New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sodus Bay  (Read 38701 times)

Offline GatorNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Sodus Bay
« Reply #150 on: Jan 21, 2018, 04:41 AM »
I’m guessing 1 of the reasons it’s so busy is social media , back in the the day people had to make phone calls to buds or got in their vehicles and drove to check things out , these days it’s all at your finger tips , but this is just my guess 😉

That, and the fishing has been overall poor the past few years, so folks are salivating to get back at them.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #151 on: Jan 21, 2018, 05:31 AM »
This discussion reminds me of an incident a number of years ago. 10 or 12 at least. IceShanty was relatively new back then. I was unloading my stuff in a parking lot at Sodus and wearing my IS hoodie. 2 old farts started bashing me for being one of "those guys". They went on and on about how the website had ruined the fishing on Sodus. "Too many guys fishing" they said.

I asked them how they knew about the site.......they were members.  :-\ I didn't tell them who I was.

But, I went out and caught a bunch of perch anyway.

Fish populations are cyclical in any body of water. It's no one's fault.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline jperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #152 on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:03 AM »
The perch population on Lake Ontario is indeed irregularly cyclical.  I am (almost ;D) the same age as RG and have lived on Lake Ontario almost all of my life.  Same for my father and grandfather before me.  I have seen the perch population rise and fall many times.  There were few cormorants, if any, when I was a kid, no internet.  The lake was more fertile (dirty) than it is now.  I have thought about this quite a bit over the years, I think it is extremely complex as to the factors that control their population levels.  I used to SCUBA dive in the lake quite a bit and can tell you that some years the perch fry were thick some summers and other years not so much at all.  I have never really heard any good explanation from the biologists.  I think the food base has certainly changed from when I was a kid.  Back then scuds were plentiful in the seaweed that covered the rocks and perch and other panfish gorged on them.  The mussels have cleared the water, drastically lowering the seaweed and scuds.  Now we have gobys.  On the other hand, the situation on Conesus Lake seems different.  Again when I was a kid the perch fishery was outstanding.  The perch population crashed decades ago and has not recovered at all as far as I know.  I have heard some explanations for this such as introduction of alewives, but I really don't know.  Too bad though!   jperch

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #153 on: Jan 21, 2018, 01:04 PM »
Bill Abraham, who retired a few years ago from his position as Region 8 Fisheries Manager, wrote a paper that has become a classic in Fisheries Biology,  in which he detailed the relationship between alewife and perch.  Based on Mr. Abraham's work, if the alewife population is low, or the perch spawn hatch early and grow large enough before the alewife come in to spawn, there is high survival of fry, and subsequently, a good year class of  perch to grow to adulthood.  If the alewife population is large, and/or they come in early to spawn, the alewife are capable of nearly wiping out an entire year class of perch in the fry stage.  Bad winters like 13-14 and 14-15 have a very negative effect on Alewife populations, and the phenomenal perch fishing being experienced at Sodus may well be a result of great survival of fry from the springs following those two winters.  When Bob Lange was Lake Ontario Manager, and summarized the Fisheries Congress held in Rochester  a number of years ago, he also pointed to this relationship, and said that DEC would watch the perch populations as an indicator of problems or stress in the alewife population.  The recent adjustments in salmon stocking were based on trawling data saying alewife populations in LO are suppressed, and the great perch fishing confirms that.  If last year's strong year class of one year old alewife comes into spawn when they can still feed down the perch fry, you'll see a downturn in perch population in a few years, and that might be evidence that Salmonid  stocking could be increased again.

Offline jackie bushman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • swimmin' with the fishes
« Reply #154 on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:10 PM »
If pictures are worth a 1,000 words .. I'd say ..
Keep it simple ..

Be mobile .. don't give up !

Be selective ..

Team Capt. Cuba Lake All-Stars .. It's like always being a man up everytime we hit the ice !
Mentor of many future Cuba Lake Legends

Offline tigerwoodsmuskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #155 on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:46 PM »
Very good Post Lucky!

