Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > General Tips

"re:simplicityand mobility

(1/3) > >>

marmooska:
after you understand a bit about fish location and presentation, mobility is the key to catching more fish through the ice than you ever dreamed possible." but mobility is more than moving;its moving with a purpose and moving efficiently. components that let you move efficiently are parts of the system .the system is similar to mobile systems we use on open water." the problem with most ice-fishing approaches is lack of mobility. most icefishermen wont move when there not catching fish, not moving is a tradition - set out the shack and dont move it until the end of the season. " but many good open- water anglers would stay in a few spots on one or two lake points during a day of fishing . good open- water anglers go to the fish. too many icefishermen let the fish come to them. be willing to search for fish each time youre out and each time the fishing slows. " first have all your equipment ready and organized before setting out on the ice-batteries charged , reels spooled, lures ready= then move strategically from location to location searching for fish. " for panfish, i follow 3 rules : 1), be prepared to be mobile looking for hot fish.2), keep your prsentation small and light . and 3), keep it simple. "" if there aggresive , use larger baits , when there less cooperative , use lighter lines and smaller baits , and fish slowly with long , frequent pauses to allow your bait to settle . in fact, ive often found setting my rod down completely for a couple minutes and just watching the rod tip and line for unusual movement is one of my top - producing methods for detecting the subtle bites of light - striking panfish." i cant tell you specifically how to catch winter panfish in every instance , but i can say every ice angler ive ever witnessed not doing so well operated on a philosophy opposite these rules. they tend to sit still in one hole , fish gear that is to heavy , and make things too complex. follow these three rules , however , and youll improve your odds.  "like i said before , i still see ice anglers drill 1 hole and remain there all day , whether there catching fish or not."   beats me why they do that .  ???                                                                                              " dont fish harder, fish smarter "                                                                                                         jim----"bubba"

Flash_King:
In response to your question - After being cooped up in a office with no windows,10 hr days all week, the enjoyment in just being on the ice in the great outdoors is the experience,not whether you catch anything(although it would be nice if I felt a pull on my line) and the feeling of feedom of no computers,no cell phones,no bosses, no customers.THERE I got that off my chest(sic)
Good luck-Good Fishing

holeinhide:
ain't that the truth!! ah to be free.

kenelz:
Very good tips Marmooska. I'm guilty of not moving enough, I get settled in and comfortable and dont want to move, but, if there is no action at all, I get bored and will move. I enjoy being out there also, but, I'm out there to catch fish.
 When panfishing on small lakes, I dont usually take a shanty, just what I can get in a couple five gallon buckets. I punch lots of holes and keep on the move. Its funny how a hole will produce, and a hole five feet away wont. I dont use electronics, but I am shopping for a flasher now.

marmooska:
hey, flash king ----- i would feel the same way if i was cooped up in a office 10 hrs a day without windows to look out of not seeing whats going on out there  ??? i also enjoy just going out, if i dont catch anthing , its just being out there one with nature and your buddies . and talking and drinking coffee.    i never take out a shanty , just my bucket and folding camou. stool and pull it on my torpedo kids sled.  agh dont laugh about my  kids sled.  ;D ;D    jim---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version