Author Topic: SHAPPELL FX100I. FIRST GLANCE! (UPDATED)  (Read 51012 times)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: SHAPPELL FX100I. FIRST GLANCE! (UPDATED)
« Reply #330 on: Jan 07, 2019, 07:57 AM »
yep, call them. don't wait for them to call you ever.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #331 on: Jan 07, 2019, 05:03 PM »
Just got off the phone with customer service apparently my folding braces have shipped. I asked about the wind bars he said they were told they received them but don't know where they are, then he said they may just have to go to the machine shop tomorrow and whip some up for me and send them out. When I asked about the new tent he said Wandee will be out at the assembly plant in Missouri at the end of the month and they should know more about new tents or parts at that point. RIght now they haven't heard anything about a new run of the tents and he doesn't know anything about the prototypes.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #332 on: Jan 08, 2019, 11:14 PM »
If I'm reading this correctly they are basically saying the tents are what they are and whoever buys them can deal with it after they get the "new" tub. I have the new tub and it didnt help the fit at all. I sent an email back I'm hoping they arent just giving up on this round of shelters but wouldn't know till they respond.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #333 on: Jan 09, 2019, 05:45 AM »
LOL...Eagle Claw is so disorganized and incapable to handle this FX100i problem, it's almost funny. With the computer age using a bar code and they can't locate parts! How about a tracking number for the package from UPS or USPS! Please Eagle Claw, hire someone that knows what their doing, because it's very clear after dealing with all the problems with the FX100i for MONTHS the person in charge in incapable of doing his job. I'm feeling sorry for the guys that own the FX100i that have to deal with all the problems! Please Eagle Claw, remove the word Shappell from your business name and all of your products because you're embarrassing the previous owners.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #334 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:42 AM »
If I'm reading this correctly they are basically saying the tents are what they are and whoever buys them can deal with it after they get the "new" tub. I have the new tub and it didnt help the fit at all. I sent an email back I'm hoping they arent just giving up on this round of shelters but wouldn't know till they respond.

Keep us posted on his response, I was going to email him today, but I’ll wait until I hear what’s he says to you. I’m going to be a little upset if they aren’t going to do anything with the tent fitment.

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #335 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:21 AM »
Man, am I glad I decided to return mine when I did. It sucks you guys are still dealing with these issues this far into the ice season. Hopefully you have other shelter options, so you can at least still fish.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #336 on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:35 AM »
Here's the response.

Seems odd to me that on production runs of low balling say 2000 units that only some would be loose, seems like most or all that have gotten one here have problems. How they cant come up with a fix, OR open some boxes and test fit them over a frame till they find one that is tight and send it to those of us that have issues. Or maybe send a few to an upholstery shop or seamstress and have them sewn correctly for the "some tents" that have this issue. They are gonna have to eat the cost one way or another. They already admitted there is a big enough issue though that they had to "make" windbars even though they don't know where they are... even though they were made in house. Lol

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #337 on: Jan 09, 2019, 10:00 AM »
i think everyone that got the lemon black bar fx100i should send them back.let them know  its a screw up a needs changes before putting a cobble up mess on the market.then take forever getting people parts that might work and doesn't sound like eagle claw  even has that figured out.i doubt I will ever have another shappell shelter now that eagle claw is running it.shappell was my most liked brand in ice shelters...you guys waiting on parts are very patient. sounds like eagle claw are beating around the bush.unsure how to remedy the situation and tell you what you want to hear to simmer it down.jmo

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #338 on: Jan 09, 2019, 10:30 AM »
Has anybody else reviewed this on Sportsman's Guide?  I start to write a review and then it pops up that I need a username and password to login to be able to review. I don't remember my info but I've honestly never wanted to review something more. I've got an hour car ride ahead of me today that I may just spend reviewing this on every website I can.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #339 on: Jan 09, 2019, 10:52 AM »
Here's the number for SG's corporate office. 1-651-451-3030 that gets you to  the receptionist then just asked for the ice fishing buyer I just left a voicemail and asked for a callback about the EagleClaw/Shappell fx100i. I'm sure they have other returns and are realizing this product isn't right. At this point I'll try to save others the hassle of dealing with this product. Hopefully they don't screw up the other tents changing them to be like this black bar version.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #340 on: Jan 09, 2019, 11:52 AM »
I don’t like the direction this is heading, I was under the impression that the issues would be taken care of no questions asked. I bought mine from bass pro and am now out of the no hassle return time frame. Is the shanty functional? Yes, it will work. My main problem aside from the bad hinges is that the fishable space is cut down drastically from what it should be because of the tent sag, not even mentioning that some of the velcro attachments from the tent to the frame are so tight when flipping it over that they will rip eventually....this is going from a bad dream to a nightmare

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #341 on: Jan 09, 2019, 12:14 PM »
Why can't you guys adjust the tent fabric to make it snug?  Seems like you are not going to get satisfaction from Eagle Claw.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #342 on: Jan 09, 2019, 12:29 PM »
Why can't you guys adjust the tent fabric to make it snug?  Seems like you are not going to get satisfaction from Eagle Claw.

