Author Topic: Dead stick techniques  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Marrott01

• IceShanty Rookie
Dead stick techniques
« on: Jan 11, 2020, 05:55 AM »
Heading back to Strawberry Sunday, looking for other methods of dead sticking while I look after my young kids first time on the ice. Usually I'm set up 25-40' away from my jigging rod and flasher and pace back and forth quite a bit to keep an eye on it. Ive tried jawjackers but it wasnt setting the hook well enough and lost alot of fish. Are bobbers a better way to go?
Remember the less you catch, the more there is to get.

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
Re: Dead stick techniques
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2020, 06:51 AM »
Heading back to Strawberry Sunday, looking for other methods of dead sticking while I look after my young kids first time on the ice. Usually I'm set up 25-40' away from my jigging rod and flasher and pace back and forth quite a bit to keep an eye on it. Ive tried jawjackers but it wasnt setting the hook well enough and lost alot of fish. Are bobbers a better way to go?
Tough to dead stick if you cant give 100% attention to the rod..
Personally I'd try a tip up or two... you can pay attention to your kiddo and when you see the flag go off itll give added excitement to the day and help keep the interest going

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2020, 06:54 AM »
Tough to dead stick if you cant give 100% attention to the rod..
Personally I'd try a tip up or two... you can pay attention to your kiddo and when you see the flag go off itll give added excitement to the day and help keep the interest going

X2
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2020, 08:33 AM »
If your missing fish on the jackers just down size the jig. I would keep using them for sure. Best thing to use for dead sticks imo
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Marrott01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2020, 04:29 PM »
Great advice on lightening the jig, imma give that a go and report back. Thx!
Remember the less you catch, the more there is to get.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2020, 12:53 PM »
Depending on your pole and line combo, you’ll have better luck with jackers if you switch things up a bit. For instance if you’re in 20 feet of water, have a noodle rod in your jacker, and 4 lb mono, you don’t have a lot there to set the hook. Whereas if you have a stout pole with some braid you’ll have a lot better hook up percentage.

I usually fish in a straight line from shallow to deep water. Jig the deepest pole and look back towards shore over the rest of my sets with the jacker being furthest away and set the shallowest allowing for better hook sets.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2020, 02:16 PM »
Maybe try a lighter hookset also.you may be pulling the hook rite out of there mouths.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.