Author Topic: Otter XT Hideout questions  (Read 3894 times)

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
Otter XT Hideout questions
« on: Jan 25, 2019, 06:24 PM »
If you have an Otter XT Hideout, can you get the L shaped metal dogleg to rest on the ice?  When I sit down in my shanty, it starts out about 3" off of the ice near the bracket and the end near the door comes up off the ice 2-3". I'll put the wind poles in and open them to get the door end down, but it only helps slightly.  The shanty is warm from about knee high to the roof, but near the ice, the black skirt blows and my heater blows out too often.  I've pulled the skirt inside and put my minnow bucket onto it.

I've taken the trim off of the canvas and moved the canvas up as far as it can go to loosen it.  I've also loosened the Velcro fasteners.  Sometimes when the wind blows, I have to push down on the dogleg bar with my boot.  I'm ready the put this new shanty on the curb.

Please share your experiences.  Thanks!

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Otter XT Hideout questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2019, 09:21 AM »
call otter and they will send you skirting for around the tub, I attached mine with with thin metal stripping and metal
screws.  Their plastic attaching strip that they provide just doesn't cut it

good luck

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2019, 08:00 PM »
StraightShot how old and heavily used is the Otter Hideout  if posible set it up in your garage and leave for a few days the fabric may stretch and allow the the L shaped metal dog leg to rest on the ice surface. On new shelter the fabric can be very tight causing your problem.
Steve

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2019, 11:36 PM »
Thanks, Steve.  It's new. I've been out on the ice with it three times now.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2019, 04:22 AM »
StraightShot ,I hope my suggestion fixes your problem over time.See what other tips people post in reply to your question you are not the first to have this problem.
Steve

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2019, 05:03 AM »
Hope this isn't an issue with all the hideouts.  Just ordered one.  Seems like you've done everything you can to fix the issue.
I would definitely call Otter - they should be able to help you out.  No way would I accept the idea of adding some sort of skirting to the lower bar.
The Youtube videos out there don't seem to show that issue.

Good luck with it. 

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2019, 07:27 PM »
Hope this isn't an issue with all the hideouts.  Just ordered one.  Seems like you've done everything you can to fix the issue.
I would definitely call Otter - they should be able to help you out.  No way would I accept the idea of adding some sort of skirting to the lower bar.
The Youtube videos out there don't seem to show that issue.

Good luck with it.

I'm probably just too picky.  If there's snow, piling snow up on the skirt helps immensely.  With no snow, it can be quite windy. Also, the two thin black pieces of thin fabric that they give you to attach behind your feet to the sled could be longer to block the wind on the sides and where the two pieces overlap in the very middle.  I'm going take these pieces off and replace them with a thicker, longer, one piece skirt behind my feet to block the wind when I'm sitting that will Velcro to the main canvas at both ends when it's set up.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2019, 08:32 PM »
My Hideout has been fine, sometimes when I flip it down one of the middle supports is not in it's corner of the material. Kind of hard to explain, but if my front hangs up off the ice, sometimes I need to grab that support and push it forward and it pops into place and the front drops down. I'm talking 2 inches or so. Only other time the front isn't down on the ice is if I'm on rough ice or there's a chunk under the sled keeping it from sitting flat. Not sure on if the wind bars have any effect, I haven't had to use them.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:21 PM »
Just asembled mine this AM.  Everything went weil, very well designed and quality hardware.  The front bar rests on the floor, no problem - with, or without the wind bars installed.  Be on the ice with it tomorrow.  ;D

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:59 PM »
Just asembled mine this AM.  Everything went weil, very well designed and quality hardware.  The front bar rests on the floor, no problem - with, or without the wind bars installed.  Be on the ice with it tomorrow.  ;D

If you look at the tags up near the top left from a sitting position, what is the date of manufacture for the canvas?  Even though mine is new, the date for the tent is 2017.  I was out this weekend, and the front still is off of the ground.  I could work it over and over in my living room, and I could eventually get the front to rest flat.  On the ice, no way on Sunday.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2019, 06:29 PM »
I'll check that date out.  One thing I noticed - this Otter and my Frabil Pro One Man, both insulated.  If I have them out in the wet snow/rain and the fabric gets wet, then folded and put in the truck or trailer till next trip; they freeze up some.  In that case, it's a while, with heat inside, the next time out before that front bar goes to the ground.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2019, 11:50 AM »
Tag on mine is 5/10/18.  That's noted as the delivery date, to Otter? (not manufacture).

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2019, 06:26 PM »
Thanks!

I wonder if mine was sewn a little tight and that they may have had a bad batch of tents.  I may cut an inch off of my poles and see if it works to lower the front. 

Offline gotb8t

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2019, 02:30 PM »
Thanks!

I wonder if mine was sewn a little tight and that they may have had a bad batch of tents.  I may cut an inch off of my poles and see if it works to lower the front.

make sure you have the rest of the poles installed in the correct position, may have misplaced as i believe thy are different length

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2019, 10:03 AM »
Yes the pole lengths are different.  The rear poles are 2" shorter than the front. Mine are clearly labeled with location and length.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2019, 02:34 PM »
StraightShot when you first posted about this problem i asked if you shelter was new you replied that it was a new shelter. Before cutting down any poles I would check the assembly instructions if you still have them and contact Otter the shelter may still be under some type of coverage for defects. You might be able to get a new cover for only the cost of shipping back your present one. Since Gotb8t and FishForPike both post that the frame work has different length poles I would also check to see that you assembled the shelter correctly.
Steve

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2019, 04:09 PM »
Question for hideout owners, zippered door opening on your shelter look like this ? The top of the door opening is narrow, looks like the zipper should be longer.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2019, 04:56 PM »
I can check that zippered door thing.  I never use the door - defeats the purpse of the quickflip design.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.