Author Topic: What kind of 4x4 ATV do you recommend for Ice Fishing?  (Read 11270 times)

Offline Lostboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for stiff water
OK guys I finally reached a point in life where I can buy a new 4-wheeler. Most likely brand new or at least a late model with few miles on her.
Now everyone is making 4x4 quads these days from Honda to Kymco. What does an ice fisherman want\need for fishing hard water in upstate NY?

Here's what I want (that doesn't necessarily mean I know what I should want)…
A two person (with sissy seat) for hauling my Bro, Pop or Wifie.

Engine:  500cc or similar size with Auxiliary Pull start (I've been stranded by a bad battery and don't want to be stuck in the middle of a lake). Can you get larger motors with a pull start? Can you physically pull it beyond 500cc?

A full automatic transmission. I want it so that my wife could take it for a spin without needing to shift. I'm concerned about freezing up though. Remember I want it to be a real good Ice fishing machine. I know there are automatic "shifting" transmissions.  A fellow Ice fisherman says in subzero weather he hauls many of these "automatics" off the Ice during the year due to the vacuum lines freezing up (which prevent shifting).  He has a Honda Foreman with an Auto clutch but a foot shifter and says that's the best. I can see his point. I'm used to old racers that were full standards. What's the scoop with these CVT belt drives??? Obviously "belt" drives have been around forever on snowmobiles. What are your opinions?

I want as few electrical push buttons as possible. I'd rather have a lever to shift in and out of 4WD; from Hi to Low; Park to F or R… whatever. I don't want an electrical switch to rely on if I can help it.

Do I want Air, Fan, Liquid or oil cooled? I know from my past that plain old "Air-Cooled" can overheat even in the middle of winter if you are stuck and trying to rev out of snow drift without air circulation. I'm thinking liquid or oil cooled with a fan.

How is my reasoning? Am I off base or spot on? Is there anything else I need to consider for Ice Fishing? Btw… I will be using it round year too. No I don't want a sled…

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What kind of 4x4 ATV do you recommend for Ice Fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2009, 08:19 PM »
Wow... sounds like it's going to be a sweet ride!! Also, start looking at all the threads that have the custom modifications to the sleds and 4-wheelers for carrying gear and such. It might give you some more ideas for your new 4-wheeler..... good luck!!

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2009, 10:10 PM »
Sounds like you've done your homework and come to some sound conclusions! I'd stick with one of the big 6 ( honda, cat, yamaha, polaris, suzuki or kawi), personally I don't trust those chinese and knock off brands, and parts availability could be a question.

I think a lot of the bigger engines still have a recoil or kick back-up, they just make use of a decompression switch, but I'm not 100% sure. My attempt at an ice ATV was an old Honda Fourtrax TRX250, auto clutch, foot shifted. Never had a problem with the transmission or clutch, and a few times I had to beat it like it owed me money to get out of some slush and deep snow. I'd bet money the "true" automatics with the belt drive won't give you a lick of problems in the cold, they're identical to whats on sleds, and you can even buy clutch kits for alot of them for more snap  ;D

One big benefit to a liquid cooled machine, you can put a block heater in. Makes starting it a breeze when the temperature drops. You are right, working a bike hard in slush/snow puts a huge load on the engine and I have in the past heated air cooled bikes to the point that I've cracked the porceline on the spark plug.  I'm totally for mechanical linkage over electrical whenever possible, they let you feel when they're fully engaged and are easier to persuade into gear in the middle of no where so you can get home. Just make sure they're lubed with a good low temp grease, or they get really stiff, especially cables.

Another thing to consider is adding tire chains, helps in those bare ice conditions, a good tow rope (for you or others) and even bringing booster cables in case the battery dies. No sense pull starting if there's another bike close by for a boost.

In the end, go to plenty of dealers and test ride all the different models, find the bike that fit's you and your intended use and enjoy!

Good Luck! :tipup:
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline Lostboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2009, 08:18 AM »
Thanks for the in depth info. Nice to hear I'm in the right track! ;D

Offline Lostboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2009, 07:25 PM »
Guys\Gals,
Still need some more input. Please feel free to comment...

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2009, 07:45 PM »
I've only ever owned machines with CVT and had just a couple of issues.....

On an older polaris the belt would slip if I ran through water with it, the belt case wasn't water tight.

On my current arctic cat, the belt would slip if I tried to pull to much weight from a dead stop.  It was over a ton though, and I'm pretty sure they don't recommend anything over 1000 lbs or so, depending on the machine.  I also bent the little hitch plate in the process, too much tongue weight too.

Other than those 2 instances, CVT has been very reliable in normal use conditions.  I've taken my machine out in -25 and 30mph winds and it got me where I needed to go, which thankfully wasn't very far, because I probably would have froze to death if I went much further, but the cat handled it fine. 

