Author Topic: what flasher should i get?  (Read 517 times)

Offline nickeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
what flasher should i get?
« on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:34 PM »
I know its manly on what a person likes more, but just need some last input. Also should I get a flasher first or an ice suit?

Offline Smoltz35

• IceShanty Rookie
  • There are no bad days when fishing!!
Re: what flasher should i get?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Flasher first than ice suit if you need it. I currently use vexilar and I am happy.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:52 PM »
If you find fish and get cold, it's over.    ;)

Just sayin'.

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:52 PM »
Flasher...  Not getting into which one though lol.  Personally I love my marcum.  All preference.  Ice suit can be substituted with a pair of carhart bibs and a jacket in my opinion. 
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:57 PM »
I have a Showdown Dual Beam that I bought back in 2011 and can't say enough good things about it.  It's simple to use, learn, and understand (top is the top of the water column and the bottom is the bottom).  The main draw back guys say about it is the display is black and white rather than color (red, green, and yellow) for indicator marks (your jig and fish).  I wouldn't part with mine and would buy it again without any hesitation.  As for if you should get a flasher or ice suit that's a bit of a tough question.  I'd get the flasher first.  I have been ice fishing since 1996 and still don't have a suit.  Sure they're nice but I think the flasher would help you out far more. 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2014, 07:16 PM »
my floating ice suit saved me and so is priceless. i have bought 2 more floating ice suits since then.
once you fall in over your head on ice, you will know that your life is way more important than any thing else.

second choice obviously then, is the finder.

i have humminbird ice-55 flasher, but had it serviced and they didn't service it correctly and want 170.00 now to fix them. plus your shipping to them costs.
so i have moved on to a better brand and much better unit thats digital and is for open water too. there is nothing like it that i can find. the marcum lx-7. the lx-9 is same thing but with their camera. the lx-5 and 6 do not have the best separation, but would be good to stay in the all digital finders. if you want color. if you don't care about color, then the showdown is great too.
all the others are not digital and use old tech to make them work.

Offline Oceantoad1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2014, 07:17 PM »
Get the flasher first.  That way you can spend your time catching the fish before you get too cold looking for fish.  I bit the bullet and bought the VEXILAR FL-18 Pro pac last year.  I went out with my 21'y/o son and he thought that was the neatest thing since sliced bread.  He said it was like watching a video game!! It definitely kept his interest.

Kyle_J

« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2014, 07:22 PM »
I would get a flasher first.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.