Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431075 times)

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #2550 on: Feb 09, 2016, 05:07 PM »
No the atv wasn't given away last year. They had originally tagged 10 yellows and released them the night prior in the spots they assumes would be fished most: Farmer's, Baptist, Mcintosh, Lorenz area I believe and a few other areas I can't remember off the top of my head. None of the yellows were caught and to this day I don't believe any have been caught...Which goes to show just how many yellows are in that lake. Of course it's possible some died or became muskie chow but being none were caught yet really shows how big the Yellow population is. I don't think anyone other than Kevan, Chris and the others helping know how they plan on giving away the quad away this year. Part of me feels it'll be raffled to give everyone a fair chance while part of me feels there will be a little competition to it similar to the tagged yellows. Really don't know how else they could do it...Biggest yellow maybe but ir would be a pain in the rear to go and measure/weigh everyone's top fish. We'll find out Saturday night. Haven't seen Kevan on here but I know Chris is...Wanna give a big thanks to you guys and everyone else that's worked hard to create this event...It's much appreciated by the 505 (Or how many else) other Anglers fishing in the tournament and good luck to everyone else!

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2551 on: Feb 09, 2016, 06:18 PM »
The quad will be given away after the weigh in. Every team entered has a chance to win. They will draw a team number and that team will win it. You must be present to win.

Offline Bullhead King

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Diehard Chicago Bears Fan!
« Reply #2552 on: Feb 10, 2016, 08:48 PM »
I asked Kevan in December when I seen him up in Cabelas on how they are giving away the 4 wheeler.  He told me that each team will have 2 entries. If you are a solo team then you have 2 chances, if your team has 2 people in it then you have a chance and your partner has a chance. It will be drawn after or at the weigh in and you must be present.

I don't know how many teams there are officially as I know there have been some on eBay, but just to use round numbers, if there were 250 teams then you have a 1 in 500 chance of winning it.

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2553 on: Feb 11, 2016, 05:53 AM »
No reason to hang around just go home :) can't wait to drive to clear lake tomorrow.

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2554 on: Feb 14, 2016, 08:02 PM »
how deeps the snow on the lake  also how are the accesses at farmers & the pump house 

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2555 on: Feb 14, 2016, 10:18 PM »
Congrats to everyone that fished the tournament and lasted the whole time. It was a cold, brutal and tough bite.Whiteout conditions in the beginning..Our shack flipped over and snapped a rod and broke my polarized glasses. Didn't mark a fish until two hours in and it was lights out after that...struggled with size...Lots of fish caught just all those skinny 8"s....Ended up 13th with 16.58 pounds...One nice fish from beating my friends that finished 10th. Came really close those last 25 places...Awesome tournament already looking forward to next year!

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2556 on: Feb 15, 2016, 05:57 PM »
Got 67 place. Kicking myself for not sticking it out on big lake all day. Sounds like the bite turned back on when I left for the small lake!

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2557 on: Feb 15, 2016, 10:21 PM »
I talked to guys who kicked butt until 11:30 and then nothing, and I talked to guys who had nothing and kicked butt after 11:30.  Sure is interesting that it happened that way.  After our good run of fish was done we never marked a fish.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2558 on: Feb 17, 2016, 05:42 PM »
Drove on big Lake and little lake today. Wouldn't recommend driving on Farmer's or the south side for little lake. Lots of slushy areas on Farmer's that looked sketchy. Did best on Little lake for yellows

Offline justin1234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2559 on: Feb 17, 2016, 09:22 PM »
thanks bockster.   

Offline crk89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2560 on: Feb 19, 2016, 05:11 PM »
Drove off of L.L.access. ..plenty of ice but I'm sure by tomorrow driving out may be done? Fished for 3 hours with my grandson (7:30 to 10:30) until we couldn't buck the wind anymore! He was a trooper!! Got 25 yellows for our effort...drove around to all the  access points and L.L. was the only place anyone was going off of...10ft and cut bait. Good luck!

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2561 on: Feb 19, 2016, 10:47 PM »
I remember reading someone on here saying it's impossible to catch a limit of eyes and they offered a million bucks to anyone that could get their 3...Well Where's my million? Limit of eyes today...Even threw a couple 16's back.

Saw people driving on Little and big Lake today...I wouldn't recommend it..I'm walking from here out. From what I've heard the access at Mcintosh and Farmer's is bad and the best way to drive a vehicle on is through the pumphouse or Ventura launch. Again I wouldn't recommend driving...Lots of standing water.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2562 on: Feb 20, 2016, 03:34 PM »
Heard a couple trucks got stuck today. Not sure which access
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2563 on: Feb 20, 2016, 04:34 PM »
Two trucks "put their tires through".... one at the Ice heave crossing between big and little lake and one around the channel. I wasn't there, just saw pictures. Looked like the guy at the heave put his front right tire in and the guy around the channel put his front bottom in. Again only saw pictures. Better start breaking out the waders boys...Only a few weekends until we'll be hammering the yellows at the island and shallow water eyes ;D

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2564 on: Feb 23, 2016, 09:27 PM »
What are ice conditions like on little lake, we might make one last trip ice fishing for the year.

Offline whip2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2565 on: Feb 24, 2016, 07:03 AM »
I drove by yesterday about 2:00 and there were only 2 trucks out & they were both on the West side of the little lake.
I would guess that they drove on at the Lynn Lorenzen access.
About 20 more portables scattered elsewhere but we're all on foot.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2566 on: Feb 24, 2016, 04:35 PM »
Thanks whip, we might make the trek one last time. Had fun for sure this year with my son.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2567 on: Feb 26, 2016, 05:43 PM »
have a friend who lives near the lake and was thinking of making one last trip up maybe next weekend or will that be too late.  how are the ice conditions.  thanks

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2568 on: Feb 26, 2016, 09:49 PM »
warning as of 6pm part of heave at farmers beach gave way 4wheeler are done there be careful walking out or back as don't know how long rest will last

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2569 on: Feb 29, 2016, 07:09 PM »
Was on all weekend and today. Still plenty of ice...14-16"...Haven't personally measured but haven't noticed much if any decline in ice. Wouldn't recommend launching at the pumphouse however...Ice over those reeds is only 8" and there were some dead carp that were floating in an opened hole...as in a big square hole not an auger hole. Also it's a muddy mess at the "launch" there. Launched at Farmers today...big ice heave with expose water at the heave just walk over or around it. I did see a quad get over it this morning. Fished at Farmer's and Baptists today...Farmers was better between the two. Baptist was weird...You'd mark fish in a hole but after catching one they'd all be gone..even tried tag teaming a hole and after catching one they'd just vanish. Didn't have that problem at Farmer's. We drilled 150+ holes at Farmer's and another 50 at Baptist...Mobility is key right now. Lots of sorting...Seems you'd catch 3-4 dinks to every keeper. We did best in 7fow. Depends on weather this week but we should be good for this one last weekend...Depends if we get rain or not...Forecast keeps changing. It was supposed to be warm and sunny today but look how that turned out...Supposed to be below freezing next few days but I see nothing but 55-65° from Saturday on up. Enjoy your last weekend on the ice!

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2570 on: Feb 29, 2016, 08:26 PM »
i am about 4 and a half hours from clear lake.  wanting to hit the ice one last time and would like to make a trip up there and hook up with someone who is pretty familiar with the lake this weekend.  could possible be there friday morning.  my parents live in des moines which is about half way and i could stay with them the nite before.  have all my own stuff and just looking to tag along with some fellow shanty members.  don't have any problem drilling my own holes and bringing my own bait.  if someone would be interested in helping out an old boy please pm me.  thanks

Offline minnow_master

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2571 on: Mar 01, 2016, 11:11 AM »
hiya!  Looking to make it out there for my first time this season (And last from the looks of it!) Can anyone chime in on the driving situation or is everyone basically walking out now?  Thanks!

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2572 on: Mar 06, 2016, 05:21 PM »
Ice was still around 12 with lots of water on top. East end of the main lake is starting to open up...Grades opening up too. Might have a few more days of walking if anything. Bite was terrible anyways...All of Farmer's, Baptist and Little lake covered all day with a measley 25 yellows to show for it. Dodges Point is also opening up by West aerator. There's still summer time Clear Lake  forums on the Iowa Sportsman forums l.

Offline pboer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2573 on: Dec 17, 2016, 10:00 AM »
Anybody been out at Clear Lake??? I was on Lake Hendricks and caught small sunnies.  A week ago the ice was 3".

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2574 on: Dec 19, 2016, 07:54 PM »
I see the Dome bait shop is making a comeback.   :clap:

Offline whip2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2575 on: Dec 20, 2016, 04:57 AM »
I did see that there was an added addition to the Dome Building but had no idea it was for a Bait Shop. Any idea when it is supposed to be open?

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2576 on: Dec 20, 2016, 08:14 PM »
No clue on the Dome Bait shop but fished little lake today from 1-4pm. Left with 110 yellows and one walleye. Released several crappie, perch and whites.

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2577 on: Dec 21, 2016, 06:40 AM »
No clue on the Dome Bait shop but fished little lake today from 1-4pm. Left with 110 yellows and one walleye. Released several crappie, perch and whites.
how deep were you fishin

Offline JacobHokanson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2578 on: Dec 21, 2016, 04:59 PM »
i have heard people say "little lake" a bunch of times, are you all referring to the littler looking body of water to the west of the big lake? just south of ventura? I'm sure this is a silly question....

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2579 on: Dec 21, 2016, 05:54 PM »
i have heard people say "little lake" a bunch of times, are you all referring to the littler looking body of water to the west of the big lake? just south of ventura? I'm sure this is a silly question....

You got it figured out.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.