Author Topic: Gloves  (Read 2808 times)

Offline OldTowner

• IceShanty Rookie
Gloves
« on: Dec 04, 2022, 06:30 AM »
Hope everyone had a good spring through fall! Rain and the infernal wind is keeping things open around our area of the north country, so thinking it's going to be awhile. That being said, I'm looking to see what/if folks are using for waterproof gloves. Can't tell if it's the arthritis or age, but my hands don't take to being dipped too well. My research is centering around the Clam gloves. Are they worth it or should I just use regular rubber gloves and keep my hands as dry as I can. Thanks!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Gloves
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2022, 07:23 AM »
I have the Clam gloves, I’m
Not crazy about them

Best ice fishing glove I ever had were those black HT ice mittens
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2022, 07:32 AM »
I use the clam ice armor gloves. they're good til you get your hands wet. you never get them dry enough to get your hands back into them. That's why I always bring wool gloves too.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2022, 08:20 AM »
The polar/HT jocko therms mitts are what I have used for years, the fleece liner is removable the outer rubber is water proof and wind proof, I use those once I'm set up and use a pair of leather palm work gloves for set up so they take the abuse of handling augers and spud bars, I dont care if the get wet because I have the nice dry fleece lined mittens to keep my hands warm.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2022, 08:42 AM »
The polar/HT jocko therms mitts are what I have used for years, the fleece liner is removable the outer rubber is water proof and wind proof, I use those once I'm set up and use a pair of leather palm work gloves for set up so they take the abuse of handling augers and spud bars, I dont care if the get wet because I have the nice dry fleece lined mittens to keep my hands warm.

Yep that’s them

Offline bullman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2022, 10:19 AM »
I just use some cheapos I got at Ocean State Job Lots for like $8. They're inexpensive, lined, waterproof and serve the exact purpose you're talking about. I have my gore tex outers and wool inner mittens for when I'm not hoisting fish or changing bait. Also extremely easy to replace  ;D...

Offline george_l

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2022, 01:59 PM »
Last year I started wearing the cheap disposable latex gloves when ice fishing (when I remembered) under my normal light weight gloves.  Made a big difference, hands didn't get wet when changing baits etc.

I bought a box this year.  I still have to remind myself to put them on when I'm working in the garage, I usually remember once my hands are all covered in grease.

George

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2022, 08:02 PM »
Joka therms
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline TrackerScout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2022, 08:51 PM »
Showa temres 282… lightweight, warm, and waterproof.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2022, 07:32 AM »
Another vote for the Joka mittens... I know you're asking about gloves but this might help too, lots of good opinions in this thread.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=388142.msg4235819#msg4235819
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2022, 09:34 AM »
There's another thread on gloves in "chit chat" thread...

My reply is similar to Roccus & Aquaassassin...so another vote for HT Ent mitts...

Here's the rest of my post in the other thread:

You're going to get alot of different answers for this question...some of it depends on how you're fishing (tip-ups vs. jigging) and how cold is "really cold" for your area?

Best combo that I've found w/ mitts (*not jigging*) is some kind of waterproof, windproof, insulated mitt (like HT Ent) & fingerless fleece gloves (BPS makes a great pair for cheap)...when it's "really cold", you can drop a handwarmer in the bottom of the mitt.  This way, you retain almost full use of your fingers (when needed) and otherwise they are kept warm & flexible in the mitts.  The fingerless fleece gloves are awesome & they really do help preserve your fingers when working out in the cold for short periods - cheap enough to get 2 pairs in case 1 accidentally gets wet.  Easy on/easy off.  I also use this combo when traveling on ice to my destination to keep my fingers warm for jigging.

For jigging, I like Atlas Thermal work gloves (the gray ones).  They're great work gloves for yard work (or any other outside work)...they keep my hands reasonably warm...and the latex palms help alot w/ handling fish..but the backs are wool which allows good breathability.  Only drawback is that my feel drops while wearing these gloves (vs bare hands or fingerless fleece gloves)....but it's still better than ski gloves.  When it's really cold, I fish in a flip over or wear ski gloves...and then swing at everything that breathes on my jig like a crazy man, lol.  I buy the work gloves by the dozen & keep them in the garage...much cheaper that way...seem to get more expensive every year....plus I always have an extra pair ready to go when I wear thru an old pair.

