The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: snow  (Read 4876 times)

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
snow
« on: Dec 08, 2005, 09:12 PM »
if we got 3" on some ponds and we get this snow(6-10"+) and the snow turns to slush and freezes would it be safe with the 3 " of black ice under it  :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
Re: snow
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2005, 09:19 PM »
I was wondering the same thing b/c they 6-10" is gonna prob be heavy snoe that is gonna be alot of weight on the ice :-\

Offline flapjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another season, another reason, to, FISH ON !
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2005, 09:26 PM »
This will be tricky, the coastal guys are going to heavy wet if it stays warm combined with the ocean warmth. Central and West it should be a drier, lighter snow. To tough to guess if 3" of black will be enough, you could lose the black after the snowstorm, melting from the bottom up. Tough call DON"T FISH ALONE!!!, thats all. Be safe out there.
I work all year for this ! PAID TO ICEFISH, GOD BLESS AMERICA !

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2005, 09:34 PM »
"DONT FISH ALONE", good words. I wont fish alone with early ice conditions anyways but this snow is gonna make it that much worse.

Offline Massfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2005, 09:41 PM »
it will probably be light fluffy snow in central mass and with tit getting windy there probaly wont be any snow left on the lakes which will make it safer except where the drifts build up on the lakes you just dont want to be near the drifts
they are saying 40mph for the wind that will definately take care of light fluffy snow and the ice will be fine
I'm a Sucker Slaughterer!!

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2005, 09:59 PM »
it will probably be light fluffy snow in central mass and with tit getting windy there probaly wont be any snow left on the lakes which will make it safer except where the drifts build up on the lakes you just dont want to be near the drifts
they are saying 40mph for the wind that will definately take care of light fluffy snow and the ice will be fine

Forgot about the wind. Good point.

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2005, 10:10 PM »
if the snow blows off the ice that would be awsome i probably could get out next weekend

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2005, 10:17 PM »
Im hoping to get out next weekend as well. I will prohably have to drive tho the bigger ponds around here are still open. :-\

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2005, 10:20 PM »
man i hope the wind blows that snow. weve been really lucky so far i mean to have some ice weeks before christmas is way more then i asked for!
if your not fishing, your not living

Offline troutfinder23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2005, 06:21 AM »
I would like to go this weekend.  (nextweekend I am on call) this stinks I want to get out ther this weekend

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2005, 06:53 AM »
This snow will really do some damage. But, look on the brightside.....the long range forecast calls for Daytime temps in the 20's mid week next week. If everyone can just wait one more weekend, I think we'll be good to go. Be patient and be safe.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline ice nut OFJ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2005, 06:59 AM »
"DONT FISH ALONE", very very wise words, my grandfather never fished alone.. my dad on the other hand..

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2005, 07:16 AM »
Everyone wants to be the first one to say "I was the first one out." But, it's a long season, patience my friends, patience. Common sense is a must......I don't think I've EVER fished alone. This weekend scares me to think that some young buck will venture out onto the ice this weekend.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2005, 07:53 AM »
i dont want to be the first one out ill go out if i see someone out there first or see foot steps in the snow out there and then i will still be checking the thickness as i go out if someone is out there i will ask them how thick the ice is before i step on the lake i realy dony want to go thru for the first time i think it would be kind of cold :D :D :D ;)

Offline BassettBud

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lets Kick This Pig!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2005, 08:15 AM »
If you are planning to fish this weekend.. save your gear and join the local polar bear club instead.. It'll be a lot safer... ;D

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2005, 09:16 AM »
If you are planning to fish this weekend.. save your gear and join the local polar bear club instead.. It'll be a lot safer... ;D

LOL...  great one! 

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2005, 10:36 AM »
snow snow go away, come back sometime maybe in may!!
flag up, tightlines; fish on....   -moose

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2005, 11:37 AM »
i wasnt going to go out this weekend i was planing on next weekend but i dont know now i hope the snow will blow off the ice but got like 7" of snow now and its coming down hard

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2005, 12:45 PM »
Well into rain from Scituate over to Brockton at 1pm

Skippy

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2005, 01:03 PM »
turning back to snow at 2pm

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2005, 01:09 PM »
Just turned back around here too. Its pretty heavy too and building up alot quicker than i thought considering all of the slush.

Offline Massfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2005, 06:00 PM »
13 inches in central mass  and i found a pond with 3 1/2 inches of ice on it so i will be on the hard water tomorrow morning at about 7 just gonna wait till it is a litttle lighter for safeties sake
I'm a Sucker Slaughterer!!

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #22 on: Dec 09, 2005, 10:41 PM »
13 inches in central mass  and i found a pond with 3 1/2 inches of ice on it so i will be on the hard water tomorrow morning at about 7 just gonna wait till it is a litttle lighter for safeties sake

Was there much snow on the ice? Or did alot of it blow off?

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 11, 2005, 08:40 AM »
the snow was melting yesterday and had to of froze up last night and should do the same today did anyone get out this weekend if so what did you get and how much ice did you find out there and is it going to be good for next weekend i need to get out but want to be safe i would like 4-5" so if your going out could you let me no how much ice your finding(dont need to tell me what pond) THANKS

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2005, 09:10 AM »
i went out this morning for 30 minutes till i needed to help out my mom, 2 1/2 inches of ice, held me pretty well but spot wasnt holding any fish, there arnt a lot in there where i went anyways

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 11, 2005, 10:03 AM »
good to hear you got out do u think the ice will be any thicker by the weekend or is the snow going to ruin it all i want to get out the weekend so bad iv been looking at my ice fishing gear for 8 months now and getting tiered of looking at it but not being able to use it ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 11, 2005, 10:22 AM »
u should check some local ponds, the smaller ones should have some decent ice,, by the weekend im pretty sure u should be all set, the snow should melt a little today and then freeze up tonight making some more ice and it supposed to get pretty cold tuesday and wensday so that will help as well.

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 11, 2005, 11:48 AM »
thanks musky-man today is melting Snow here i was just out in a t-shirt and wasn't cold and it'll freeze tonight I'm hoping for 4" by this weekend on some small ponds I'm going to check the pond out in back of blue northern this weekend and fish it hopfully

Offline flagless5

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Any fish down there I havent got a flag all Day
« Reply #28 on: Dec 12, 2005, 08:40 AM »
it will be all set this weeknd dont wrry as long as it stays cold :tipup:

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2005, 06:59 AM »
Rainy sleety mix here in clinton. hope it dont melt down the ice...   i was just out with my new boots....  Rocky Ice Stalkers!!  you should check them out...  1000gr. of thinsulate..  and they have built in ice cleats!!  worked good on the glare ice driveway. will be using them sunday if ice dont take to much of a hit!  ill let ya knwo how they perform!!   tightlines moose
flag up, tightlines; fish on....   -moose

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.