Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > General Tips

Line Angle Deflection to first line guide

<< < (3/4) > >>

slipperybob:

--- Quote from: slipperybob on Oct 23, 2018, 05:45 PM ---So after all the downtime and too much thinking... I have decided that I will fish my 13 Whiteout rod skipping the first line guide to allow a more straight line and more uniformed cone angle.  Waiting for ice and some real field test...

--- End quote ---

Coming back to this to give an update.  I will say that skipping the first line guide on the 13 Whiteout rod fishes just fine.  In fact it actually fishes better.  So how many other types of ice rod would probably benefit from this?  Very unexpected, results and probably will vary from actual rods.

TickleStick:
I hate to bump such a old thread up but have noticed this myself, especially on St-Croix Custom Ice rods, I actually just sold
one of them due to this, it wasn't so much the pulsating but when I had a fish on I could feel the rough angle while reeling through the first guide, each time the line
would come in contact with the first guide it would cause a lot of pressure on the rotor with each rotation, felt almost like my reel was skipping.

The last time I used it I ended up bypassing the first guide which made a huge improvement.

How these pro's use these St-Croix CCI rods without having them changed confuses me....

HWeber:

--- Quote from: TickleStick on Jan 16, 2021, 02:26 AM ---I hate to bump such a old thread up but have noticed this myself, especially on St-Croix Custom Ice rods, I actually just sold
one of them due to this, it wasn't so much the pulsating but when I had a fish on I could feel the rough angle while reeling through the first guide, each time the line
would come in contact with the first guide it would cause a lot of pressure on the rotor with each rotation, felt almost like my reel was skipping.

The last time I used it I ended up bypassing the first guide which made a huge improvement.

How these pro's use these St-Croix CCI rods without having them changed confuses me....

--- End quote ---

Ht accucast reels use a angled reel stem.  Might solve your issue if you like the rod otherwise. "Pros" seem to promote whoever pays them regardless of quality

slipperybob:

--- Quote from: TickleStick on Jan 16, 2021, 02:26 AM ---I hate to bump such a old thread up but have noticed this myself, especially on St-Croix Custom Ice rods, I actually just sold

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: HWeber on Jan 16, 2021, 07:49 AM ---Ht accucast reels use a angled reel stem.  Might solve your issue if you like the rod otherwise. "Pros" seem to promote whoever pays them regardless of quality

--- End quote ---

Exactly why I don't buy into the hype.  Especially seeing a rod with a high price tag and whooopsss....they didn't even get the line guide sizing and spacing right. 

slipperybob:
So I measured the last two rods I got made by Thorne Bros. last year as custom requested on a Panfish and Perch Sweetheart blanks into 32" length.  I measured from reel stem of the Stradic 1000 Ci4+ to the foot of the first line guide and both were 11". 

The angle deflection was 4 degree top and 18 degree bottom on the Panfish Sweetheart.
The angle deflection was 1 degree top and 16 degree bottom on the Perch Sweetheart.

The Perch Sweetheart has a bigger stripper guide and therefore also has a slightly longer stem.  Visual aesthetic appeal the Panfish looks better with the guide sizes and spacing.  The Perch looks off que.  Functionally the Perch fishes better with the bigger line guide as well as in part also being a little bit stronger in power.  Originally these were meant to have been built for the bait casting reel, but the builder shorted one line guide as originally requested.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version