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Drill It Till It Squirts
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2022, 09:48 AM »
Kinco - HydroFlector- Lined Double Coated Gloves.... they are about $12 so you can buy extra. they are tough as nails on ice and if you need to dip your hand quick they stay dry.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway
"Im surrounded by Ice holes"
:icefish:

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2022, 10:34 AM »
This is the combination I use on most days. Easy to tie jigs, feel the bites, handle the fish, relatively warm and dry (not totally waterproof). I carry a towel with me to wipe off water as needed. If it's really cold out, I'll slip on a pair of HT Polars over these for a quick warm up. Then back to fishing.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2022, 10:51 AM »
I feel like my hands would sweat like crazy with latex gloves on under gloves

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2022, 10:59 AM »
I feel like my hands would sweat like crazy with latex gloves on under gloves

Mine don't. The "overgloves" are actually breathable on top.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2022, 11:20 AM »
Mine don't. The "overgloves" are actually breathable on top.
mine hands turn into faucets when I wear latex gloves at work ..sweat like mad
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2022, 12:03 PM »

Maybe that's why mine don't sweat. I don't work...I'm retired.  ;D

I suppose if you're inside or warmer conditions, they would sweat. I only do this on the ice or cold days in the treestand or on the boat .

Offline george_l

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2022, 12:33 PM »
Latex gloves and sweating, I never had an issue last year the few times I tried it.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2022, 12:57 PM »

Same that’s why I said it, just took some off now and soaked

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2022, 01:17 PM »
Just like anything else...what works for one may not work for others. Options are endless. When I was in my 40's, I'd sweat like nobody's business. 30 years later? Not so much. Age has a funny...not funny... way of changing things like that.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2022, 02:25 PM »
I have tried all kinds of expensive and cheap gloves and have been using the following for the last 10+ yrs.

I swear by the Joka/HT polar mittens.  They are big so you can wear gloves under them.  The liner comes out so you can dry them plus if the liner pulls out of the thumb, you pull the whole liner put it on your hand and put it back in the glove with out any issue/bunching/problems.  Because they are water proof you can clear ice in holes with them and not get wet at all.  On cold days I keep a hand warmer in each one.  You can drill holes with them on, no problem.  I have had my pair for 10+ years.  I bought new liners a couple years ago. 

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/474137-hi-tech-fishing-polar-eskimo-mitts.html?blaintm_source=google&blaintm_medium=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQiArt6PBhCoARIsAMF5wagtwo0pjozpifNNCqc7xwOMwhz2m3rEHIZJsvLa7MudPt7iwkl1bzcaAlByEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/JokaTherm-Mittens-Size-10-XL/dp/B009IYMBDI/ref=asc_df_B009IYMBDI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=563715223612&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1054666487030450082&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1021987&hvtargid=pla-1487893605330&psc=1

Most of the time I wear a pair of the grease monkey honeycomb grip (latex coated) mechanics gloves under the mittens for finess, I can tie 2lb test.  I like these grease monkey ones the best, not all mechanic gloves are the same.  I keep several pair with me and change them out as they get wet.

https://www.runnings.com/grease-monkeyr-honeycomb-grip-textured-latex.html

If things are really cold I wear fingless wool gloves over the grease monkey gloves.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08V9F95Y1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ReplyQuoteNotify

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2022, 03:19 PM »
I like these, but I'm in a pullover all the time.
https://www.fishmonkeygloves.com/product/wooly/

Offline OldTowner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2022, 06:41 PM »
Appreciate the answers very much and am already looking at what folks are using. There've been days when my hands feel like they're burning once wet and cold. Don't imagine the arthritis helps but it isn't stopping me, just slowing me down a bit.

As an aside, in the Whitefield area, the winds have opened everything back up. Tomorrow's forecast of rain, wind, and near 50° isn't going to help. Thanks again!

