Author Topic: Do Flashers Scare Fish?  (Read 3853 times)

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
Do Flashers Scare Fish?
« on: Mar 01, 2004, 05:38 PM »
I've seen posts on this web site in various places that state that noise from flashers scare fish.  Personally, I don't believe it one bit.  I have been using a flasher for years and my catch rate nearly doubled when I began using one.  I have no evidence to support that claim.  Maybe my particular one doesn't make enough noise to cause a problem (Zercom Clearwater Classic).  Is there any evidence to support these claims or are these claims from people who don't own them.  If you don't have one, how do you know that they scare fish when you don't know that fish are down there to begin with?  And, if you own one and think that they scare fish, what do you do, mark one and just because it moves out of the cone you think that the flasher scared it?  I'm just trying to understand this.  Maybe there is some sort of underwater photography somewhere that has shown this as evidence, I don't know.  Also, if this is true, wouldn't the catch rates of people without sonar be higher than those without, even while not on the ice?

Please, everyone be cordial to all when replying to this post, I'm just trying to get the facts straight here for all who are on the fence about bying one.  I'd hate to see someone miss out on a chance to catch more fish because of a claim that isn't true.  And, I'm not trying to pick on anyone here and don't want anyone else to.  So, your opinion matters but please respect other peoples opinions.  I know that y'all will, cuz we are all a bunch of good guys on here ;)!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Do Flashers Scare Fish?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2004, 05:47 PM »
They might scare fish, but if you use your flasher to get on top of a school of fish who cares if you scare 1/3 of the fish.  You can still catch the other 2/3 of the school.

Peoples catches have gone up once they started using a flasher because they are actually on top of fish.  Who is to say you wouldn't catch more fish without the flasher if you just happened to drill on top of where the fish are.

Just my opinioin, I don't even own a flasher, just sounds logical to me.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline bogeyjoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay on Top!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2004, 06:02 PM »
I've seen these statements as well and think they're utter hogwash.  One person stated that a group of guys were catching fish left and right, and then another person in their group walked up, put the ducer in the water and they stopped catching fish??? Maybe the school moved on perhaps...I also have a camera and have used both units in tandem and I've never seen any evidence that flashers scare fish. 
The only negative that I can think of when using flashers is I personally think I spend too much time working on negative fish when I'd be better served moving and looking for more active fish.
The other night I spent an hour and a half working on a rather large mark on my vex that would rush up to my jig (or jigs actually, as I threw my whole tackle box at him) look at it for several minutes and back off...over and over again.  Finally, I gave up on him, moved on and caught a mess of active or neutral fish.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2004, 06:16 PM »
No not at all.The only problem I've had is a fish wrapping the line around the transducer cord a getting off.Now if it's a good one I pull it out.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2004, 07:17 PM »
You know ho says that THE D@MB GUYS  :-X who dont have the money for one and in there head they need a reason to tell them self why they shouldnt get one :-\ I havent found a guy yet who hasnt said it 2X there catch. :-\ but hey I got one and love it I put out 4 tip ups and jig with my flasher and get more fish than the 4 traps and more fish than the guys jiging with out a flasher 4,5 to 1 oh well I bet a guy who has one will never say they scared the fish away come on  :o
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline utes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2004, 09:11 PM »
I totally agree guys. I just got a fl-8 this year and I literally do catch more fish. Although this year has been relativally slow for a lot of people; including me, but I doubt i would have caught as mant w/o my flasher. Would'nt leave home w/o it, even if it did scare a few fish.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2004, 09:40 PM »
The question should be:
Do Bubbleheads scare fish(or just fishermen)?
Ken                                          

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2004, 06:32 AM »
Bean, the answer to your question is...

...when you hear the BH heading your way, your blood pressure increases, heart pounds, teeth grind and you wind up jigging much faster and more often than you intend...

People have been know to have their aortas burst and their teeth ground down to little tiny nubs because of him.

There is a flasher that scares anglers though, the one with the raincoat ;D.  Good thing that BH doesn't fit into that category!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2004, 06:38 AM »
A week or two ago, I watched a short segment (between shows) on ESPN-2 that featured Doug Hannon, known as the "bass professor".  He was giving a short spiel on using sonar in a boat to locate structure and determine depth.  He said that once you locate the right spot, you should turn your sonar off.  He expressly stated that fish can detect the sonar, and that it does affect their behavior.

I don't remember exactly what he said, but I remember thinking at the time that he seemed to have more of an "ethical" problem using sonar than a "scientific" one.  What does a guy from Florida know about ice fishing anyway? ;D  Maybe his remarks can be found on ESPN's website??

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2004, 07:04 AM »
All I can say for sure is my experience dictates otherwise. My catch rate doubled. I set mine on a 5 gallon pail and use it all the time. I have experienced issues with the fish getting tangled up in the cord as well and usually pull my cord out of the water before getting the fish to the hole.

Brian

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline wny angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2004, 02:00 PM »
i just started using a flasher a few weeks ago.i use it in shallow water at night and  iv,e been catching a lot more fish since i started using it-

i noticed it made a little noise when i set it on the clear ice from vibrating so i brought a small towel to set it on.

i fish with it in 6 ft of water-didnt seem to scare the fish to me...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.