Author Topic: Night Pike.  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Night Pike.
« on: Jan 07, 2012, 12:01 AM »
Hi all,
Have any of you ever had any luck ice fishing for pike at night?

If so, do you keep your lures or bait close to the bottom or have it just under the ice in the hope of some sort of silhouette against the slightly lighter ice surface?

I usually catch them in the early morning, off and on during the day and again just as the sun hit the horizon can be good, but I have only had very limited success at night through the ice for some reason. :P

Any night tricks for pike? ???

WW

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Night Pike.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2012, 09:41 AM »
Pike are diurnal(sp?) which means they are most active between first light and last light and sleep at night just like you and I. I think there is the odd night owl out there but for consistant action stick to the daylight hours.   ;)

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2012, 05:39 PM »
Pike are diurnal(sp?) which means they are most active between first light and last light and sleep at night just like you and I. I think there is the odd night owl out there but for consistant action stick to the daylight hours.   ;)

x2

Offline Slumpbuster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2012, 08:38 PM »
Musky at night can be ridiculous!

I have only caught small pike at night...but then again...they have been on accident!

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2012, 02:37 PM »
Sure it can be for muskies. If you have a hot humid flat calm summer day, most likely you won't find many hungry muskies but after dark the bite will pick up. I spend plenty of hours fishing for muskies after dark. But not pike. Pike have far inferior vision than muskies.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:03 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, I pretty much had that figured about the pike at night but though I would ask and see if everyone had
the same experience for them.

Drifter_016, and other artic anglers, how do you guys get your pike when it's always dark for a month in the winter?
Do you still target them, or try another species who are more suited to the darkness? ???

WW

Offline PikeKing2323

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:37 PM »
Caught many pike during the day but none at night

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:44 PM »
I had an insane night about ten years ago with a bright full moon and 5'' of crystal clear ice, but that is about it.

It seems like they call it a day about the same time I light my lantern.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:51 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, I pretty much had that figured about the pike at night but though I would ask and see if everyone had
the same experience for them.

Drifter_016, and other artic anglers, how do you guys get your pike when it's always dark for a month in the winter?
Do you still target them, or try another species who are more suited to the darkness? ???

WW

We aren't far enough North for complete darkness. You need to be above the arctic circle for that and that's about 550 miles North of me. At this time of year 1st light is about 9:00 AM and last light is about 4:00 PM. Lots of light for pike chasing.   ;D

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:00 PM »
We aren't far enough North for complete darkness. You need to be above the arctic circle for that and that's about 550 miles North of me. At this time of year 1st light is about 9:00 AM and last light is about 4:00 PM. Lots of light for pike chasing.   ;D

I see, not much different then us. Our sunrise is the same and our sunset are just an hour later than yours and yeah there should be lots of time to find the fish if they want to be found. ;)

I have had the similar luck as you Skipper, I caught one pike at night once a few years ago under a bright moon, but have not had that happen since. When it gets dark that's usually it for the pike and that's when I hope the night feeders move in. :tipup:

WW

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:09 AM »
I have caught some pike at night, but definately would target other species at night like the walleyes

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:11 AM »
I see, not much different then us. Our sunrise is the same and our sunset are just an hour later than yours and yeah there should be lots of time to find the fish if they want to be found. ;)

I have had the similar luck as you Skipper, I caught one pike at night once a few years ago under a bright moon, but have not had that happen since. When it gets dark that's usually it for the pike and that's when I hope the night feeders move in. :tipup:

WW

WW
Those aren't sunrise and sunset times just first and last light.
Todays  sunrise and sunset times are 9:55AM and 3:36 PM. We get about 45 minutes or so of dusk on both sides of these times. After the 21st of December we gain 6 minutes of daylight per day.   ;D

Offline Bareback Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:39 AM »
I have caught pike at night but only targeting other speicies like walleye or perch.
BBJ

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2012, 01:48 PM »
BAD EYES, most times night fishing no good
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor