Author Topic: South Bass Island  (Read 16528 times)

Offline Raybob

• Team IceShanty Regular
South Bass Island
« on: Dec 18, 2009, 10:53 AM »
-just a move to help Jumpy out ...he is new to this site, but I follow his posts on WC...

jumpypib
IceShanty Newbie

« Reply #101 on: Dec 17, 2009, 11:11 AM »

I am an ice guide on South Bass Island, today there are a bunch of small chunks starting to form. It wont be long. I am kayaking
off "New Ramp" this afternoon.  Cant wait to walk on water again.

If you jig it they will come!
Fishing w/buds is a fun social event, while Angling is a serious skill-growth rung-climbing event with loads of self-improvement satisfaction w/each step...

Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt!
Ray da sUMo 'Chaser

Offline eyepod.barnes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • catch and release in hot grease
Re: South Bass Island
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2009, 11:01 AM »
nice you gotta love reports from the islands. i cant wait for it to lock up. welcome to IS jumpy
I can't wait for hell to freeze over.... so I can icefish it!!!!

Offline jumpypib

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2009, 11:31 AM »
Thanks a lot. Hope to meet with you guys over a hot hole on a cold day.

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2009, 01:28 PM »
KEEP US POSTED !!! YOU POST IT, WE WILL COME !!!!!!! LOL

Offline jaybird62

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2009, 10:21 PM »
ditto

Offline jumpypib

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2009, 09:39 AM »
Soon.

Offline ICECRAMP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2009, 09:59 AM »
Tuned the quads up yesterday, CANT WAIT !!!!!

Offline CMFISH51

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Corey Miller
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2009, 06:49 PM »
can you PM me some details about your charters???

Thanks
Team Reel Naughty

Offline Double J

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Put in Bay ice fisherman
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2009, 10:31 AM »
anxiously waiting to hit my favorite hole at rattlesnake island

Offline wojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2009, 12:45 PM »
anxiously waiting to hit my favorite hole at rattlesnake island

Yep It will be sooner than later for you islanders !! Looks like Billy maybe shutting down the Miller Boat Line soon ?? Two days in a row of not running ?? Time to Break out the Air boats !  Or Joe's Hovercraft ?

Keep us informed ?

Offline Double J

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2009, 12:52 PM »
does joe still have the hover?rode it once and we spun in circles more than we went straight(windy)i prefer the airboat anyday.glad i got my gear over in time ill bet the ferry is done or close to done for the year

Offline IceBucky

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • DONT SETTLE FIND THE FISH
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2009, 05:40 PM »
Soon.
can u put us on walleye  if so We could use your services

Offline Double J

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:39 PM »
hows the water clarity at pib, anyone know?

Offline firefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2009, 03:25 AM »
My dad was up over the weekend, and saw a boat on the lake. He said he also saw the ferry running. Hope we get a chance to walk on water again this year. Wonder if the wonderful sheriff will grace us with his presence this year... Someone had to stir the turds. Lol

Offline Double J

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2009, 06:35 AM »
miller ferry is shut down

Offline wojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2009, 07:08 AM »
Yep The ice is forming off the west side of south Bass. Someone I knew thought there might even be a few locals going out this weekend. But We will still have a wait to go out from the Mainland ! The forecast does look good !

Offline Double J

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2009, 01:04 PM »
hope we dont get the january thaw could be a nice long season this year.

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2009, 02:22 PM »
Guys,
I know I hate to do this and may piss many dudes off, but let me suggest going up to Saginaw Bay, Mi or around irish hills in Michigan. Seems in the past year or two the islands walleye ice fishing has sucked. I know there has been some good catches on some days but for the money hit Sag. Bay. Before you spend all the cash to get over to PIB or fight the nine million people fishing out of Catawba you can go to Sag Bay for cheaper. Take a few day trip up there this winter you will love it. There are so many places to hit up there and the fishing seems to always be much hotter up there than here and alot less people. That my new hole now. I am talking 15 plus inches of good solid ice with tons of places to leave shore from. monitor www.franksgreatoutdoor s.com for current reports, call them or stop in if you are in the area. They are more than happy to help. Or do a google search for the Mi. DNR weekly fishing report, who unlike Ohio promotes ice fishing and keeps reports current weekly. Or just check out the Sag. Bay forum in the Michigan Reports. Hate to bash the islands b/c I have been born and raised fishing them but it is sure not like it used to be and they have way to many freeze and thaws here and a very short season. Sag Bay wou can fish well into March. PS!!