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #156 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:44 AM »
Very good Post Lucky!

Thank you, sir.  I neglected to include that when I was a kid, Conesus Lake was considered one of the finest yellow perch lakes in the western hemisphere, especially in winter.  Someone saw fit to introduce alewife (this was not DEC but one of the " bucket biologists" who have ruined so many New York State waters with their superior knowledge!), and within a few years, the perch fishery collapsed, and it has never recovered.  Over the years DEC tried stocking Rainbow Trout, which did not take despite the deep cold holes in the middle of both parts of the lake, Walleye, which are doing well, but, from what I've seen, are hard to catch except right after the season opens, and most recently , the Tigers.  The reports of larger gills, and more keeper perch mixed in, might indicate that they have finally found a combination of predators that are starting to control the alewife in that lake.   I should probably give the ice fishermen some of the credit on the gills, when I first started on this site they were small, now they are getting up to Honeoye size!!!  ;)

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #157 on: Jan 23, 2018, 03:49 AM »
Yo Lucky, RG and Jperch,

Interesting suppositions all. Lets face it, there is a hand at work here much greater than we can comprehend. I love all these flawed studies. Don't get me wrong, honest attempts to understand the reason 's why we have good years and bad years . I have even interposed a few my self, but as the years go by I am more reluctant to question the reasons and quite content to enjoy the rich or meager perch catch rate as it comes.

When the perch are plentiful as this year, once I have filled the freezer and delivered care packages to all my old shut in friends and family, I turn my quest to honing my skills on other species such as eyes and pannies. In short i am glad this thread has turned a bit more academic  than adversarial. But shame on you Jperch, no one is as old as that "Old Fart"  RG. In experiece at least, haha ;D ;D ;D

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #158 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:05 AM »
Lucky. Thanks for bringing up Bill Abraham. I knew a few people that worked with him. Exactly correct. Interesting, the alewife population also crashed in Conesus and Keuka during those two cold winters. Perch are back in Conesus according to some DEC summer research and personal experience. But, not in any great numbers. Keuka  lake is another story. Even though the alewife population crashed, the lakers and just about everything else prey on baby perch. I know the salmon guys don't like to see low alewife populations but hopefully the ciscoes replace them as a forage base.

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #159 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:25 AM »
Pequod,

I knew Bill a little, and got to speak with him about aspects of the fishery on a number of occasions over the years.  For over 30 years, I have fished Fourth Lake of the Fulton Chain for a couple of weeks in late July-early August when on family vacation, not the best time for fishing but good for the kids.  For a couple of years we did extremely well on Landlocked Salmon in the early morning, trolling with lake clears and small minnows, and watching for surface swirls to chase after.  The fish we kept were loaded with baby perch, no more than an inch long.  I told Bill about this, and he immediately responded that the smelt population in the lake must have been in trouble as Landlocks will focus on smelt totally if they are there.  Speaking with locals who checked the streams during the limited dipping season, I confirmed that they had been catching very few smelt during the years we were enjoying this bounty on the surface.  After a couple of great fishing summers, the smelt came back.  The last 10 or so years, even though we see the raindrop pattern of the schools of baby perch on the surface, we rarely catch a landlock on top, the few we have caught come out of the thermocline on Sutton 44s run behind a downrigger, and they contain smelt the same length as the 44.  Bill definitely knew his stuff!

NOG, not denying the hand of the Greater Power in all this, but if you fall in the lake and pray for help getting out, don't reject the rope thrown by the Coast Guard because God will save you.  Sometimes he works in mysterious ways, and sometimes he just gets one of the rest of us to help out!!!! :) :) :)

Offline harorider4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #160 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:55 PM »
Has anybody ever fished the northern side of the point in the winter months at all?

Offline paulipiker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #161 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:06 PM »
NY FISHING AND REPORTS  and Conditions is not coming up under the New York heading?and ideas of why I can not see the reports and conditions thread?I would like to go out of the Maiden Ln toward Newark island on Thursday morning at O dark 30,and would prefer not to bring the bathing suit.Thanks

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #162 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:15 PM »
I think you have to make at least 3 posts!
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline reeltime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #163 on: Jan 24, 2018, 07:43 AM »
Has anybody ever fished the northern side of the point in the winter months at all?

