The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Now for Something Completely Different  (Read 776 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Now for Something Completely Different
« on: Dec 09, 2018, 08:30 PM »
After stocking up with shiners (since JCB Bait in Cheshire is open now), my younger son and I spent the day icefishing.

We went to K of C Pond in the Dubuque State Forest on the Plainfield/Hawley line, arriving around 11 AM.

Sunny, blue skies, intermittently breezy and temps around 20 degrees.

There was about 5 inches of compacted snow on shore, and about half an inch on most spots of the Pond, which was covered with 6" to 7" of good hard ice.

We set up six tip ups, a dead stick and a jig, all baited with shiners (mediums on the tip ups and pinheads on the dead stick and jig).

About 20 minutes or so after we arrived, we had our one and only flag of the day - - and my son proceeded to reel in a 21" pickerel.

Over the course of the rest of the day, we caught four more pickerel (one 8", one 14" and two 19") and three perch (8" - 9").

However, none of the fish that we caught tripped the flags on our tip ups - - instead we either caught them on the jig/dead stick or while checking on our tip ups.

To pass the time in between the relatively desultory fishing, we brought out the chuck wagon and cooked and ate lunch.

We had pork chops sauteed with mushrooms and green chiliis, a side of kimchi, a saucepan of poutine, another of chestnut soup with Lairds applejack, a small bottle (for me) of home-made black raspberry wine, a pot of coffee with cream and sugar, and a couple tangelos.

Afterwards, we listened to a little after dinner music on the radio while making the rounds to clear our holes (of skim ice, as well as snow blown in by the wind) and check on our tip-ups.

We finally picked up and headed home around 4 PM.

Offline ctice84

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Now for Something Completely Different
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2018, 10:28 PM »
Sounds like a good day with some good eats!

Offline Flagrunner85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2018, 11:50 AM »
Love reading your posts. My favorite by far has to be the the food. If you can eat that good on the ice I can only imagine what you could do with a full kitchen.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2018, 11:54 AM »
Nice day out that's for sure!
Just add water.

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2018, 12:43 PM »
Love reading your posts. My favorite by far has to be the the food. If you can eat that good on the ice I can only imagine what you could do with a full kitchen.

Ironically, about the only time I cook (not counting New Year's Eve) is when I am on the ice.

My wife is a much better cook, and (in the interests of full disclosure) much of what I "cook" on the ice is actually just reheating stuff she has prepared.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2018, 04:03 PM »
Sounds delicious as usual.  I only cook fairly decent meals when I'm pike fishing.  There is usually enough down time to cook up a 4-6 course meal.  So far this year its been gas station garbage and sandwiches.
westernmas on the finder

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2018, 10:47 PM »
ice is nice. at least you got out and enjoyed the outdoors

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.