Author Topic: catawba  (Read 19485 times)

Offline RangerTim

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Listen close you can hear them biting
Re: catawba
« Reply #60 on: Feb 10, 2010, 12:43 PM »
Sunset

It is about 2.5 to 3 miles to the Islands from Catawba. At times people have walked across but not in the passed few years, that I know of.  The South Passage as it is called, is some of the most dangerest Ice on the Lake.  There is always a current running between the Island and Mainland and throw some strong wind into the mix, you get my point.

Yes you can take a small plane across or there is an Airboat that runs most days too.  I went on the Airboat last week it takes 5 to10 mins to get to the Island and costs $30 each way. I think you may need reservations for the Airboat if you plan on going.

Offline p.c.icenut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Feb 10, 2010, 04:39 PM »
Right now you would be doing more swimming then walking . There's open water everywhere , AGAIN ! >:(

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Feb 10, 2010, 09:15 PM »
how about a number to this captain of the airboat runnin clients over to the islands! live in n.w. indiana and want to get on some jammer eyes out there and cant wait for april to come around. thanks for any help as me and a buddy are lookin to head out there just for the weekend leave friday night come home on sunday evening. thanks again guys!
Got one goin'!

Offline RangerTim

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Listen close you can hear them biting
« Reply #63 on: Feb 11, 2010, 07:01 AM »
I have a couple of numbers for the Airboat.

419-285-3106  or 419-341-2553

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #64 on: Feb 11, 2010, 10:10 PM »
anything happening off mainland yet?  heard theirs alot of open water between state park and south bass.anyone checked it out?

Offline NorthSouthOhioFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Outdoorsman
Youtube-"Fishing and Fun"

I have a beautiful permanent shanty for sale message me for more info!

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Feb 11, 2010, 10:25 PM »
just trying to figure aplan for sunday and next week. got some free time and need a plan. ???

Offline mojoice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • never met a fish i diddnt like
« Reply #67 on: Feb 12, 2010, 07:41 AM »
 hey guys , last year I was rding out of cattawba and I lost my handheld marine radio. I know its been a year but I wondered If anyone mihgt have picked it up? I would gladly give a reward 4 it as it was one of the last things my mom gave me befor she past away. Im new to this site or I would have posted this right away. Thanks MOJO ???
mojosportfishingexpeir ence.com

Offline crappie lips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Feb 12, 2010, 09:27 AM »
Hi all,
Never fished western basin before. Are there services available that take you and your gear out to the general area they are catching fishing and kind of let you do your own thing and then pick you back up later.
Not really looking for a fully guided trip just access.
Thanks

Offline SparkyToo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Feb 12, 2010, 11:14 AM »
Hi all,
Never fished western basin before. Are there services available that take you and your gear out to the general area they are catching fishing and kind of let you do your own thing and then pick you back up later.
Not really looking for a fully guided trip just access.
Thanks

I would say it's worth your time to fish out of Catawba as soon as the ice cooperates.  I know a guy that does the kind of guided service you are posting about. I'll send you a p.m.
"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Offline crappie lips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Feb 12, 2010, 01:57 PM »
Thanks for the reply,I called Capt Mike and everything he is doing is based off of the Islands right now. The trip would be a full charter plus the cost of airfare round trip per person. Maybe if we get good ice we can leave from mainland and do the kind of trip I'm looking for.
Thanks

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Feb 13, 2010, 09:39 AM »
so i have been callin hardwater charters to see about getting me and three buddies over to the island with our gear and headin out on our own where everyone is fishin at but cant seem to reach anybody to obtain information i have been callin them for 3 days now, no answer no calls back, are they the only ones that shuttle people across or is there anyone else that offers this, i just need me and the gear over there then in afternoon or whenever done, dark what ever it may be i need the lift back. if anyone has any helpfull info i greatlly appreciate it.
Got one goin'!

