Author Topic: Eskimo Mako 43cc Auger Fuel Leak  (Read 5383 times)

Offline hartly

• IceShanty Rookie
Eskimo Mako 43cc Auger Fuel Leak
« on: Feb 18, 2018, 07:22 PM »
Guys I noticed today at the lake if I lay my auger down on one handle gas tank up the fuel leaks from the grommet in the gas tank. Is there a fix for this. Secondly I have a spare gas tank for my Z71. Will this tank fit my Mako? Thirdly the choke lever broke off. Will the choke lever from a Z71 fit my Mako 43cc?. Rough day when your fishing in a -30 windchill .

Offline tjk3rd

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Eskimo Mako 43cc Auger Fuel Leak
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2018, 11:17 PM »
Yes.  Geteskimo.com sells a replacement grommet and gas line combo. Just replaced mine 2 weeks ago.  Had the same problem

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2018, 11:27 PM »
You may start here and begin reading back a few pages. The answer and remedy is there, many times. Phone number, who to talk with, part numbers.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=152698.2730

Offline mc1984ss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2018, 09:41 AM »
I just bought a brand new rocket  auger and have the exact same problem. Started leaking before I even got a chance to fish with it! I called Eskimo and they are sending me the parts. EXCELLENT customer service! Thank you Eskimo!

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2018, 10:56 AM »
I owned my Mako for about 5 years when last winter I noticed it started to leak. These are notorious for that problem. I guess due to ethanol in the gas.

I replaced the entire fuel line, including the grommet.

I then switched to a pre-mix fuel and started having issues trying to start it. Not sure if it was due to the fuel line replacement or the change to the fuel I was using.

Anyways, got tired of that and bit the bullet and bought an ION.

Will never go back to gas..

Offline mc1984ss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2018, 11:48 AM »
After I change out my grommet I'll let you know how it goes, it is on backorder though. The only silicone I k ow of that is fuel resistant is made by Dow Corning and is over $100 for a small tube

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:11 PM »
After I change out my grommet I'll let you know how it goes, it is on backorder though. The only silicone I k ow of that is fuel resistant is made by Dow Corning and is over $100 for a small tube
seal all sealant is fuel and oil resistant too.made for repairing holes in gas tanks or repairing leaks where gas and oil are present.cheap stuff and at every auto parts store.

Offline Uglymug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2018, 11:04 PM »
I used JB Weld...

Its fuel and oil resistant. Plus since i have their old style tank I'll order their newer style tank when it truly bites the dust.

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2018, 08:33 AM »
I had the same thing happen this year. I just replaced the whole tank. I think it was either spend $10 on the fuel line or spend $20 and get the whole new tank with fuel line. So I just got the new tank and now I have parts if something happens again. If my tank leaks next year or the following I think I will switch to a hand drill/lazer set up. I just have a hard time believing  with electric if the ice is over 3 feet it will be effective for very long. This year I drilled about 30 holes in over three feet of ice in the same day with my gas auger. I imagine that a hand drill will do it, I just have never seen it done. I have seen the ION do it, but never a hand drill. Sorry for the thread highjack.
I do really like my Mako though it works great.

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2018, 12:12 PM »
My rapala nitro did same thing. I just used some seal all around it.  After thar the fuel line rotted n disconnected in the tank. Think half thr issues are from the damn ethanol in regular gas. I beem runnin premium in it the last few years n these issues havent come up and the auger seems to run better
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline Mhankla

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2018, 12:52 PM »
Buyer beware if you buy Eskimo products. I purchased a propane auger back in December and it promptly broke down by spewing oil out which clogged the air filter to where it wouldn't run. Took it to one of their designated repair centers and all they did was clean out the air filter and called it good. Said nothing else seemed to be wrong. Of course did same thing so customer service said send it to them and I'd have it back in a week. After a week and a half called customer service and they claimed they only received it "yesterday" which was interesting since I had notification from UPS it had been delivered a week earlier. And now after another week still no auger. So, if you buy an Eskimo auger you better hope nothing goes wrong with it because if it does you won't have it for the entire ice fishing season. And to top it all off, they don't care! They simply said "I don't know what to tell you."

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2018, 03:43 PM »
wow I had great experience with cust service and eskimo, sorry for the trouble you had. A note, my buddy bought a new Ion, incredible I asked him how is it, and he joked , " starts first time every pull". This year, first time out the switch went out

Offline hartly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2018, 05:31 PM »
Guys I noticed today at the lake if I lay my auger down on one handle gas tank up the fuel leaks from the grommet in the gas tank. Is there a fix for this. Secondly I have a spare gas tank for my Z71. Will this tank fit my Mako? Thirdly the choke lever broke off. Will the choke lever from a Z71 fit my Mako 43cc?. Rough day when your fishing in a -30 windchill .

Well today I installed a new gas tank and Choke lever assembly. All back to normal.Auger runs awesome. Eskimo covered all the parts under warranty.  Off to the lake tomorrow :) Tight Lines all !!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.