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2022, 08:19 PM »
I use a multi layer system to keep warm but functional. Took me years to develop.  I  like the latex glove idea but that will cause sweating.  Gloves are useless imo.
I don't care how much you spend or if they are waterproof etc. They dont stay warm and will not be of use once you have cold wet fingers and they just dont hold up. The ht mittens or anything would be way better.  I use the clam mittens and I get xxl size the bigger the better. If you're fishing you need your fingers to do things, so you need warm hands and fingers. The mittens I use are for the inactive periods or periods when I dont need the tactile feel and use of finger tying knots baiting hooks etc. I use hand warmers usually 2 sets. Activated at least half hour before you need. them my system is as follows
.  A good pair of wool fingerless gloves.
Insert one pair of warmers into palm of hand or top of hand whatever you want.  They lay flat and will not interfere with your fishing.  Place other set inside mittens. Now you have 2 set of warmers
A total of 4 . The mittens will fit over the fingerless gloves easily, but you need the biggest ones possible. This system allows you to keep hands toasty warm. You can drill holes scoop ice etc. Once it's time to bait up Remove mittens. You still have fingerless gloves and warmers on. You can do everything you need and use your fingers for fine tasks. Recharge your hands in the mittens if you get cold.  I use this system over and over.  I have been out in as cold as minus 13 degrees without issue. Once your warm the fingerless gloves and hand warmer combo will keep you comfortable 80 percent of the time if you get cold recharge your hands in the mittens with the other set of warmers.  Yes its a little pricey but I guarantee you will never have cold fingers again. I dont use a shack and I am out all day. This works every time.  Most importantly make sure you activate the warmers 30 min prior to use.
Salmonemia

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2022, 10:10 AM »
I use a multi layer system to keep warm but functional. Took me years to develop.  I  like the latex glove idea but that will cause sweating.  Gloves are useless imo.
I don't care how much you spend or if they are waterproof etc. They dont stay warm and will not be of use once you have cold wet fingers and they just dont hold up. The ht mittens or anything would be way better.  I use the clam mittens and I get xxl size the bigger the better. If you're fishing you need your fingers to do things, so you need warm hands and fingers. The mittens I use are for the inactive periods or periods when I dont need the tactile feel and use of finger tying knots baiting hooks etc. I use hand warmers usually 2 sets. Activated at least half hour before you need. them my system is as follows
.  A good pair of wool fingerless gloves.
Insert one pair of warmers into palm of hand or top of hand whatever you want.  They lay flat and will not interfere with your fishing.  Place other set inside mittens. Now you have 2 set of warmers
A total of 4 . The mittens will fit over the fingerless gloves easily, but you need the biggest ones possible. This system allows you to keep hands toasty warm. You can drill holes scoop ice etc. Once it's time to bait up Remove mittens. You still have fingerless gloves and warmers on. You can do everything you need and use your fingers for fine tasks. Recharge your hands in the mittens if you get cold.  I use this system over and over.  I have been out in as cold as minus 13 degrees without issue. Once your warm the fingerless gloves and hand warmer combo will keep you comfortable 80 percent of the time if you get cold recharge your hands in the mittens with the other set of warmers.  Yes its a little pricey but I guarantee you will never have cold fingers again. I dont use a shack and I am out all day. This works every time.  Most importantly make sure you activate the warmers 30 min prior to use.

My system is basically the same however I have multiple pairs of the cheap, but specific type of mechanics gloves that allow me to tie 2lb test and rig baits and when they get wet I put on a new pair.  I wear them under the wool fingerless gloves.  I tried latex gloves under wool fingerless gloves and my hands were instantly wet with sweat and instantly cold.

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2022, 08:04 AM »
We recently tried Palmyth ice fishing gloves. I like mine.

https://palmythfishing.com/

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2022, 08:57 AM »
oh wow! I've never seen the three fingers cut off. Usually they have everything but the thumb cut off, rendering your thumb useless. Im buying those wool ones. Thanks for sharing.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2022, 12:05 PM »

Best ice fishing glove I ever had were those black HT ice mittens
^THIS.... without a doubt
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2022, 12:16 PM »
Ordered the Palmyth wool fingerless gloves this AM off amazon for right around 20$. They will be the bees knees for how I fish.

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Drill It Till It Squirts
« Reply #29 on: Dec 07, 2022, 12:27 PM »
Ordered the Palmyth wool fingerless gloves this AM off amazon for right around 20$. They will be the bees knees for how I fish.
40% off also! Spent my fishing allowance but added it to the Wishlist!
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway
"Im surrounded by Ice holes"
:icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.