Author Topic: Live minnows  (Read 4306 times)

Offline reelmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Live minnows
« on: Dec 13, 2004, 12:29 PM »
I have never used livees before but how does everyone keep them alive in the bitter cold. Do they come in a special package or something?????? ??? ;D Definately considering for the next outing
YOu can only get skunked so many times before you have to shower, Peeeeuuuuw

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Live minnows
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2004, 01:06 PM »
 RM, i bought a Frabill Sit and Fish because of hte foam minnow bucket inside, the minnows seem to hold up pretty good inside of it, my thinking is because the foam is relatively thick (1-1.5" or so) and the bucket is on the outside it keeps them pretty protected from the elements.
Jason

hali-man

« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2004, 01:10 PM »
If your bait won't stand the cold how are they going to live in ice water?
In the past I have acclimated bait fish to the cold, but this shouldn't be necessary if you buy from a reputable dealer...

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2004, 01:24 PM »
i keep my live minnows in a plain old bucket...fresh purchased live minnows should gradually have ice/snow added to the bucket if you are fishing inside..this will eliminate shock when dropping your freshly hooked minnow from 50 degree water into just above freezing...even though they recover fairly quickly, not much point in having a less than active one on the hook....Grump

PIKEGUY

« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2004, 01:55 PM »
Good point grump. I have never had any trouble keeping them alive. In fact, they seem to do better after they sit in the garage overnight and there's a little ice on the water in the morning. (As long as they get oxygen) my .02

Offline reelmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2004, 10:11 AM »
Lots of good tips here for a rookie. Thanks guys ;D
YOu can only get skunked so many times before you have to shower, Peeeeuuuuw

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2004, 11:00 AM »
They will stay alive pretty well. Even when you have to chip them out. The ones that dont make it are not worthy of being on a hook but make a good snack ;)
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2004, 05:29 PM »
Not legal here in colorado >:(
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2004, 07:39 PM »
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do right slipbob ;)
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2004, 02:41 PM »
they usually do pretty well but if your bucket is freezing up try using a battery powered bubbler.
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

Offline kenyo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2004, 09:55 PM »
I've already had a 6'' square bucket almost freeze solid, and take the live ones out of the middle works good.

ken

Offline FishHawk01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2004, 10:00 PM »
Here in Colorado where it is legal to use minnows below 7000 feet and where there are not specific restrictions.  I keep my minnows in an insulated bucket with the lid on it slows down the freezing quite a bit.  Between trips I keep them in my garage and they keep for weeks (in the summer I put them in the fridge) as long as i check to make sure the ice does not form a block.
A fisherman who marries a woman who hates fishing is a fool!

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2004, 10:20 AM »
they keep real well in the winter in the gargae in just a plain minnow bucket

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2004, 05:37 PM »
I keep mine in the downstairs refrigerator in milkjugs with   the tops cut off. I change the water a couple of times a week. I also use aquarium chlorine eliminator in the fresh water.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2004, 01:03 PM »
Here in Colorado where it is legal to use minnows below 7000 feet and where there are not specific restrictions. 
Dude, your wrong, I must add to this. You cannot use minnows west of the continental divide either, except in I believe navajo reservoir.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.