As far as I can tell there is no way to adjust it to the point where it will make a difference. My rear and sides seem ok, other than the tight spots on the Velcro attachment. The zipper door on the front of mine sags in probably 5” if I was going to guess, there is nothing to change as far as attaching the tent to the frame there, there is just too much fabric. Supposedly the new hinges are going to help tighten it up but I’ve personally been waiting for about 6 weeks for the new ones

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #343 on: Jan 09, 2019, 12:51 PM »
As mistertwister said it's screwed. I can't come up with a good way to fix it short of cutting out the front seams and resewing it. Longer tubes wouldnt do it,  a new bracket wouldn't help, pulling the whole fabric back more doesnt do it. It's just sewn incorrectly. Them saying the tub was the issue is absurd, there is no way the tub holes would adjust anything close to this much slop.

I'd call Basspro and tell them the issues you've had maybe even send them to this link, hopefully they will take it back to keep your patronage. And don't forget to review it to keep others from having the same issues.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #344 on: Jan 09, 2019, 12:58 PM »
Back to reality with this issue.. been away for awhile with Christmas and a long vacation, which definitely lacked fishing but also gave me a chance to not think about my fx100i ha.  I recieved the wind bars right before Christmas but for a number of reasons and then vacation haven't even tried them. I'll be pulling the shelter out tonight but regardless with peccavi's updates I don't really see a permanent fix coming and probably best to cut my losses before this drags on longer and attempt to return the shelter. Should have listened to the S/O and returned it when I first found issues.. But I also thought that was her trying to get me to own one less shelter..   ::) ;)

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #345 on: Jan 09, 2019, 01:25 PM »
Should have listened to the S/O and returned it when I first found issues.. But I also thought that was her trying to get me to own one less shelter..   ::) ;)

Lol, sound like my wife. My wife hates this shelter she's been telling me since I got it to return it. She wants it out of the den. I told her once its complete it'll head to camp. She's even offered more money to buy a shelter that works.

On that note what other single person shelters are light weight and have the larger fishable area?

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #346 on: Jan 09, 2019, 01:38 PM »
Lol, sound like my wife. My wife hates this shelter she's been telling me since I got it to return it. She wants it out of the den. I told her once its complete it'll head to camp. She's even offered more money to buy a shelter that works.

On that note what other single person shelters are light weight and have the larger fishable area?
Take the money and upgrade!! Haha

I spent a lot of time searching for a lightweight one man and this was the best I had found.  Not sure where to look next either.  Clam kenia pro had my interest but heard the sled pulls heavy. Otter makes a top notch one man but out of my price range.  Eskimo wide one looks sweet but heavy.  I'm at a stand still, guess I should just focus on trying to return it first..

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #347 on: Jan 09, 2019, 01:46 PM »
Take the money and upgrade!! Haha

I spent a lot of time searching for a lightweight one man and this was the best I had found.  Not sure where to look next either.  Clam kenia pro had my interest but heard the sled pulls heavy. Otter makes a top notch one man but out of my price range.  Eskimo wide one looks sweet but heavy.  I'm at a stand still, guess I should just focus on trying to return it first..

Same list I had originally too. Only other one was the Clam legend xl but I already have the Fx200 that isn't to far off from it. I just got Striker gear this year maybe I'll wait till next year use this money and sell my QF3i and hope Otter has a lightweight offering. I'm not a huge Clam fan, I feel alot of their stuff breaks quickly. ALTHOUGH CLAM STUFF DOES SHOW UP IN USABLE CONDITION.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #348 on: Jan 09, 2019, 01:49 PM »
As far as I can tell there is no way to adjust it to the point where it will make a difference. My rear and sides seem ok, other than the tight spots on the Velcro attachment. The zipper door on the front of mine sags in probably 5” if I was going to guess, there is nothing to change as far as attaching the tent to the frame there, there is just too much fabric. Supposedly the new hinges are going to help tighten it up but I’ve personally been waiting for about 6 weeks for the new ones
what if the bars going to over the door were longer and you didn't attach the velcro? you might be able to make a conduit to fit it. it's cheap like 5$ for 10 feet.
easy way to know is take one off the bracket by the seat and remove the velcro and push on it while it's closed to see what it does in that corner. then try the other side. i think it should work although the door may not be usable until they release the updated tent.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #349 on: Jan 09, 2019, 05:08 PM »
It tightens it up a hair by lifting it but at the same time it pulls on the sides and still doesnt fix it.

