Author Topic: smelt for trout  (Read 3201 times)

raleigh

smelt for trout
« on: Jan 28, 2004, 09:29 PM »
I have done the power bait thing. I have done the worm thing(nightcrawlers)(wax worms)(millies). I have tryed minnows. All thoes work good for trout. But today i went out and bought some smelt. I figured i would go out tomarrow and give that a try. Do i have a good chance with catching trout on smelt ?

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
Re:smelt for trout
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2004, 03:00 PM »
That's what they say. Smelt make up a good portion of the Laker diet until they actually eat all the smelt in the lake, then they turn on something different. You should do well if there is a population of smelt in the lake you will be using them on. The Trout will be on the lookout for them. Otherwise it may be so-so.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: smelt for trout
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2004, 11:11 AM »
all I fish for usually is lake trout and all I use is smelt. I have been doing very well this year on hitting them. I try to get them on the medium size, with an occasional larger one to try to get the BIG one. Hope this helps you.

o2rmk800

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2004, 08:31 PM »
I USE BIG SMELT ON A SZ. 4 HOOK FOR LAKERS AND SMALL(PIN) SMELT FOR BROOKIES. IVE CAUGHT 24IN. BROOKIES ON 6-7IN SMELT THOUGH. DONT USE SHINERS UNLESS I CANT GET SMELT.

Offline Jimmy The Jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2004, 09:28 PM »
smelt are one of the best baits around for trout.I fish littleville Res. in huntington and catch and use smelt for bait.and do well for rainbows/browns.                     

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2004, 03:00 AM »
Most times the only thing that I use for lakers are smelt. When I am cleaning the lakers I catch they are filled with smelt.

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2004, 10:20 AM »
 Hands down smelt is the best laker bait, but unfortunately on the KING which is really the only place i fish smelt is illegal to use.  :-\
Jason

NAD42

« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2004, 08:10 PM »
Hands down smelt is the best laker bait, but unfortunately on the KING which is really the only place i fish smelt is illegal to use.  :-\
kingfisher16...don't forget about 'that', other bait... :-X

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2004, 06:20 AM »
Raleigh - what kind of trout are you talking about, and do you have any idea what their natural forage is?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.