I've also only owned air-cooled machines, and never had a problem overheating.  You should know when your stuck and dig yourself out instead of trying to rock around and rev up a lot.  Just because you have 4x4 doesn't mean you going to get yourself out of trouble.  I've been stuck in Hard slush before, hung up the frame and the wheels would just spin.  In those cases your better off just getting off and trying to dig some of that stuff out and try again.  Tire chains will help you stay out of those situations.

I don't know how much extra an actual 2-seater costs compared to a regular 1 man machine, but I bought a rack seat that I mounted on the back rack for a couple hundred bucks, something else to look into if the price difference is much more than that.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2009, 07:54 PM »
I have a 06 polaris sportsman 500 and the belt drive trans has performed flawlessly. It starts good in the cold too. The amount of snow and slush that it will go through still impresses me yet.

Offline Lostboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2009, 08:21 PM »
I don't know how much extra an actual 2-seater costs compared to a regular 1 man machine, but I bought a rack seat that I mounted on the back rack for a couple hundred bucks, something else to look into if the price difference is much more than that.

I weigh a good 270 lbs and my Bro is prolly in the same ball park. How would a "rack seat" work for big boys?

I might need to start another thread...

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2009, 05:47 PM »
I weigh a good 270 lbs and my Bro is prolly in the same ball park. How would a "rack seat" work for big boys?

I might need to start another thread...

It depends on the suspension of the quad.  I drag my uncle out on the ice and he's in the upper 200 bracket as well, sure the suspension squats a bit, but it much of an issue, unless you're using a smaller framed machine, (300 class or smaller) they typically don't have very strong springs to resist much load.  I do believe that the mfg's 2-seaters have stiffer suspensions to handle the weight, and the wheel base is longer to center the load better, unlike my ac 400, where if someone sits on the back, their pretty much right over the rear axle.  A regular full size quad will take 2 people, just a matter of comfort and speed, you're not going to be able to tear around a corner as if you were riding yourself.

Offline denice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2009, 05:26 PM »
I have a 2007 Can Am Outlader 400  and it has run flawlessly for 1000 miles .I did have to change the belt though( the kids fault) .Dont tow more than it was designed for. I would Recommend any brand you buy that you tell the dealer to throw in a set of chains, at least for the rear tires.I went out on petenwel on 15 to 20 inches of snow on the lake and did get stuck alot.Bought chains the following year and what a differance that makes.plus if you have your Quad on glare ice with alot of traffic or people on it .It is much safer to brake and stop.Just my 2 cents ..,DENNIS

Offline crappie_chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2009, 05:29 PM »
I have a 2008 grizzly 700 EFI with power steering. Works great, plenty of rack room, starts evertime, not bad on fuel. I have ITP Mud lite tires and use diamond style chains so the chains do not go between the treads. Chains on the rear only. Dealer told me that it would put alot of preasure on the front end. Haven't had a problem yet.
Every man is perceived a wise man, until they speak

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2009, 05:32 PM »
Ford Ranger, Ford Explorer, Chevy Tahoe or Suburban.

Any one of those will go on the ice when the snow isn't too deep (just like a ATV) plus it gets more use during non-fishing outtings!

When the snow/slush is too deep for an ATV or one of the above, a good snowmobile is the ticket.

MD

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 2009, 06:02 PM »
Now that you mention it, I have an F250 Super Duty. I guess I had to have some way to get the ATV to the lake. I like about 14 inches of good solid ice before the Super Duty goes out and then I'm never the first one on the ice.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 02, 2009, 08:13 PM »
Ford Ranger, Ford Explorer, Chevy Tahoe or Suburban.

Suburban?  Like this one?

This was our first time driving on ice and we got 8" of snow after we set up.  Thank goodness for a GPS with track/trail turned on.  It was nice knowing we could follow the trail back and go out exactly the same way we came in.  And in a white out too!!

-Jeff

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2009, 05:11 AM »
Got an 08 Cam am 2 up 800 LTD model. No problems with it but definitely recommend chains in the rear and front. Also a winch is nice.
When towing a hard side, drop down to low gear even though you can pull it in high. Saves the belt.

Good luck,
JIGGIN.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2009, 10:20 AM »
I will also attest to the reliability of a Polaris.  Mine is an '07 800 EFI.  Nearing 1K miles now with no issues.  Great power, TRUE 4X4, starts every time, nothing left for me to want from a machine.  It started at -37 with no hesitation.  Part of that is Polaris runs a 0W synthetic oil.

It does miss one thing from your criteria... There is no pull start rope.  You do have to rely on the battery.  Mine is still on the factory battery and is very strong. 

