The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Heading out for trout  (Read 902 times)

Offline Gavins1800

• Team IceShanty Regular
Heading out for trout
« on: Dec 08, 2018, 11:37 PM »
I was checking ponds today and found that a pond down the street from me that Is heavily stocked with trout in spring and fall and people do good there through the ice and I want to fish it but ive never targeted trout through the ice or know what to use if anyone could drop some tips or anything I would really appreciate it. Sorry for asking for help I usually dont like doing that on here

Offline Gavins1800

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Heading out for trout
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2018, 11:38 PM »
I also will be bringing some tip ups 2 dead sticks and some jigging rods

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2018, 01:11 AM »
 When going after brookies or rainbow, I usually put my set line in 2-5ft of water, just a few inches below the ice. They have a tendency to constantly be on the move, following the shore or contour. they will sometimes do laps around certain areas. If there’s any sort of spring or inlet, those are prime spots to fish, but be very careful where you step. Any structures like submerged trees and weeds are also attractors.
Forget the minnows. For traps/dead sticks, I usually use a chunk of nightcrawler. Then I’ll jig close by with something flashy or a rattle spoon tipped with some waxworms or earthworm. Sometimes I’ll just travel between my traps and jig along the way or next to them as trout are curious. But If there’s a nearby drop off or deep weedline I’ll jig there while watching the flags near shore.
Trout tend to be aggressive under the ice and move in groups, but they will hit and spit often. They tend to slash at bait, and will circle back around again several times before you get the hook in them. On set lines they often steal the bait or chew up a minnow without tripping the flag. When you get a flag, get to it quickly but quietly, and set the hook fast before they spit/swallow it. If you get a flag but no fish, jig in that hole. There’s prob more fish there or it hasn’t gone far and can be lured back.

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2018, 06:52 AM »
in my experience, you'll do much better on jigs/deadsticks than tip ups - - I rarely get a flag with trout.

I recommend using nightcrawler segments on small hooks and setting up relatively close to shore.

Ordinarily, they seem to generally hit right under the ice, so I would set up just 2 to 3 feet down and then periodically raise and lower the bait slowly back into place.

Good luck!

Offline PenguinIII

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2018, 07:16 AM »
The only additional advice I would offer would be to downsize your hooks and leaders.
As far as jigging you can’t go wrong with a small Swedish pimple with the single hook tipped with trout worm or mealworm. This works well on rainbows. Good luck and tight lines.

Offline sull155

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2018, 07:24 AM »
The only additional advice I would offer would be to downsize your hooks and leaders.
As far as jigging you can’t go wrong with a small Swedish pimple with the single hook tipped with trout worm or mealworm. This works well on rainbows. Good luck and tight lines.

I use this exact method with trout worms and it works

Offline Yooper906

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2018, 04:19 PM »
Seamonkey hit it on the head with depth of water and location. But I actually have had a lot of luck in northern Mass using traps and jigging for rainbows and brookies. I tend to set tip-ups with live shiners on smaller hooks and leaders. I get bored waiting for flags so ill jig with a full minnow on a Swedish pimple and have had luck with brookies on that.

Offline Jig4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2018, 04:23 PM »
other considerations ... especially on new/clear ice.  Set up before sun up ...  fish the gray/snow ice, use a quality line and stay clear of tackles to minimize noise and shadows...
Weight4 Ice2fishon

Offline icetilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2018, 08:39 AM »
One little trick I learned with the trout is, if you've got a tip up that keeps going off and you're just getting hit and runs, pull the tip up and jig the hole. 99% of the time you'll catch the thief and a couple of his friends.   :tipup: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.