Author Topic: Where Legal, Try Ciscos For Pike  (Read 3235 times)

DipLip

Where Legal, Try Ciscos For Pike
« on: Jan 13, 2004, 08:56 AM »
Lake herring/cisco/tulibee are often the key to growing big gamefish in lakes where they occur. Pike, muskies, walleyes, lake trout and smallmouths all grow really big eatting these silvery scrappers. They're also great sport on panfish tackle.

Rigged under a wind-activated tip-up, they're my go-to for magnum northerns. In ON, you must check the Regulations to make sure their use is legal. It's pretty much the same with the DNR stateside.

Here's some pics from last wknd, harvesting ciscos for the smoker (awesome) and for the Quick-Strike!

Offline Jocko

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Eyes Giant Eyes!
Re: Where Legal, Try Ciscos For Pike
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2004, 11:38 AM »
I started catching ciscoes this year while fishing for smelt.  Haven't tried under a tip up yet, but I could see where they wouldn't be much different than using the smelt for bait.  They do provide good action on the light gear.

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2004, 12:33 PM »
Hey Dip Lip those are some great pics hey do you have any pics that show how to properly rig ciscoes for a tip-up?I sure would like to try that this winter.

trapperdirk

« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2004, 11:28 PM »
Ciscoes are an awesome bait and even big walleye forage on them . They now no longer allow them to be used in Algonquin Park here because in combination with the gorge hook rig they were deadly and too many lake trout monsters were caught . The Park is closed to icefishing but we use them in other lakes especially if your hunting a true trophy northern or laker .

Offline Pax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2004, 08:45 AM »
The ciscoes do not even need to be that big.  They tend to work better than smelt for me on most occassions.  6 - 10 inchers are perfect for northerns up to 20 lbs.  A little weight inside to hang them level and a treble or quick strike rig works great.

NAD42

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2004, 04:00 PM »
Ciscoes are an awesome bait and even big walleye forage on them . They now no longer allow them to be used in Algonquin Park here because in combination with the gorge hook rig they were deadly and too many lake trout monsters were caught . The Park is closed to icefishing but we use them in other lakes especially if your hunting a true trophy northern or laker .
Ain't that the truth!!

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2004, 04:12 PM »
one of my go to baits for big pike too, dead ciscoes and perch on tip ups can't be beat.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2004, 05:57 PM »
Have used them all my biggest Hybrids have come on live fallfish and dead golden shiners top out was 26 lbs. New York Rules !!!
Mr.Esox

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2004, 02:42 PM »
Can you catch ciscos in Mischigan??
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.