will clean it pretty well.
Also pull the tank, and drain. Start over with fresh gas.

Offline Hunter25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 31, 2010, 10:07 AM »
I'll give it a go.... Thanks for the help. Let you know how I make out.

Offline Jiggin in Michigan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hello...Is anyone down there?
« Reply #39 on: Dec 31, 2010, 10:24 AM »
Good info.  When playing with the idle will it make a difference if you do the adjusting when its warm out, (summer/early fall) or wait till it's cold outside?

Also, On my Jiffy STX since it was new 2 years ago, she tends to slip when she drills her first few holes.  normal?

Offline Hunter25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 03, 2011, 06:07 AM »
Thanks everyone. Strikemaster fired up friday afternoon on second pull after i tried a few of your suggestions. not sure if it was the filters or the Seafoam I added. Knock on wood, she is purring like a kitten!

Offline WOWnICEFISHman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 05, 2011, 11:03 PM »
How long is an unopened bottle of Stabil fuel stabilizer good for I have one that may beclose to 3 years old. Still good?

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 16, 2011, 04:24 AM »
How long is an unopened bottle of Stabil fuel stabilizer good for I have one that may beclose to 3 years old. Still good?
You should buy new stabilizer and get the green stuff with ethanol treatment,the old stuff maybe fine but doesn't have ethanol treatment,you NEED the ethanol treatment stabilizer or you will have major problems down the road !

Offline njangler121

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 23, 2011, 11:21 AM »
all this info for 2 stroke owners.what about some of us 4 stroke  owners
never had a gas auger before .all Ive done was put stabil  in the gas.should
i dump all the case and oil in the crank thanks for any info

Offline ZPalm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:14 PM »
I have a Jiffy, with an 8” drill which hasn’t seen a whole lot of time on the ice.  Lack of both time and experience resulted in my auger not getting the proper attention it deserves.  I did pull it out this year (after two years on the shelf), filled the tank and it fired right up.  That said, I can’t wait to put the knowledge found in this post to good use to ensure many more years of reliable service.

Offline archer71xx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 03, 2011, 05:41 PM »
I just want to thank lonewolf for the great advice. My brother gave me an old jiffy 76 and I could not get it running.I bought a bottle of sea foam - new plug - fresh gas and oil and played with it today. I got it to fire up but it wouldn't stay running without the choke half on, so I kept making small adjustments to the carb and about five minutes of running something let loose. I now have it running like new or maybe better with the choke off. The only question I still have is when I picked the auger up at his place there was a small puddle of red oil of some sort on the floor. I am guessing it is from the gear box, what kind of oil does it take and is it fairly easy to fill? Once again thank you very much

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #46 on: Mar 04, 2011, 10:43 AM »
Archer, here is a link to the owner/parts guide. As You can see, it requires splitting the gear case, so you best have a new gasket on hand as well as the proper lubricant. Good luck with this.

Tom

http://www.jiffyonice.com/EComStore/ContentImages/Image/Jiffy70SeriesManual.pdf

Offline archer71xx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Mar 05, 2011, 09:02 AM »
Thank you very much for the link Idahogator, I kinda figured it is going to need a gasket. Hopefully it doesn't get to involved.  Thanks again

I got the part # for the gasket but it doesn't say anything about what oil to use. Does anybody know what oil to use in the gearbox? Thanks

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #48 on: Mar 05, 2011, 11:25 AM »
Be nice to call Jiffy for the truth on the gear-case lube, as some brands use grease while others use oil.

Whatever is used need to be thick enough to prevent wear and at the same time thin enough not be a drag on the engine and overly tax your horsepower, ya?

That's the main reason for putting Amsoil synthetic products ~ less wear and better performance. I find comfort in knowing the best is available for a few dollars more.

Tom

Offline archer71xx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Mar 05, 2011, 01:15 PM »
Thanks for the reply, guess I will ask them when I order the gasket. No hurry as our ice is gone but it is running like a top(1 pull to start and idles without the choke), can't wait till next year to try it out.Thanks again

Offline war eagle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Mar 06, 2011, 09:52 AM »
 Thanks for all the advice...followed it to a "T" and the old model 30 has never run better!

Offline Crappieb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Mar 20, 2011, 08:03 AM »
Hey Lone Wolf, Great info you are sharing with us. I noticed the last two times that I used my Eskimo that I had to keep the choke on about 1/2 way or it wouldn't idle. What do you suggest for a repair? Thanks

Offline Big Fortin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Oct 02, 2011, 03:02 PM »
Thanks for the great information

surflizard

« Reply #53 on: Oct 02, 2011, 03:06 PM »
Hey Lone Wolf, Great info you are sharing with us. I noticed the last two times that I used my Eskimo that I had to keep the choke on about 1/2 way or it wouldn't idle. What do you suggest for a repair? Thanks
sounds like a Ethanol snot build up in the inlet jet, sticking and not letting enough gas in to idle.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Auger Maintenance
« Reply #54 on: Oct 13, 2011, 12:00 PM »
I just purchased a user Jiffy 30  10in auger. Ive never owned a gas auger as I have always drliled my holes by hand.
Does anyone have a copy of a manual for one of these puppies?
Also, any maintenance I should do prior to the season kicking off?
It starts on the first pull no problem.

The blade feels sharp and looks brand new. Ill take some pics tonight and post if needed.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Oct 13, 2011, 12:39 PM »
You should buy new stabilizer and get the green stuff with ethanol treatment,the old stuff maybe fine but doesn't have ethanol treatment,you NEED the ethanol treatment stabilizer or you will have major problems down the road !

I looked at the Stabil site, and the bottles of ethanol treatment don't say anything about containing fuel stabilizer.   Any idea?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #56 on: Oct 13, 2011, 12:44 PM »

Does anyone have a copy of a manual for one of these puppies?

Jiffy has just what you need and you can print a copy.

http://www.jiffyonice.com/EComStore/pages/operatingmanuals.aspx

surflizard

« Reply #57 on: Oct 13, 2011, 12:51 PM »
Switched to Startron enzime fuel treatment a year ago and all of my engines, both Gas and Diesel run much better because of it ! cheap insurance if you ask me !

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Nov 15, 2011, 08:26 PM »
So id like to start by saying ive never used a gas auger. So please excuse my noobish question.

I have an older Jiffy 30 i just bought and have never used. I replaced the plug in it. It fires right up and seems to idle fine. When i give it max throttle it runs at the max for a few seconds and then idles back a little, and the go back to max a few seconds later. Is this normal for ice auger? I should add there is no load on the auger. Just doing some test runs to be sure its ready.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #59 on: Nov 21, 2011, 10:47 PM »
Sounds like my dads ole jiffy, not sure what to tell ya.

Thanks LW for all the tips, it sure is nice to hear from first hand experience rather than reading a set of destructions........dr ill on!

:tipup: :icefish: :tipup:
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.