Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > General Tips

Using fluorocarbon for first time

<< < (2/4) > >>

Iceassin:

--- Quote from: DR.SPECKLER on Dec 28, 2021, 01:53 PM ---Because its coily,likes to unravel off the spool,stiff with no stretch.im not a fan of it for mainline.

--- End quote ---

I learned the hard way Doc. Fluoro for main line is a disaster!  :woot: Getting ready to respool everything with good 'ol Trilene Micro Ice. Don't know why I even switched...easier to handle and tie knots for sure. Actually done some research today and found there isn't that much difference between the two as far as invisibility, stretch, and abrasion properties. At least not enough to matter for pannies.

Hardwater2:
Anyone try this yet? It’s a mono/flouro mix. Has low stretch, very sensitive, better abrasion resistant than mono but not as stiff as flouro. I spooled up two rods with it for jigging outside. Wanted something with less freeze up than braid with low stretch.

bullpine:
I use fluorocarbon for panfish on my inline reels in the 3# and 4#.  Catch more and bigger panfish because they can't see it.    I am only spooling on maybe 8 yards at most and have some mono or old fluor for backing.  I use mono for my ice fishing spinning reels. I use braid for spinning rods in summer, but only use braid with a fluorocarbon leader for that application.  I use mono, fluor or the fluor coated hybrids for my baitcasting reels in summer.  Haven't used baitcasters in winter but I am sure fluor would work in higher pound test of 8 or 10 pound for walleye.   Always, always had a mess putting fluor on spinning reels.

Hardwater2:
Always, always had a mess putting fluor on spinning reels.
[/quote]

X2! Thought I’d give this a try for jigging eyes outside and using a fluorocarbon leader.
Less freeze ups …..hopefully

slipperybob:
Unruly fluorocarbon does have it's advantages and comes with a lot of disadvantages too.  For a main line, there is the slack line vibration sensitivity.  The harder material does a better job at vibration transmission.  So at times that very light tick from a fish bite is felt more.  The other thing is that is has a better flow on contact surface.  It is more slippery and knot tying has to be more carefully cinched to hold.  Then there's a trick to it because friction heat will weaken the knot easily with fluorocarbon, hence it's weaker knot strength in most cases with small diameter lines. 

Sink value is wonderful when using very light lures.  Lures that weigh in like 1/64th oz. or lighter will benefit. 

Typically fluorocarbon lines is more stiff.  That in itself might be good in preventing a line self knot.  Or however does a fish ever able to tie a knot onto your line.  No clue how that happened but I've had bluegills at times able to put a knot onto my line.

Fluorocarbon as a material is waterproof.  Hence it's a good material for resisting ice beads.  Well if you add in a treatment of silicone and/or teflon that helps it even more.  Hence pay attention to an actual ice line.  Same material as open water lines, but sometimes the ice line gets and additional chemical treatment for you.

One more thing about fluorocarbon as a main line is the equipment has to be up to snuff to take advantage of it's benefits.  As in the precision of the equipment that does come with a cost.  It's just a spinning reel but comparing $$$ value of a $20-30 reel up against $200-300 or even $400 spinning reel is a lot of money just for a little advantage.  Then again it goes some people have expesive$$$$$ permy's while other have low$$$ portables.  Whatever one enjoys, it's up to one's personal preference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version