I would not recommend ever walking on the ice on the north side of the point.  That area is too susceptible to fractures from wave action.  It can have 6 inches of ice on it and 3 hours later its open water.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #164 on: Jan 25, 2018, 11:56 AM »
anybody going off the trestle today or anytime soon? if she holds good i may make a trip over saturday afternoon. been doing well in that area
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Jimbobcooter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • dilly dilly
« Reply #165 on: Jan 25, 2018, 12:56 PM »
looking for an answer to the same question. how is the ice conditions ? also does anyone know how to get ahold of the lodge ?  we stayed there for years haven't been able to get ahold of anyone ...
Dilly, Dilly !!

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #166 on: Jan 25, 2018, 12:59 PM »
looking for an answer to the same question. how is the ice conditions ? also does anyone know how to get ahold of the lodge ?  we stayed there for years haven't been able to get ahold of anyone ...

get a few more posts and you can access the reports and conditions boards. guys are out there today i know that, but dont have an accurate report since im not there lol

Offline kmanz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #167 on: Jan 25, 2018, 01:02 PM »
Id like to try the trestle too.......like it out there a bunch.
Love the peace ice fishing brings

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #168 on: Jan 25, 2018, 01:05 PM »
Id like to try the trestle too.......like it out there a bunch.

ive had decent luck this season out there. gotta move around and find em but thats the name of the game

FrankM

« Reply #169 on: Jan 25, 2018, 01:08 PM »
is the trestle the thing that looks like a grain elevator?

Offline Jimbobcooter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • dilly dilly
« Reply #170 on: Jan 25, 2018, 02:29 PM »
we were new to the bay at the time and we were not having much luck bumped into an old timer at the corner store with a bucket FULL..  asked for advice and we laugh to this day he said ... rosie reds by the old tressel son ! he wasn't wrong haven't been back in 4-5 years had some bad ice on a trip and a few guys went through that year !

Dilly Dilly,
Dilly, Dilly !!

Offline deerkillr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #171 on: Jan 30, 2018, 02:21 AM »
Do you guys think the ice is still safe in Sodus?  I’m headed out that way...

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #172 on: Jan 30, 2018, 04:13 AM »
Do you guys think the ice is still safe in Sodus?  I’m headed out that way...

Yes...Check the reports and conditions page. I posted a detailed report on there 2 days ago and it has been cold since then.  :tipup:
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline deerkillr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #173 on: Jan 30, 2018, 06:12 AM »
Thanks, I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong but I cannot find the reports and conditions page

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #174 on: Jan 30, 2018, 06:26 AM »
Scroll all the way down the page and look for a drop down menu near the bottom right had corner. Here is a link in case you can't find it. Good luck!

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=50.0
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #175 on: Jan 30, 2018, 07:53 AM »
Scroll all the way down the page and look for a drop down menu near the bottom right had corner. Here is a link in case you can't find it. Good luck!

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=50.0

You have to click on "New York" first and then the 3 New York options come up and you click on "Reports and Conditions" one.

Offline tigerking94

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #176 on: Jan 30, 2018, 08:37 AM »
Hey guys looking to come up for the day with my recently retired father was looking for a good parking spot where I won't get myself in trouble if sombody could be so kind an point me in the right direction much appreciacted

Offline deerkillr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #177 on: Jan 30, 2018, 11:31 AM »
Thanks onebucket!

Offline toolmiester

• IceShanty Rookie
Sodus Bay
« Reply #178 on: Feb 04, 2018, 09:07 AM »
Been hearing a bad rumor about someone going thru on Sodus Bay. anyone hear anything about that

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #179 on: Feb 04, 2018, 01:07 PM »
under reports and conditions Iceralph posted that a person went through at 10:30 AM SAt. by Eagle Island in the Connelly's cove area. look it up!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.