Author Topic: Taxidermy  (Read 1443 times)

Offline buckmanJR86

• Team IceShanty Regular
Taxidermy
« on: Feb 28, 2007, 07:20 PM »
Caught this 6.6 pound bass Tuesday night, and was wondering if anybody knows of the best place toget replicas done. I really want it to come out nice, first fish mounted, and i would like it to come out really good. I remember there being a teaxidermist on this site, anybody know the name of his website?

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Taxidermy
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2007, 07:25 PM »
You have bait shop pictures of the fish, so I guess you killed it. If that is the case, why not do a skin mount and save yourself some $$$$$ ???

Please tell me you didn't fillet it and try to eat it! :sick: :sick: :woot: ;D

Offline buckmanJR86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2007, 07:28 PM »
Big boat live well with a big boat pump. It was relased 25 hours later in the same pond!  :thumbsup:
I was really happy about that. It splashed me as it swam away.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2007, 07:33 PM »
Cool! Who ever you get to do it, look at their work. Not the top 5% of their stuff that hangs in their studio, but the stuff they actualy produce. Ask around, I have seen some real hacks comanding top dollar for their work.

Offline buckmanJR86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2007, 02:34 PM »
Thats why im worried about gettinga relpica. I see some mounts that dont even look like bass.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2007, 05:45 PM »
You might want to check into who does it for In-Fisherman. I believe the guy is in the Brainerd Minnesota area and his work looks truly amazing. I cant remember any details, but I read about it in the In-Fisherman a few years back. The article was about the amazing mounts in their office, and most of them being replicas. Try a thorough search of the web and you might come up with something. I realize that you live far from Minnesota, but I bet this whole thing could be done through the mail or UPS.

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2007, 05:50 PM »
My uncle is a award winning dermist.  He is in Wyoming but it may take a while.  You can't rush perfection.  If you want P.M. me and I will send you his email.  He can send you pics of his work or what ever.

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2007, 08:27 PM »
Taxidermist1 is !

He sent me a few pics of some of his work this summer and it's pretty good .
Not sure how you have that fish stored but I would suggest laying all the fins flat against the fish and put it in a wet towel and freeze .
Good luck and nice catch .

Offline artycat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2007, 11:20 PM »
He doesn't have the fish, he is looking to get a replica. Although, he could prolly find it floating after ice out, I don't know how it is in his state, but here we must relese fish immediately......not after 25 hours in a flippin live well.

Offline Clark A

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2007, 07:03 AM »
Joe Fittante Taxidermy in Antigo Wisconsin is where you want your replica to come from.
www.fittantereplicas.c om

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2007, 10:10 AM »
He doesn't have the fish, he is looking to get a replica. Although, he could prolly find it floating after ice out, I don't know how it is in his state, but here we must relese fish immediately......not after 25 hours in a flippin live well.

Bass are pretty tough, there is a slim chance it is still alive. Any other fish though would be crawdad food by now. Best policy is to catch and release, not catch................. .................. and release. ;D

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2007, 11:44 AM »
Louis Champa in Ely, MN is doing my sons 9 pound bass. Check him out and see what you think.

~ G

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.