The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: What about the Ice Gator?  (Read 10095 times)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: What about the Ice Gator?
« Reply #60 on: Dec 10, 2013, 06:40 AM »
I have the Ion which i got mid last season for 25% off at Dicks ($375).

Its made by Eskimo, and will accept any strikemaster brand auger. I have personally had a Lazer and Mora on mine.
Last  season i was able to punch 80 (yes 80) holes thru 13in of ice with my 6in mora and still had battery left.

The Gator has a higher RPM, so it will cut faster than the Ion. In the video linked you can see it punches through the ice 4 seconds after the Gator.

If weight is a concern, the Gator is roughly 8-10lbs more than the Ion depending on the auger. With my 6in mora on mine it weighs exactly 20lbs. Thats the same weight as just the head of the Gator.

Customer Service is another concern for many. There have been alot of negative reports about Gator customer Service.
When i got my Ion the battery was faulty, Eskimo had me a new one within a week.

Price is also in favor of the Ion. If you already have a quality hand auger (Lazer, Nils, Finbore) they are pretty close in price (499 vs 539). However if u have to purchase a hand auger the Gator jumps quite a bit. As the Ion is sold in large chain stores, you can also wait to get the on sale as I did at 25% off, making is $375 vs 539. Which is a substantial difference to me.

In the end all your getting with the Gator vs the Ion is speed. The trade off for that speed is; heavier, more expensive, bad customer service.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #61 on: Dec 10, 2013, 07:01 AM »
Sure am!  Old one still going strong but upgraded this year for the li ion battery passing old one to the kids!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #62 on: Dec 11, 2013, 10:58 AM »
Anyone try using the Frabill 8" Curved blade auger with the Gator drives? Or have issues when using curved blades on these drives?
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #63 on: Dec 11, 2013, 08:49 PM »
I have the Ion which i got mid last season for 25% off at Dicks ($375).

Its made by Eskimo, and will accept any strikemaster brand auger. I have personally had a Lazer and Mora on mine.
Last  season i was able to punch 80 (yes 80) holes thru 13in of ice with my 6in mora and still had battery left.

The Gator has a higher RPM, so it will cut faster than the Ion. In the video linked you can see it punches through the ice 4 seconds after the Gator.

If weight is a concern, the Gator is roughly 8-10lbs more than the Ion depending on the auger. With my 6in mora on mine it weighs exactly 20lbs. Thats the same weight as just the head of the Gator.

Customer Service is another concern for many. There have been alot of negative reports about Gator customer Service.
When i got my Ion the battery was faulty, Eskimo had me a new one within a week.

Price is also in favor of the Ion. If you already have a quality hand auger (Lazer, Nils, Finbore) they are pretty close in price (499 vs 539). However if u have to purchase a hand auger the Gator jumps quite a bit. As the Ion is sold in large chain stores, you can also wait to get the on sale as I did at 25% off, making is $375 vs 539. Which is a substantial difference to me.

In the end all your getting with the Gator vs the Ion is speed. The trade off for that speed is; heavier, more expensive, bad customer service.

You can get the gator head for $289 from ice gator. Put on a $40 ht hand auger your at $330.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #64 on: Dec 12, 2013, 04:36 AM »
You can get the gator head for $289 from ice gator. Put on a $40 ht hand auger your at $330.

Thats for the lead acid battery, not the Lithium Ion. If you want to compare it to the Ion, I would think people would want the Lithium Battery..
You also still have to buy an adapter and I dont see one for an HT auger.
Not to mention that head alone weighs 27lbs. Put the extender and the auger on and your looking at about 35lbs vs the Ions 21lbs..
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #65 on: Dec 12, 2013, 10:48 PM »
Thats for the lead acid battery, not the Lithium Ion. If you want to compare it to the Ion, I would think people would want the Lithium Battery..
You also still have to buy an adapter and I dont see one for an HT auger.
Not to mention that head alone weighs 27lbs. Put the extender and the auger on and your looking at about 35lbs vs the Ions 21lbs..

So? If a person is just looking at getting in on an electric auger you don't need an ion battery. I believe the mora adaptor works for the ht. If your worried about punching holes, you are better off with a gas.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #66 on: Dec 13, 2013, 07:55 PM »
I use the 8" lazer auger on my gator and that has curved blades works great!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #67 on: Dec 13, 2013, 08:09 PM »
I use the 8" lazer auger on my gator and that has curved blades works great!

Ok thanks! I can't wait to see how it works with the Frabill drill! :clap:
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.