Author Topic: Lake Erie trip  (Read 8685 times)

Offline googan7

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Erie trip
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2015, 09:51 PM »
Im actually heading to Oneida sat and Sun we get the eyes there but nothing compares to the size of Erie eyes let me know how you make out

Offline rutnut245

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 15, 2015, 07:03 AM »
Strong, 30 knot winds from the SW predicted for Saturday. Cracks will probably open up. I hope that's all that happens.

Offline michael t

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 15, 2015, 07:48 AM »
LEFTYDEADEYE, I'm a little confused. Head towards Besse but a little north to fish Mouse Isle?

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 15, 2015, 11:04 AM »
Do yourself a favor and stay away from mouse.  Stay to the west side of Catawba altogether.    In the best year it is sketchy.   We fished it one time last year when the current was ripping had to drill a hole 3 feet away for the duecer to see a num. 7 pimple.  Just my opinion.            Mark

Offline jw101033

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 15, 2015, 11:43 AM »
Yea current sux over there and its not rly nessasary to go over there i do plenty good west

Offline rutnut245

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 15, 2015, 03:23 PM »
Just a heads up for anyone not familiar with the Catawba area. If you get on the ice @ the beach @ the State Park head sw -w until you get well past the cliffs. Don't hug the shore line as the ice thickness varies and somebody sticks something every year. As was said before STAY AWAY FROM MOUSE AND THE MILLER DOCKS. We've had thick ice in the western basin that we drove trucks on yet the area east of Mouse was wide open. It may be fishable later but I wouldn't risk it now. And for those that don't already know, NEVER TRAVEL ON AN AIRBOAT PATH.
If you can land on them, the fish have been biting very good the last couple days.

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Well Done is Better than Well Said"(Ben Franklin)
« Reply #36 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:00 PM »
michael T   read my post again. I said I read where some said they were gonna fish near Mouse. Not that I was going to. I said stay away from that place.

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:14 PM »
LEFTYDEADEYE, I'm a little confused. Head towards Besse but a little north to fish Mouse Isle?
Hey googan7,  we have ice on Erie. I will be hitting it from Friday till Monday.  Like I read on another post quys will probably fish around Mouse Is., but like Erie Guy said, that allways has sketchy ice. ODNR put a Range Rover through the ice there last season with record ice. The current is very strong there even during the summer.  I will probably shoot from Catabwa and aim towards Davis Besse but a little more North. Good luck all of you. Be safe and watch where you go.  ;D

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:49 PM »
Well, I've seen my share of sunsets and as long as I am able I will be punching holes in the ice and sneaking up on critters even as I enter my third 20 year span, I am still learning new things. I try not to do it the hard way. Weather, wind, and conditions are something that should be heeded by everyone. If you go on ice,  Erie Ice especially.

One thing I know though, if you follow the crowd it is safer, and if something does come up, you will have some company.
No need for a guide unless you don't have much experience or it you have money to burn. Stay tuned to the ice conditions. If we have weather on par with last year heck the ice cannot move very much. If it is like the prior 20 years, ice can be much more prone to move. Stay tuned to this forum and you will get up to date info. Unless you like to walk a long way, a quad or sled is the way to go.  Just follow the pack and well worn tracks. Hotels are cheap this time of year, there are plenty of them around to handle the tourism of the summer, Put-in-Bay, Cedar point, etc. They need money now.

Offline lcshtsm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 16, 2015, 08:00 AM »
What's the reason for never traveling an airboat path?

Offline OhioMadMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 16, 2015, 08:15 AM »

They are big and heavy. They will go across the ice but will weaken the ice. Thin ice even more so.

Offline lcshtsm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 16, 2015, 08:28 AM »
Oh OK.  Thanks.

Offline rutnut245

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 16, 2015, 07:11 PM »
[/quote
When they bust through the ice pops back up and looks pretty much the same as everything else, especially if you throw in a little wind blown snow. If you walk or driver a machine in it, you're gonna be in BIG trouble. I've seen it happen more than once.

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 16, 2015, 07:40 PM »
That makes a lot of sense Rutnut...

Offline fishindude644

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 16, 2015, 09:48 PM »
*REMOVED*

Offline rutnut245

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 18, 2015, 08:59 PM »
My friends airboat broke through twice on the way in tonight. On another site someone said they almost sunk their gear in a 20' x4' hole. I would assume it was busted by an airboat. Their trail is gonna be hard to spot so be very careful and wait till the sun is up so you can see what's what.

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 19, 2015, 05:01 PM »
Hey, does anyone know the best way to attach a photo?  I may be blind but I have a couple pics from Saturday.

Thanks,

Offline caseihman06

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 19, 2015, 06:39 PM »
Open a photobucket account, post the pic to it and the you copy and paste the link to this page.

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 19, 2015, 07:27 PM »
Thanks,

I will try that... I tried every other way I knew but didnt work

Offline Icetester

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 19, 2015, 08:00 PM »
My friends airboat broke through twice on the way in tonight. On another site someone said they almost sunk their gear in a 20' x4' hole. I would assume it was busted by an airboat. Their trail is gonna be hard to spot so be very careful and wait till the sun is up so you can see what's what.

Was this out of Catawba or further West on the lake? Thanks

Offline jw101033

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 19, 2015, 08:22 PM »
How did the ice hold up after that bit of warm over the weekend

Offline rutnut245

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 19, 2015, 08:32 PM »

Was this out of Catawba or further West on the lake? Thanks

It was out of Catawba. Out again today but didn't bust through.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.