Author Topic: Big Bait  (Read 1917 times)

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
Big Bait
« on: Jan 07, 2005, 02:23 PM »
I have some big bait suckers and shiners. What is the best way to clip their tails so i don't get any bait flags?

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
Re: Big Bait
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2005, 09:18 PM »
the only thing clipping fins does is add some sent to the water and makes the bait swim more erratic.  the fish love this.....

If you fish with big baits or are going to try fishing with big baits and are worried about false flags, here is what i do on all my big bait tip-ups.  I use polar tipups (both thermals and original) that have T-bars that hold the flag down.  All I do to prevent false flags is wind a rubber band around the notched side of the t-bar to create more of a lip for the flag to have to be pulled across.  I also use this method when i am using regular sized baits for bass and pickerel and perch when there is alot of wind blowing across the ice. 

this can be done to the wooden old-fashion tip-ups also all you have to do is tie the rubberband or wind it onto the arm that holds the flag. 

If you dont have rubber bands you can also tighten the nuts found just below the spool of your tip-ups or the nut that is at you T-bar.

You can also smack the sucker lightly on the ice to stun it and it will quiver under the ice.

Good luck,

JiggerMan

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline suckerbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2005, 11:59 AM »
I don't like to clip the fins on my bait. If the fish are active I want the sucker or shiner as lively as possible to attract fish to my bait. If I feel the fish are sluggish then I go to dead bait on the bottom. I fish polar ht tipups and use a downrigger release that is attached to the main frame of the tipup. I can adjust the tension where I want it. The bait can not trip the flag, but a fish can very easily with very litle resistance. On the standard crossbar wooden tipups a clothespin screwed in below the spool works great. Set the trap as normal then bring the line into the clothespin. Bait can't trip the flag, but a fish can with very little resistance. If you need more details just pm me.

NAD42

« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2005, 07:25 PM »
the deader the better...my .02...........right on the bottom.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2005, 11:17 PM »
I read somewhere in In Fisherman that using a downrigger release clip somehow solves this problem. Unfortunately I cannot remember the specifics. I will look for them and post them when I find them.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2005, 11:10 AM »
Thanks for the help.

MikeThePike

« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2005, 09:12 AM »
I also use downrigger release clips when using jumbo shiners or suckers for bait. I have them screwed into the main frame of the tip up & hanging down via a 6in steel leader. Nice to be able to adjust the tension for the trip without the predator having to constantly pull out a hard set drag.

Set the downrigger clips a little tighter & fish with circle hooks and by the time you get to the flag the hook has already been set & you just have to pull the fish in.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.