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Nov 17, 2009, 07:36 PM »
The 500 cc Polaris machines have a tug rope. I start mine with the rope for tickles and giggles sometimes. ;)

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2009, 04:31 PM »
The 500 cc Polaris machines have a tug rope. I start mine with the rope for tickles and giggles sometimes. ;)

I hate pull starting my machine, it's only a 400 too.  Glad I finally got off my butt and got a new battery for it.  I had only been running it for about 8 months with a dead battery.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2009, 04:50 PM »
My 500 polaris never took more than 2 pulls regardless how cold it was or how long it sat outside. Mines been all over the country from mudding to riding rivers to 12,000 feet up in the rockies and has never missed a beat yet. 2000 500 Magnum.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 22, 2009, 08:25 AM »
i have a 2001 artic cat 500 automatic very nice, and tough,has pull rope liquid cooled  has never left me walking

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 22, 2009, 01:18 PM »
I run an 08 Honda Rubicon.  Works very well.  Extremly reliable machine.

Offline fingerlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If It Smells Good---> EAT IT !! !!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 27, 2009, 01:31 PM »
Its not necesarilly the bigger machines but the newer machines that do NOT come with the backup pull-start rope.  Reason being is EFI (electronic fuel injection).  Machine wont run if it aint getting fuel...no battery power no fuel no run so an auxillery pull start is pointless. 
Mine is 2008 grizzly 700EFI liquid cooled.  Starts like a champ with below 0 windchills...belt never even dreams of slipping...pulls deer, fish houses, facecords of wood, plows snow, hauls waterfowl decoys, pulled a chevy cavalier out of a snowy ditch, diff lock is easy to use great feature.  Also charges Vex/aquavu batteries right on the ice if need be.  Battery fears solved by bringing along a jump box on the ice.  My wife drives it as much as i do and she can handle it easily.  2 Big men ride it easily together..handles very nice.  Been a grizzly owner for 11 years now (this is my second one) with almost 6000 miles on my first one never once needing to go to a repair shop.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #22 on: Nov 27, 2009, 07:01 PM »
Its not necesarilly the bigger machines but the newer machines that do NOT come with the backup pull-start rope.  Reason being is EFI (electronic fuel injection).  Machine wont run if it aint getting fuel...no battery power no fuel no run so an auxillery pull start is pointless.

That may not be completely true.  Many EFI sleds still have a pull start, as well as electric.  They have a battery-less EFI throttle body.

Offline Lostboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 27, 2009, 10:21 PM »
Battery fears solved by bringing along a jump box on the ice.

Yuppers... that's my plan to bring a portable jump box with me (thought of that one on my own :thumbsup: ). I'm 99.99% positive I'll be going with the Can-Am Outlander Max (2-Up) 650 XT package.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 28, 2009, 11:44 AM »
Yuppers... that's my plan to bring a portable jump box with me (thought of that one on my own :thumbsup: ). I'm 99.99% positive I'll be going with the Can-Am Outlander Max (2-Up) 650 XT package.

A big money machine.... those rotax engines are awesome though, if I had that kind of money, that's what I would have gone with.

Offline Lostboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 28, 2009, 02:28 PM »
60hp from a 650cc

Offline NORRM

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see fish lurking about the chilly depths!!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2009, 07:50 AM »
One that works and starts with no heardaches. Go for dependability ;)2
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day
Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in his shanty all day and drink BEER!!

Offline chrism

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 22, 2009, 10:43 AM »
I cant agree more with Dependability. If you are in the boonies, it HAS to start.
I have a Suzuki KQ700. Lots of power to tow shanty's, has a pull start (with EFI, and yes, I have used it many times in the winter when the battery wont do it) and is very reliable. My friend has a couple of Cat's, and it is the same (exact) engine but different frame and such

There are many brands. Myself, I looked at which ATV's required a lot of maintenance or prone to mechanical issues. Do a internet search, the info is all there. If it was unreliable or high maint, I X-'d it off my list. I was left with a few picks, and went with the Suzuki because I got the wickedest deal on it. No regrets whatsoever. 3200miles on it so far. My friends run Grizz's, and they work great, but I can only comment truthfully on my bike, and it has never let me down. I run full Synthetic in the diffs and engine, have a batt maintainer, and went to a hotter plug. Has always started, even at -30, except for the two times I plowed an ice rink and shut off the machine with an almost dead battery... a few pulls on the cord and she started right up!

Regardless of brand, treat it right and it will treat you right. My advice? Pick a brand thats suits your needs, and then get the biggest you can afford, but dont forget about the extras!

Offline diabetik11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 24, 2009, 11:08 PM »
i like our polaris sportsman, i think it is the 700

Offline NORRM

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see fish lurking about the chilly depths!!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 26, 2009, 06:16 PM »
just one more word on dependability  HONDA ;D
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day
Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in his shanty all day and drink BEER!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.