Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > General Tips

Using fluorocarbon for first time

<< < (3/4) > >>

eyeflyer:
I use a flouro leader only, main lines are all superlines when ice fishing, and only use on stationary or slow presentations in the summer (slip bobber, drop shot and lindy rig. I don't bother to much with flouro for trolling presentations in the summer cranks, spinner rigs, spoons.

Hillsfisher:
I have been a fan of braid for many years, winter or summer.  For some reason this season I decided to try fluorocarbon for my main line on my panfish rods.  So far so good.  There is a bit of memory at first but tends to go away after a few times down the hole.  Not saying that I am catching more fish or am sold on it, but it works just fine. 

Kilsdonk:
...Fluorocarbon as a material is waterproof.  Hence it's a good material for resisting ice beads.  Well if you add in a treatment of silicone and/or teflon that helps it even more.  Hence pay attention to an actual ice line.  Same material as open water lines, but sometimes the ice line gets and additional chemical treatment for you.
[/quote]
Thanks Bob, Can you elaborate a bit more on the treatment of Silicone/Teflon on the line to keep ice from forming? I usually fish in an icehouse but would love to hear what others do to prevent this also.

kpd145:

--- Quote from: Van Noord on Dec 28, 2021, 02:24 PM ---Fluorocarbon as a leader only because it sinks faster and gets your bait down quicker and it's virtually invisible in water. Very high abrasion resistance as well.
 You don't use it as a main line because it is too dense and uncoils much too rapidly.

--- End quote ---

This pretty much. Most of my setups are Sufix 832 braid and Seaguar Flouro leader.

You can use a uni to uni for tying leader to main line braid.

whiteymalone:
I use Seaguar Invisx on every spinning reel that I own that doesn't have braid on it. The only exception to this is my ultra light ice spinning rig is spooled with a 50m spool of  Blackbird Phantom 3.3# flourocarbon leader material. Those lines behave as well as any lines I've ever fished. I agree about the jumpy misbehaving tendencies of lines like Berkley Vanish, Suffix flouro, and other lower end flouro. main lines.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version