Author Topic: Considering a custom rod  (Read 628 times)

Offline bigfish54

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for this!!!!!
Considering a custom rod
« on: Dec 01, 2016, 07:06 PM »
Hello, I have been panfish fishing for several years and am looking into a custom rod. If anyone has suggestions I would like to here from you, I'm considered a 24-28 inch noodle rod for panfish because I usually fish in a shelter.  Thanks bigfish

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Considering a custom rod
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2016, 07:17 PM »
Makes a great stick and stands behind it 100%.
https://m.facebook.com/Brickers-Custom-Rods-241606165862684/

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2016, 07:55 PM »
Likely a bit of a Ford v Chevy debate as I know many of the custom builders do fantastic work and really it's about who offers the features you're looking for. I have a couple different models from Thorne Bros for panfish and walleye and have nothing but positives to say about them.

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2016, 08:03 PM »
There's going to be a ton of different opinions on this, mostly because any custom you buy you are going to love. This leads to everyone recommending the rod they bought. With that said the TUCR Bullwhip, DH customs Al Dente and Thorne Bros power noodle are three rods I think that you would enjoy no matter which you pick.

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2016, 08:16 PM »
I love my DH Al Dente, caught anything from a small perch to 23" cut bow no problems.

Offline bigfish54

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for this!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2016, 08:22 PM »
Thanks for the fast replies, but for inside a shelter is 24-28 a good size or can I go to a 30-32 length? I'm fishing in a clam nanook and like I said I'm fishing panfish with the occasional bass or pickerel.

Offline gunnerdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2016, 09:11 PM »
I have 3 Brickers rods.  Love them.  Just remember if you can buy them in a store they are not really custom anymore.  Adam makes each one for the customer.
Gunnerdog

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2016, 09:22 PM »
Thanks for the fast replies, but for inside a shelter is 24-28 a good size or can I go to a 30-32 length? I'm fishing in a clam nanook and like I said I'm fishing panfish with the occasional bass or pickerel.
I'd stick with a 24-26" rod in a flip.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline bb400guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2016, 09:34 PM »
I have a Clam Nanook, I drill two holes next to the seat, these are the holes we use 24" rods for.  I also drill two holes a little further ahead and these holes we dead stick with 32"-34" rods left in rod holders mounted to the Nanook.  It works, but when standing you have to be aware not to lift the rod past shoulder height.     
How long is a piece of string?

Offline bigfish54

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for this!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2016, 09:47 PM »
I definitely will be dead sticking this season in my nanook, I already mounted the rod holders  ;D

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2016, 07:12 AM »
Here is something I posted on thread a few months ago

I have a DH Customs Al Dente, TUCR Precision Noodle and TUCR Bullwhip. All 3 are significantly different. The Dh Customs is the thinest and most sensitive, the Precision Noodle has more backbone and very close in sensitivity at the tip and the Bullwhip has the most backbone while still being pretty sensitive at the tip.

If you're looking for something with a solid backbone, stick with the TUCR rods. if you're fishing light weight jigs with 2lb test, the DH Customs would give you the fastest tip

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2016, 08:35 AM »
Any decent rod maker should be able to make whatever you need, Rod action and sensitivity it isn't dependent on one specific builder. Another nice thing about  Adams rods is he  builds rods with interchangeable blanks. I can have one Rod with three different actions.

Offline bigfish54

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for this!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2016, 05:38 PM »
Thanks for all of the recommendations I decided to order a Thorne brothers power noodle, the only problem iis I'm really considering ordering a dead stick as well ;D. Thanks again for the great info, now we just need ice  :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2016, 09:22 PM »
Thanks for all of the recommendations I decided to order a Thorne brothers power noodle, the only problem iis I'm really considering ordering a dead stick as well ;D. Thanks again for the great info, now we just need ice  :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:
2X
Thanks for all of the recommendations I'm buying a blank for my deer horn dropper.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.