Offline fallguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #350 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:36 PM »
Hi there,
I posted a couple days ago saying I decided to go with the fx200i. I've had several shelters and I have to say I really like the fx200i. Granted it's my first thermal and it HAS the original conduit hoops.
Have you guys tried putting a weight on the front hoop holding it to the floor, attach the velcro and then tighten the fabric back under the trim?

Apparently Eagle Claw can screw up a wet dream.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #351 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:48 PM »
Mak's Bait Shack in Dubuque, IA has these on sale - they offer assembly so you know you'll have one that is good out of the box, maybe lol

https://www.facebook.com/BaitShackThe/
HUGE SAVINGS!!! The lack of cold weather means crazy deals. Matt needs to move his remaining ice tents so get ready: Shappell FX100I- $210.00, FX150- $260.00, FX200- $270.00, FX200I-$350.00 and DLX4000- $330.00. Also on the block- Jiffy 46X-treme- $440.00!! Only 2 left of each model so please SHARE this post so they move quickly!!

You guys have way more patience than I - I would have shipped that crap back to Shappell/Eagle Claw COD and demanded a new working one be sent to me.

Catchin' Fish

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #352 on: Jan 09, 2019, 10:40 PM »
I am super level headed and have a ton of patience, this is pushing the extent of how much I can wait though. At first I thought they were trying to fix it, then it became comical, now its just annoying.

So I got home from work a few mins ago, got a package from Eagleclaw/Shappell, thinking folding braces and hoping the windbars are in there. Nope another set of seat riser bars... lol **censored**? They already sent me one spare months ago.

Has anyone seen these new and improved folding braces yet?

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #353 on: Jan 10, 2019, 08:45 AM »
Nope another set of seat riser bars... lol **censored**? They already sent me one spare months ago.

Between a few of us we soon might have enough spare parts to build an entirely new shelter!

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #354 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:28 AM »
Between a few of us we soon might have enough spare parts to build an entirely new shelter!

I still need the parts to build the first before I can work on a spare. LOL

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #355 on: Jan 10, 2019, 02:18 PM »
I still need the parts to build the first before I can work on a spare. LOL

Lol fair.  I was thinking along the lines after the orginal shelter is returned  all the extra sleds, canvases,  seat posts etc they have sent to people trying to fix this.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #356 on: Jan 10, 2019, 03:22 PM »
Lol fair.  I was thinking along the lines after the orginal shelter is returned  all the extra sleds, canvases,  seat posts etc they have sent to people trying to fix this.
and still end up with a eagle claw/shappell frankenshelter..lol.i don't like putting eagleclaw and shappell in the same sentence.shappell was a fine shelter building co. just a few years ago.

Offline jsl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #357 on: Jan 13, 2019, 07:55 PM »
I ordered a fx100 before reading all this. Now I have reservations about picking it up. They said the setup was the same as the fx100i. This is a shame. It sounds like eagle claw is ruining shappells good name. Should have never sold my old fx100

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #358 on: Jan 20, 2019, 08:25 PM »
Well the fx100i is gone, just dropped it off at FedEx. Still suprised I held out hope this long but no more! Last straw was after the holidays emailing the shappell contact and getting no updates/surprised one of the parts never got shipped. I had liked to think they wanted to help and get things fixed but most of us have been talking to them since around Thanksgiving and I think I was one of the only ones here that even received windbars, never the bracket though.  From when I was told the windbars and brackets were done in Dec. everyone should have received them by now. Seems like disorganization between warranty dept and engineers.

Sportsmans guide was, like always, pleasant to work with and made the return very easy and free!

Not sure what I'll be getting for a one man shelter now but after this quality product's is even more important to me.

Offline sparky13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #359 on: Jan 28, 2019, 08:24 PM »
Of course I found this thread after I already ordered one.  Is this issue with all units or just select ones?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.