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Feb 13, 2010, 10:30 AM »
My guess is that they are booked up.  With no ice off the mainland everyone is trying to get to the island.  They are the only airboat service.  You could fly over but are very limited on what gear you can take.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Feb 13, 2010, 10:33 AM »
lmao. so as soon as i clicked "post" the phone rings... it's hardwater charters! they have me setup and ready to go friday when i arrive there. also the lodging, bam taken care of! i guess all i had to do was vent a little, to speed up the process there for a bit i was starting to think it wasnt goin to happen but it is game on now! thanks anyways for the help guys! hey good luck go get ya some fish if ya can do it!

Got one goin'!

Offline td31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Feb 14, 2010, 04:23 AM »
Getting loaded up and ready to roll. Usually hammer the ice off the mainland off Catawba but with the sketchy ice and the baby boy,biting the bullet and paying for it this year . Flying over to the island in a little over an hour(7:45am) hooking up with Capt.Mike for a day of gator slayin. Couldnt sleep at all last night. Ill let u boys know how we did tonight!

Offline Double J

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Put in Bay ice fisherman
« Reply #75 on: Feb 14, 2010, 06:58 AM »
bites been slow past couple days from the guys I spoke with

Offline crappie lips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Feb 16, 2010, 01:39 PM »
OK Erie walleye jiggers, getting close to putting a trip together. How about posting your favorite must have walleye lures out on the ice. Example ,I read from one the sites a #5 swedish pimple w/blue would be a good choice for the old tackle box. Somebody else mentioned Heddon sonars.  Any jigs, spoons, colors, ect. you think the Mrs.'s and I would need would be appreciated. Help me stimulate the local economy with a large tackle purchase! Thanks!

Offline SparkyToo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Feb 16, 2010, 03:08 PM »
OK Erie walleye jiggers, getting close to putting a trip together. How about posting your favorite must have walleye lures out on the ice. Example ,I read from one the sites a #5 swedish pimple w/blue would be a good choice for the old tackle box. Somebody else mentioned Heddon sonars.  Any jigs, spoons, colors, ect. you think the Mrs.'s and I would need would be appreciated. Help me stimulate the local economy with a large tackle purchase! Thanks!

Last time I was out.(Too long ago!!!) Jiggin Rapalas size #5 blue/chrome, Black/Chrome, and the Shiny perch.  I always brings a variety of Swedish Pimples. Good luck- I hope to get out real soon.
"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Offline walgill1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Feb 16, 2010, 05:57 PM »
Has anyone heard where and how Mike Patterson has been doing? I was thinking on hooking up with him this weekend, i understand that he is a very respected ice guide. What do you guys think? Should i wait another week to go?

Offline Fishin2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Feb 16, 2010, 06:41 PM »
Has anyone heard where and how Mike Patterson has been doing? I was thinking on hooking up with him this weekend, i understand that he is a very respected ice guide. What do you guys think? Should i wait another week to go?
I believe Mike is fishing off PIB now. His no is, 419-308-6925. You would just have to call and see where he's fishin at. Take care, and yes, he's a good guide. Mike

Offline shaved ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Feb 17, 2010, 11:21 AM »
                  SURE PUT A TRIP TOGETHER WHEN I CAN'T GO,

Offline TURKEYNECK003

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Feb 18, 2010, 10:02 AM »
Take a # 7 silver and blue, # 7 silver and green and # 5 same colors pimples thats all you need......

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Jan 03, 2011, 10:32 PM »
anybody been by there lately? any reports after that warm spell and south wind?  heard the shove ice got blown out,but has anything refroze.

Offline fishindude644

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:39 AM »
anybody been by there lately? any reports after that warm spell and south wind?  heard the shove ice got blown out,but has anything refroze.

I doubt it.  It's only been 2-3 days and from what i heard the ice was shotty at best before the  thaw.

Take a look >>>>>>>  http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.cgi/modis?region=e&page=1&template=sub&image=t1.11003.1639.LakeErie.143.250m.jpg
*REMOVED*

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Jan 04, 2011, 04:14 PM »
wishful thinkin' i guess :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.