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2009, 02:48 PM »
Oh yeah they have a few good and very fun ice tournaments up there also.

Offline Papascott

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2009, 03:58 PM »
Doesn't pee me off one bit but to say Saginaw bay is better than the islands is like saying Milwaukee beat is better than heiniken! Been to sag a few times and the only thing that's better is the ice is more predictable n  little thicker usually.

Offline Double J

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2009, 05:35 PM »
I dont mean any disrespect nor want to start a debate but I can say the islands have been excellent for me with the pictures to prove it.not sure where you fish up there but I have had no trouble with limits.08 wasn't as good as 06 and 07 but still is world class fishin.06 and 07 was just plan sick how many 03s a guy could catch.in feb of 06 we were C&R 100 yes 100 walleyes a day for the guys in my group.08 was not like that but still there were days I was throwing back 8# eyes.thanks for the Mi info I may give it a try.imo u cant beat put in bay.good fishin Double J.

Offline Double J

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 31, 2009, 11:15 PM »
happy new year

Offline eyepod.barnes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • catch and release in hot grease
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2010, 06:57 AM »
i cant knock sag because ive never fished it.i would like to try it.IMO its hard  to think that theres anywhere better than erie, guess ill never know until i try it personally.Happy new year ;D
I can't wait for hell to freeze over.... so I can icefish it!!!!

Offline tmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:45 AM »
several of my buddies went up the last couple of years. a few did well and a few came back with their tale between their legs.

Offline Double J

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 01, 2010, 12:54 PM »
went up to sag bay you mean?

Offline tmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 01, 2010, 01:58 PM »
Yes to saginaw

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 01, 2010, 08:40 PM »
Believe me guys, I have been born and raised here and have had jobs making a living off the lake when I was younger. I am saying, add it up. Between flights/airboats, hotels, food and fuel and such a short season, I have been blowing of the erie ice and spending my hard earned dollar a little more wisely. You can easily drop 250 in nothing flat. Sag Bay i can do that for half the cost, have much clearer water and just as good as a bite. I can tell you there has been days where I got good numbers at sag bay and my buddies here did jack! And vice versa. I am just saying for the budget minded person to do it themselves on the cheap to me this is the way to go. There was a guy selling ice hot spot maps of sag bay in years past, which helped us out alot, bc there are many areas to leave from and fish. I dont know if he is still doing though.

Offline Double J

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 01, 2010, 10:01 PM »
given the fact there is no such thing as ''safe ice'' I have experienced much better conditions off pib than i did off catawba st park,so for the past 11 years ive stuck with the islands on my quad and only leave the mainland on my buddies airboat,kosturas airboat or a plane.with that said what are the conditions like at sag?lots of cracks to cross? how far on the quad to walleye water?parking?nonresident license?how deep of water on average do the walleye hold in?just my thoughts that come to mind.i'm sure i can research and find out.plus the first couple trips thers always a learning curve.wouldnt mind adding something new but i'm also guessing its got to be a good 5 hour drive from warren ohio.i can be at the miller ferry dock in 2 hours flat.now i admit that darn island isnt cheap but they know they got ya(food lodging)my savings on the airboat would be lost in fuel to drive 3 more hours.one of my friends towed his airboat up there 2 years ago for the big skunk after he heard the bite was ''on''.long way to go for that.i've been skunked at pib but only 2x that i can think of.i will say we need a good hatch soon the 03s cant carry forever.throw out somemore info i'm interested to hear how the expenses break down.I personally can fish 3 days at pib for 180 to 200 dollars total everything included.Double J.

Offline jumpypib

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 02, 2010, 02:09 PM »
The ice is growing as we speak. As soon as this wind dies, so will the "eyes".
Looking forward to a great season.
This morning there was about 6" off West Shore.
Stinking wind! It really blows!
419-341-8011

Offline Double J

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 02, 2010, 03:53 PM »
looks like nw 20 to 30 with gusts to 40 sunday!hope that doesnt screw up what progress has been made.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.